Polar Vest Phase Change Cooling Vest

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Polar Vest Phase Change Cooling Vest

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:35 pm

The Glacier Tek fluid maintains 59°F until the process runs out...

https://www.glaciertek.com/high-visibility/

this is what I have, when I stop, I pull the vest off and dunk the vest with the inserts still in the pockets, in the ice water chest.... give it 20 minutes and the inserts are frozen solid.
holds 59°F for about 2.5 hours for me.
I wear it under my mesh jacket..

if you leave the vest exposed to the oncoming air, it will defrost in about 30 minutes.

I presume the Polar brand is much the same.

Note: if you ONLY freeze the inserts, you are going to be disappointed in the performance of the vest.
dunk it all, let it drip for a minute, and put it on.

~John

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:03 pm

tamathumper wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:10 pm
I know this post is a bit dated (albeit visited regularly and recently), so I'd like to suggest one important correction. It's true that water "freezes" at 32F, and these vests supposedly undergo a similar phase change at 65F. But, neither material can deny the laws of physics. Water gets FAR colder than 32F after it undergoes its phase change, and I'm guessing this liquid likewise can probably get far colder than 65F the same way.

Think of it this way - there's water on Pluto, where the temperature can reach minus 369 degrees. Water can't stay at 32F in those conditions. If you were to put these coolant packs in dry ice (-109 F), I have to assume they'd be dangerous to hold next to your skin, despite the vague wording on the manufacturers' website?

I think this vest sounds fantastic and I want one. But, being the "safety guy" at a major chemical manufacturer that deals with extreme temperatures, I also don't want people to get injured due to misinformation. If I'm wrong, please post in a response and I'll gladly retract my concern.
I just went downstairs to test it: I keep my packs in my deep freezer. I used my IR thermometer to measure the packs while they are in the freezer, and it read 0F, which is the temperature of the freezer.

I then took the packs out of the freezer, and let them sit at ambient room temperature for one minute. They read 15F at that point. Holding it against my shirt for 30 seconds, and then measuring again, they were at 50F.

From my past testing, the cooling packs will rise to 58F, and will sit at exactly 58F for quite a long time (well over an hour, depending on your core temperature), until a fair amount of the phase change material has melted, at which point they will start to rise to body temperature.

Being that they go from 0F to 50F in under two minutes, I don't think there's a worry about injury from low temperatures, unless perhaps you are cooling them in liquid helium? Cooling them in ice water would be even less of a worry, as the rise from 32F to 58F should take in the order of around 30 seconds or so.

It's possible that the core of the phase change material stays cooler, but the outer layer that goes against your skin rises very rapidly to 58F, and stays there. I have no problem taking them right out of the deep freezer at 0F and putting them against my skin (always a layer of material - i.e. a shirt - in between the packs and your skin, as instructed by the manufacturer). It is not uncomfortably cold, and far from injurious.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:22 am

Definitely sounds like "cool stuff". :D

I wish I'd had one last week when I was sitting in traffic with my black leather jacket and it was 96 degrees and 96 percent relative humidity!

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:04 pm

Sounds like the Polar Vest, and the Glacier Tek are very similar.

I used the 59°F as a statement I read from the vendor.
never thought about using my IR gun to measure the insert temperatures after use for 15 minutes.
good idea, I will do that next time.

I just like that I can put that vest on under my mesh riding jacket and be comfortable for 2 hours plus.
~John

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:33 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:04 pm

never thought about using my IR gun to measure the insert temperatures after use for 15 minutes.

I just like that I can put that vest on under my mesh riding jacket and be comfortable for 2 hours plus.
I'm wondering if it would last even longer with the rain liner in the mesh jacket and the polar or glacier vest underneath that to protect it from the wind.

This summer has been a hot one here in TX and once the temp has gone above 90 I've even ditched my mesh gear, lowered my shield, and either use sunscreen or a light UA long sleeve shirt to keep from getting burnt. I would like to put my jacket back on if something like this could keep me cool.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:39 am

Today,

I violated my ATGATT rule.

91°F and 85% humidity....
my daughter has a new little Piaggio MP3 250cc scooter and needs to learn how to ride it.
We have been going at one hour before dark and riding for one hour to get her used to two wheels again. She has never driven a motorcycle, only riding bicycles.

Well, the humidity was so thick I could cut it with a knife, so I just on my helmet, shoes, and jeans, and we puttered along at 15-25 mph until she gets her skill set upgraded.
we can make circles around our six acres of grass, but 5 minutes of that, and she went to the county road instead. Then we went over to a little loop that is about six blocks around....
5 circles on that, and then we went down a main road for about 10 miles and back home.

at 40 mph on the 70 mph highway, I had one of those swimming pool Noodles tied to the trunk so it stuck out to my left side about two feet.... bright orange.

and I used my 4-way flashers all the time, and when cars came up behind us, I started weaving from lane edge to lane edge to force them to get out of our lane and into the left lane.

not one driver acted like I was being stupid, when they got up close to me, they could see the little Piaggio scooter just in front of me, and my daughter sitting on it.

~John

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:10 am

Yes the rain liner would be better than the mesh jacket as any hot wind in the vest will melt the packets faster than wearing a soild jacket will. I wear mine under my leather jacket to keep the heat out.

C-dub wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:33 pm
AZgl1800 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:04 pm

I'm wondering if it would last even longer with the rain liner in the mesh jacket and the polar or glacier vest underneath that to protect it from the wind.

This summer has been a hot one here in TX and once the temp has gone above 90 I've even ditched my mesh gear, lowered my shield, and either use sunscreen or a light UA long sleeve shirt to keep from getting burnt. I would like to put my jacket back on if something like this could keep me cool.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Oh,
I thought about that Rain Liner guys....

but it was back home in the storage bin :D
~John

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:13 pm

newday777 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:10 am
Yes the rain liner would be better than the mesh jacket as any hot wind in the vest will melt the packets faster than wearing a soild jacket will. I wear mine under my leather jacket to keep the heat out.
The polar vest I have is actually somewhat insulated - like you would expect for a thermal vest to keep you warm. Except instead, the insulation is on the outside, with the packs on the inside, and then a very thin layer of polyester between the packs and whatever you're wearing. So even with my mesh jacket on, the packs are relatively protected and insulated from any wind.