Retrofitting LED Brake, tail and turn signals to GL1500

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
  • Sponsored Links
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Retrofitting LED Brake, tail and turn signals to GL1500

Post by MikeB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:51 am

I finally got around to replacing the lights in my saddlebag and trunk lenses.

The saddlebag light lenses are aftermarket and have been on the bike since 2004. The lights were finally going bad and it was either replace the bulbs or retrofit with LED. LED was the best option. The lenses came apart easily since they were screwed together rather than glued together. The process went well and the LED's are nice and bright.

Made the trunk lights looks really bad, though. Now I had to replace them too and I was not looking forward to the hassle of taking those glued puppies apart. I read earlier in this post that those lights are really tough to get apart and it takes a lot of time and patience.

I also remember once upon a time reading that there was an easy way to open them up, so I tired it. Worked really well.

The method I used was to put the light assembly on folded aluminum foil in the oven. I could have used a cookie sheet but I was worried that the cookie sheet would hold heat better than the aluminum foil and mar the lens. Besides, the foil was handy and could be thrown out when finished.

I turned the oven on to 240 degrees. When the oven reached the selected temperature, the light assemblies were all warmed up and ready to open. A slight twist with a screwdriver and they open right up. Fifteen minutes tops.

I didn't clean off the glue. I left it so I could reseal it using the original material. When I had all the LED strips in place, I simply put the light assembly back together, warmed it with my heat gun around its perimeter and squeezed it shut.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 am

MikeB wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:51 am
I finally got around to replacing the lights in my saddlebag and trunk lenses.

The saddlebag light lenses are aftermarket and have been on the bike since 2004. The lights were finally going bad and it was either replace the bulbs or retrofit with LED. LED was the best option. The lenses came apart easily since they were screwed together rather than glued together. The process went well and the LED's are nice and bright.

Made the trunk lights looks really bad, though. Now I had to replace them too and I was not looking forward to the hassle of taking those glued puppies apart. I read earlier in this post that those lights are really tough to get apart and it takes a lot of time and patience.

I also remember once upon a time reading that there was an easy way to open them up, so I tired it. Worked really well.

The method I used was to put the light assembly on folded aluminum foil in the oven. I could have used a cookie sheet but I was worried that the cookie sheet would hold heat better than the aluminum foil and mar the lens. Besides, the foil was handy and could be thrown out when finished.

I turned the oven on to 240 degrees. When the oven reached the selected temperature, the light assemblies were all warmed up and ready to open. A slight twist with a screwdriver and they open right up. Fifteen minutes tops.

I didn't clean off the glue. I left it so I could reseal it using the original material. When I had all the LED strips in place, I simply put the light assembly back together, warmed it with my heat gun around its perimeter and squeezed it shut.
Brilliant. I love it, and will use this method next time I have to do this type of job. Much easier to control the localized amount of heat as well, instead of trying to manage it with a heat gun.

GlimWas
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE Canada Edition, Pearl Atlantis blue, soon to be Candy blue !!
2014 NC750X DCT

Post by GlimWas » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:30 am

Used the same method for my lenses too, worked brilliantly. Tried a spare pair i had on the BBQ............. That ended in tears, plastic tears :roll: :lol:

Going to replace all the lighting on the back with LED, but planning to do it a bit different as Wingadmin, with 15 round 40mm halos for the running lights and 8 fish eye lensed lights for the brakes.
They fit together and are much more noticeable when brakes applied. Will take pictures this winter and report back
Rerum omnium magister usus

GL1100 '80
GL1200 '87
GL1500 '94