How do you brake your Wing?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
1CheeseLouise
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Re: How do you brake your Wing?

Post by 1CheeseLouise »

When I am on the highway in 5th gear, to slow for a turn, I usually begin by downshifting to 4th. Then I will apply both brakes. As I approach the stop, I shift to neutral and then coast while applying the brakes lightly or not at all. Finally at just a few miles per hour. I will finish with the rear brake only . putting my left foot down. Then on to my right, with my left foot on the peg ready to shift to 1st. The wing was tricky to bring to a full stop gracefully when I first got her. I think that was due to the interlocked front and rear braking set up. But lightly feathering at the last half mph with just the rear brake is my technique.

With my foot by the shifter. and flashing my brake lights with my right lever to cars approaching from the rear and after they stop, I am ready to move out of the way of some one who might ram into me. And I am warning them that I am there. The only accidents I've been in have been cars rearending me after they have already stopped.
On an empty roadway, sometimes instead of using just the brakes, I will continue to down shift , 3rd then 2 nd. So, I use the gearbox to slow . 2 nd being just right for a 90 degree turn.

But if you have to stop in a hurry get the bike vertical and apply both brakes hard.

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Post by 2008retiredplb »

BrianD wrote:Well just so everyone can tut tut me, I am a front braker most of the time even when towing my trailer. It's old school training and I have always done this. The only two times I can remember I needed emergency braking I had both brakes on full and the ABS was pumping away like crazy to pull me up straight.
I do use some rear brake if heading down a steep winding road just so it does not dive forward so much.
As I have just had it triked, it will be interesting to see if my style changes over time.
Every motorcycle riding safety class I have taken or have been told about, is to use BOTH Brakes ALL the time. One reason is to get yourself into the automatic application of the brakes so you don't have to remember it when in an emergency situation where you must use both. They call it "muscle memory". You just use more or less braking, front, rear or both, as the situation requires. Using only the front brake is asking for trouble down the road someday.

As far as the use of the rear brake going down a steep winding road, that may be fine or in slow hard turns, I think that is what you might call that "Trail Braking" and mostly used by experienced riders.

Every time you use either brakes it takes weight off the rear wheel of the bike and transfers it to the front wheel. That is why you get the dive when braking. The amount of dive is in relation to the amount of braking. the more braking, the more dive you will feel.

I have seen a really good video on braking that was shown by a motor officer that has taken time to educate motorcycle riders about safe riding. It showed how a motorcycle shifts weight from rear to front in a braking situation and the difference between using both brakes or using either the front or rear alone. Very evident the difference between each. I wish I had the video to post, so you and anyone else could see the difference.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

Mick57
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Post by Mick57 »

Always use both your brakes. As the other guys have stated if you only use your front brake most of the time that is what you will do in an emergency. Using both brakes stops the bike quicker in an emergency than the front or the back.

mweddy@gmail.com
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A, 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500FI, 2000 Kawasaki Ninja, 2000 Honda XR400, 1985 Honda XL350, 1997 XR200, 1983 XR200, 2003 XR80, 2003 Honda XR70, 2000 Honda XR50

Post by mweddy@gmail.com »

It is my humble opinion that you should always use both front and rear brakes during all braking situations. My reason for this is because if a panic situation arises when you need to stop quickly, the most natural thing to do would be what you do most often, and if you need to stop in a hurry, using both brakes is what you need to do.

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 »

From my Super 90 in '69 (305 Super Hawk, CL450,...Shadow ACE, GL1500SE) to my '16 1800, I have always used both brakes simultaneously. Best stopping power and maintains control in all conditions. I also combine slight compression braking to make sure I am in the proper gear should I need to accelerate (you never know).

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Braking on a larger, bigger bike is the same regardless of make and model. I take an advanced riding course every year (find it to be better money spent than that on insurance, but insurance is mandatory) and the message regarding braking is the same every time for all bikes, large or small - rear brake first, front second then apply max pressure by squeezing the front brake lever, and pushing down on the rear brake pedal. The last part of the sequence is to downshift. The rear brake is applied first to minimize the unloading of the rear of the bike - this does happen but is minimized. This sequence happens extremely fast, but is practiced in slow time.

As for ABS brakes, it has been proven that you will stop faster if the ABS is not activated. ABS is a safety item on a bike and should not be used solely to preempt good braking skills.

The instructors are quite good at knowing how you are braking and can tell you exactly what you did and why the bike responded as it did. As everyone has mentioned practice afterwards is paramount.

When I come to a stop I use both brakes, but the closer I get to actually stopping I apply more rear brake and less front brake. I find it results in a more controlled, better looking stop, and I can stop with my right foot on the rear brake and left foot down - practice this every stop.

Just a few more thoughts.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg »

I have to agree with the general recommendation on here, use both brakes all the time.
I started my motorcycle career on a drum braked motorcycle (1982) and you had to use both front and rear brakes because either brake by itself was useless, but 2 useless brakes work better than one.. Then I started racing professionally (with disk brakes) and soon started using only the front brake as the rear wheel is usually just leaving the tarmac if you are braking correctly (this is racing NOT street riding) so applying the rear brake doesn't slow you down (as the wheel is in the air) but does slow down the rear wheel rotation which reduces gyroscopic stability (something you want to keep for as long and as deep as you can into the turn!). On a race track you are riding at the limits of your ability and the style is very different to the street. If you are riding at the limits of your ability on the street, you won't be riding for very long!!
Using both brakes keeps the motorcycle balanced and stable, it balances weight transfer and as stated creates muscle memory which will save your bacon when something does go wrong. Yes you can brake harder in perfectly dry conditions using just the front brake (as the rear wheel should be an inch or two of the road), but that is a DUMB way to ride on the street, you need to keep both wheels on the ground and controlled so that nasty surprises like oil, pot holes, antifreeze, etc don't have you off. The wing is a heavy old girl that needs a lot of stopping, the brakes are not that great in my opinion, but using the front and rear together give a good result and should be encouraged at all times!! :D

Gary

Captron
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda Goldwing trike

Post by Captron »

I USE BOTH ALL THE TIME But I try to plan my stops so I don't have to use the brakes at all or little as possible...... When i know that the traffic light is going to change to red, I'll just coast to the light... Same as a stop sign up ahead, and you know you have to stop..........WHY fly up to that sign @ 50 mph and then apply your brakes to stop, just coast up slowly, and use your brakes as little as possible ..........make "em" last as long as possible..................

I live on the end of a street with a stop sign there, I see it all the time, these drivers fly up the street at 60mph ++ and then stop at the sign....(OR go through it w/o stopping) What a waste of brake pads, rotters and everything included in getting new brake(s) installed.................

Ronnie

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Post by 2008retiredplb »

The best way to know how to brake your Goldwing is take a Safety Riding Class like an Advanced Rider class. then do it every three years after that. It will teach you almost anything you will need to keep safer on the highways. Also by doing it every three years you will not pick up bad habits that you don't even know you did. Our GWRRA organization in Illinois, has some of the best rider coaches around.
Another place to get rider training is through Motorcycle Safety Foundation or maybe your state universities motorcycle safety programs.

When I was on two wheels, my training courses (ARC & now TRC) allowed me to get very aggressive on curves so much so that my co-rider got mad at me for scraping so much "Chrome" in the curves. Now that I ride on three wheels I still take those rider classes. They have saved my but on at least three different cases. Probably even more that I didn't even realize. I have said that I can keep up with many if not most two wheel riders in the curves on my trike.

Big Bob
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800 Premium Audio

Post by Big Bob »

Sadly I use my front brake way more than the combination of front and rear, comes from my years of riding sport bikes, were I primarily used just the front brakes, because you had 2 sets of brakes when you grabbed the front lever. I have been trying to mentally remember to use both lever and the pedal for all braking situations. Although it won't break my heart to have to change the pads, previous owner put in EBC pads, I don't like the pads, they squeak occasionally when coming to a stop and make a buzzing noise when you use them, just need more time to change out the pads. 😕

Bob
Bob Payette
06 Gl1800 Dark Cherry Red
Trying to break it in, only 71k on the clock!
I'd rather be riding than working!!

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Post by 2008retiredplb »

Using the front brake only will get you into big trouble on the Goldwing. You have a 1000 pound bike and add passengers it could get up to 1400 to 1500 pounds. If you loose traction on the front wheel, you WILL GO Down.
I know this as when I first started to ride I was on an 1100cc Honda Shadow and was turning into a driveway entrance and hit some loose gravel or loose asphalt and went down immediately. Was down so quick I couldn't have done anything to keep the bike upright.
I have seen videos of police training were they tried stoping using only the front brakes, using only back brakes and using both brakes. You will stop much quicker using both brakes. Then they showed the same thing on wet roads and it was even more drastic how you will go down by not using both brakes. The difference was enough to get you killed or badly injured in an emergency stop. They showed how a semi pulled out in front of the biker and not using both brakes they collided with the semi when not using both brakes. So if someone that has training like the police motor officer's do can't stop quick enough using anything other than both brakes at the same time, us Goldwing riders surely will not be able to do it either.

That is what you learn in the ARC and TRC riding classes.

On the Goldwing I have found that you can change both front brake pads in about an hour unless you have rotor covers on the bike. You only need to loosen the brake calipers by removing two bolts on each side, not completely removing the calipers, and you can slip the old pads out and put the new pads back on the same way. Rear pads are even easier. It actually is easier to do it than to tell you how.

Big Bob wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:11 pm
Sadly I use my front brake way more than the combination of front and rear, comes from my years of riding sport bikes, were I primarily used just the front brakes, because you had 2 sets of brakes when you grabbed the front lever. I have been trying to mentally remember to use both lever and the pedal for all braking situations. Although it won't break my heart to have to change the pads, previous owner put in EBC pads, I don't like the pads, they squeak occasionally when coming to a stop and make a buzzing noise when you use them, just need more time to change out the pads. 😕

Bob

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Whatever you do in your day to day riding, is what you will do without thinking in an emergency.

If you only use your front brakes, then in an emergency, you're going to grab a fist full of front brake, and down you'll go.

Use both brakes at all times, and in an emergency, you will automatically do the same thing.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

The saying in firearms training... "You will always fall to the level of your training."

LEOs have been known to fire once and put down their weapon even though the threat still existed, housewives have picked up their weapon and racked the slide unnecessarily - costing critical seconds,... All because that's how they trained.
'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 »

My buddy Kevin from MCrider had a video this week on this very subject.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:15 pm
As for ABS brakes, it has been proven that you will stop faster if the ABS is not activated.
:lol:

Please provide your source for *this* nugget of - wisdom...specifically, in a motorcycle application.
Rednaxs60 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:15 pm
ABS is a safety item on a bike and should not be used solely to preempt good braking skills.
Activation of ABS - in a motorcycle application - is the machine doing your (no, not you personally...) job. As a rider, you have failed, now the machine is trying to save your 'bacon' from injury or worse.
“A standard-fit ABS can prevent more than one-quarter of all motorcycle accidents with personal injuries,” is how Gerhard Steiger, president of the Bosch Chassis Systems Control division, sums up the findings of a Bosch accident study.
https://www.bosch-presse.de/pressportal ... 42009.html

That wouldn't have happened in the EU - even with the stringent motorcycle licensing requirements they have - if it didn't work.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

I tip it over and kick it. Sorry, 6 years later, I couldn't help myself. ;)
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Steve F wrote:
Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:45 am
I use 'em both. The bike has linked brakes anyway, so using the rear will also apply the front-left caliper in a limited kind of way, and also applying the front will apply some braking to the rear caliper. But like I said, I use both front and rear as normal operating procedure.
me too...

~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF