1800 tires

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
RD400guy
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Re: 1800 tires

Post by RD400guy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:30 am

For those of you who had the automotive rear tire installed, who did the installation? I'm looking into this and my local Honda motorcycle dealer won't do it, Discount tire won't do it, NTB won't do it. So who did you get to do it?

Rob

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Assend 195x60x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Post by Red Ron » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:26 am

RD400guy wrote:For those of you who had the automotive rear tire installed, who did the installation? I'm looking into this and my local Honda motorcycle dealer won't do it, Discount tire won't do it, NTB won't do it. So who did you get to do it?

Rob
Oddly enough my dealer has started to do it but charge $30 instead of the normal $20. Also make me sign a release. I go ahead and pay it as i figure they will replace the tpms on my '13 if they tear it up. Look around at local Mom & Pop places. I used to get it done at one that only charged me $5 but they couldn't balance it. However I have found that most CT's don't need balancing in the first place.

dadztoy
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPNAM9

Post by dadztoy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:46 pm

I used to run Bridgestone G704/G709 before I went "double dark"... Not a bad combination if you want to stay with MC tires... I am using a car tire like the other posters on this thread however I'm a little different from the other guys, in that I run a Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS (run flat) and a Bridgestone BT45 Battleax on the front in standard configuration...

Here's a little trick to fool the Honda factory TPMS system... Re-register your tires and reverse register them... That is, when the instructions call for placing the registration tool by the front tire, place it by the back tire... Then when the instructions call for the back tire, place the registration tool by the back tire... The Honda System is looking for 36 PSI front and 41 PSI rear +/_ 10%, so the OEM system will complain less, or not at all, using this method abd depending on your tire pressure...

On my bike, I run my Yoko at 32PSI and my Battleax at 41 PSI and the OEM TPMS will complain until the rear tire reaches 34 PSI then it stops... This will usually occur after about 5-10 miles of riding, depending on ambient temperature and if I'm running solo or two-up...

I also use a pre-production Tire Watch TPMS monitor that several of us from another forum were able to buy before they went into production... This device actually reads the OEM sensors and then displays actual tire pressure and tire temperature as well as programmable alarms... Unfortunately, Tire Watch never went into production on this but I sure do like it... See photo below...

My dealer Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga, TN will also mount car tires and also charges $30, but they have the know how with the TPMS sensors, so I don't have a problem with it... BTW, I have changed batteries in my OEM sensors and it's not that difficult if you can solder and turn a wrench... Of course you'll have to get the tire dismounted first, and then remounted after the battery replacement... I made a little video of replacing that battery and the link is below... It's not a great video, but it will give you an idea of what is involved...

Les

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:20 pm

I run Dunlop E-3s and like them but they do cup and feather if run low and as they reach a certain wear point. I started running beads in the last two sets and greatly extended the mileage at which cupping and feather reared their noisy heads; I surpassed 12k miles on the last set and didn't replace them until over 17k (only in preparation for a 2500 mile trip). I could have easily reached 20k before they were questionable tread wise. I run them at 41/44 psi and that too seems to extend their quiet life. Now they are not advertised as run flat but I had a recent occasion to test the capability. Had I known what a blown tire valve sounded like I would have never discovered how sturdy the rear E-3 radial is built. I'd read a report of a couple riding in two up with a trailer for repairs on a 0 psi rear E-3 Radial. My blowing the valve stem sounded like a ricocheted bullet and feeling no burn or issue with the bike I left the rest area at highway speed downhill through the mountains on I-17 for over 25 miles without problem. Once I returned to the desert floor and its 98 degree heat the tire started feeling mushy and started overheating - it was a sad time to get a tow and replacement rear (951 miles into a SS1000). Had I known the sound of a blown valve I could have stopped and made repairs (yes I carry valve stems), having no knowledge or TPMS I was taught a lesson I'll never forget. I was lucky as loaded as I was and towing a trailer but I swear by my E-3s that I get 19k out of consistently, albeit a final noisy 4-5k.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Old Butt
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by Old Butt » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Hello, I'm new to the Gold Wing world and want to go double dark. Does anyone know if I can use a bias belt rear M/c tire on the front and a car radial on the rear safely? BTW - 2006 Goldwing ABS, Navi, White, 121K

Thanks, Old Butt

nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPN, April 24, 2017

Post by nitefuzz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:05 pm

I had E3's on my 2009 GL1800, they were cupped bad from the PO, I had wheel wobble between 35 and 40mph (only came when reducing speed) after putting on new E4's the wobble is completely gone. They ride excellent and no road noise. I have dyna beads in them also. 2 oz in the front tire and 3 oz in the rear tire.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:38 pm

All tires not just Dunlops will cup and feather even the new E-4s but I run beads and Max pressure and they wear very long for me 17-19k miles. Dunlops just get attacked a lot more. If you want to wear them fast run then few psi below max (-3 psi is just enough). I stuck with the E-3/4s because both have saved my fanny when I had a valve stem rip out and had immediately 0 psi. I now have FoBo and steel bolt through T valves. My front tire valve blew out less then a month ago, and at 80mph I remained in control and was able to pull over two lanes to the shoulder safely with in a mile then limp another mile to the exit for repairs. The front E-4 shows no adverse wear and I am still on it... With the new valve stems I had been waiting to install.

As for the double dark side question, their are some Alaska riders that run double dark and studded. Not sure what forum I read about them, but they were chatting in a darkside group. I can't remember what the front tire was unfortunately.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black
2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Andy Cote » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:03 am

Darkside is running a tire designed for a car on the rear of a motorcycle.

Double Darkside is running a tire designed for the rear of a motorcycle on the front in conjunction with a Darkside rear. It is NOT running a front tire that was designed for a car.

Many motorcyclists have successfully mixed radial and bias ply tires. The old adage of not mixing relates to two tires on the same axle.
DARKSIDE #1500
2018 Goldwing, basic black
2000 Valkyrie Interstate, blue/silver

Previously: GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

Old Butt
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by Old Butt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks you very much Andy !

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:33 am

e,g,

I have a radial CT on the rear,
a bias ply rear m/c tire on the front ( gives more rubber and a stronger sidewall for a more positive steering feel)

~John