DEFINE; Biker and Motorcyclist

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Re: DEFINE; Biker and Motorcyclist

Post by FM-USA » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:52 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:We can learn everything about most anything from books or the internet, but some have to go see it for themselves. :)
With 'Virtual Reality' goggles coming, traveling is going to become RARErererer.

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:21 pm

I don't think virtual reality would ever replace all the elements of the journey. The sun, rain, the heat or cold, the reliance on one's self to keep going day after day.
And the thrill! Traveling unknown highways and coming out of a long sweeper you entered just a tad too fast but coming out with that big smile on your face, and an unspoken promise to yourself to be more careful. :)
I think it'll be a long time before motorcycle touring is replaced with anything. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Post by Sadanorakman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:28 am

Biker or Motorcyclist?

I came across a guy in his late fifties/early sixties and his wife last night at a supermarket, climbing off of a ratty, tatty old Kawasaki V-Twin that looked like a Harley. According to the registration plate, it was from 1996. When I say ratty, this is not meant as a derogatory term. Maybe it is all this guy could afford, or maybe he had owned it from new, had ridden the arse off of it for over 20 years of adventurous miles, and was dearly, emotionally attached. maybe it was just his second ride that he was using whilst his Ducati was in for repair (That's not like an Italian bike). What was certain though, was that it had seen better days!

I complemented him on his bike, and he was pretty surprised, saying 'what this old thing?' I said 'Yes, absolutely! ...Nothing wrong with that old girl!' It was obvious that this man had motorcycling in his soul. He then asked me If I had a bike myself, and I had to say 'Well, sort-of', as I'm kind of in Limbo at the moment. I then showed him the photo of me loading my 'New' GL1500 onto the recovery truck last week in Tenerife ready to be shipped home to the UK.

We shook hands, and parted as new acquaintances, with a level of mutual respect.

WHAT A LOVELY, UNASSUMING, DOWN-TO-EARTH GUY. I don't know whether he would call himself a Biker, or a Motorcyclist, and I really don't care. I think that riding a motorcycle appeals to to such a diverse audience... its just a matter of quite how deeply it is baked-into your soul. Different strokes for different folks.
I know some people ride purely out of necessity, and probably don't enjoy doing so, but I think this is the exception.

Most of us have a deep love for riding which binds us subconsciously to the brother/sisterhood of all those who ride. It does so with a shared respect, regardless of what they ride, or of what compels them to ride!
There are two types of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data,

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:18 am

Definitions of Biker and Motorcyclist taken from 'The Minimac Book of Opinions':
Biker- in it for the "Look at me and my machine"
Motorcyclist- in it for the pure "joy of the ride", no matter what it is ridden, on two or three wheels.

garwil
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Post by garwil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:43 am

dingdong wrote:
Thu May 07, 2015 7:34 am
Same question on a couple of other MC forums. Sound familiar? This question comes up all the time on every forum and the responses are always the same. Kinda like a Rorschach test for "motorcycle riders". Says a lot about the personality of the responders. Always interesting and fun to read. :)

http://www.ymhmotoboard.com/topic/diffe ... ycle-rider

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 333AAp4RA2
So, what kind of bike did this Rorschach guy ride?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:40 am

Here he is on his bike. You decide.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

garwil
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Post by garwil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:52 pm

dingdong wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:40 am

rorsache.jpg
Kind of looks like a Harley to me. :lol:

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:49 pm

garwil wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:52 pm
dingdong wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:40 am

rorsache.jpg
Kind of looks like a Harley to me. :lol:
Possibly a big clown on a little clown bike?

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.