GONE TO THE DARKSIDE

Reference information handy in one place - part numbers, aftermarket equivalents, circuit diagrams, and more
DaRamblerman
Motorcycle: 87 GL1200A. 129,600 miles

Re: GONE TO THE DARKSIDE

Post by DaRamblerman »

I picked this up from another darkside thread on the GL1800 site this is an answer for the front for people who have darkside on rear. "Most will agree with keeping a front motorcyle tire on if you're aggresive and running a rear motorcycle tire on the front if you're not." What is the advantage to running a rear tire on the front? Thanks.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

DaRamblerman wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:39 pm
... What is the advantage to running a rear tire on the front? Thanks.
More contact patch and more miles before replacement.
8-)
The one's I use gets me near 40,000 miles. Combine that to the Austone's 80K miles. It's a 2 fronts to 1 rear ratio.
I'm a tour rider, not a zoom-splat, hence the tires longevity.

:P I like riding more than changing tires.
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."

DaRamblerman

Post by DaRamblerman »

Thnx Happy New Year!!!

Danielhbeal1974
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Post by Danielhbeal1974 »

Well, I just got my first wing last year, and this year i decided to go over to the "Darkside". I have read way too many articles on the subject and have concluded that there are people who strongly say its safe and people who swear it will kill you. As you can tell, i have sided with the former. I have a 1989 GL1500, and i'm a rather hefty fella as is my wife. this was one reason i decided to go with the CT as i believe from the posts i've read, that it has a better load capability than the MC tire. We also pull a trailer from time to time.

I chose to go with a Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST ROF 175/60R16XL 86H BSW and i purchased a new front tire, dunlop elite 4 as well. I'm planning on getting my lift within the next couple of weeks, i live in ohio so no need to rush, could be snow on ground still at that time, which i'm hoping will help with the rear change out.

Can anyone give me any feed back on the Wintersport? and anything i should expect handling wise to change with my GL1500?

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

the wintersport is a fantastic tire but there is one big issue. I don't know of anyone that has ever been able to mount one by hand. when I put the first WS ROF on my wing it took 3 of us on the powered motorcycle mount machine to get it on and then it took 115 PSI to get it to seat properly. after that all was golden until it was time to replace it. by then I didn't have access to a powered tire machine and no-one would touch it. So I had to cut it in half to get it off the wheel. I use the GY Fuel Max now and I can mount it by myself. I have been very happy with it's performance. I suggest find a bike shop with a good tire machine and talk to them about mounting it. also spend the money and replace your isolators. be sure to lube both ends of your driveline good with molly because it is going to be a while before you have it apart again. Next time you need a front tire you might consider going double dark
now to it's handling, it is going to feel a bit weird at first and will feel squishy or like it's swaying a little at highway speeds, this goes away rather quickly. I suggest give yourself time to get used to the different feel in curves but you will quickly find it holds the ground like glue. Me personally I like to keep mine at the max pressure of 50 or 51 PSI and find it wears very evenly. even now that I have added a sidecar I get great performance from the CT.

Danielhbeal1974

Hmm, i guess the one thing i didnt look into was where i would be able to get this tire installed on the rim. I assume that most bike shops will not do this, and i dont have access to a tire machine. any suggestions or is it just call around until someone says yes? Also, can any car tire machine be used or does it take a special set up to remove and install motorcycle tires?
I just got the tire in yesterday, and now i fear i may never find someone to mount it. :(

thanks for the reply, that was very helpful.

aj1500
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

it does take a machine for motorcycles, just call around to all your local shops and ask but it will most likely be a non dealer that will do it.
good luck hopefully you will find someone that will be willing to do it. there are a few dealers that will do it so it never hurts to ask

DaRamblerman

Post by DaRamblerman »

aj1500 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:45 pm
the wintersport is a fantastic tire but there is one big issue. I don't know of anyone that has ever been able to mount one by hand. when I put the first WS ROF on my wing it took 3 of us on the powered motorcycle mount machine to get it on and then it took 115 PSI to get it to seat properly. after that all was golden until it was time to replace it. by then I didn't have access to a powered tire machine and no-one would touch it. So I had to cut it in half to get it off the wheel. I use the GY Fuel Max now and I can mount it by myself. I have been very happy with it's performance. I suggest find a bike shop with a good tire machine and talk to them about mounting it. also spend the money and replace your isolators. be sure to lube both ends of your driveline good with molly because it is going to be a while before you have it apart again. Next time you need a front tire you might consider going double dark
now to it's handling, it is going to feel a bit weird at first and will feel squishy or like it's swaying a little at highway speeds, this goes away rather quickly. I suggest give yourself time to get used to the different feel in curves but you will quickly find it holds the ground like glue. Me personally I like to keep mine at the max pressure of 50 or 51 PSI and find it wears very evenly. even now that I have added a sidecar I get great performance from the CT.
A friend of mine has a Honda VTX1300 and darkside rear. He runs down near 25-30 psi. No problems.

aj1500
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

A friend of mine has a Honda VTX1300 and darkside rear. He runs down near 25-30 psi. No problems.

yes you can run them that low with no issues but the wing is big and heavy, in my case I rode 2 up a lot and pulled a camper so it was better to run it a full pressure, now with the sidecar it's the same. either way the WS is a great tire

Danielhbeal1974

Well, i just ordered the second main thing i needed for the ole garage to do this tire change thing. Getting an aPlus motorcycle lift 1500lb table this week. I also may have found a willing person to mount the car tire once i remove the wheels. Wish me luck! i'm really looking forward to this change.

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by nwkwinger »

Be sure to give us your feedback.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

I mount my tires by hand and haven't had any issues. I use my China Freight press to break the tire beads, three tire irons, (for on and off),and lots of lube for mounting. I've never needed more than 80psi to seat a tire. I've found that the 'squishiness" feeling is pressure related. The higher the tire pressure, the better it handles and feels. I found that most CTs respond well to pressures in the 46-52psi range. Because I mounted a radial CT in the rear of my 1500, when it was time for a front tire, I switched to a radial. All I can say is wow, what a positive difference! I also started using ceramic beads for balancing at that time and haven't experienced any cupping or uneven wear in a few years now.

Danielhbeal1974

minimac wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:25 am
I mount my tires by hand and haven't had any issues. I use my China Freight press to break the tire beads, three tire irons, (for on and off),and lots of lube for mounting. I've never needed more than 80psi to seat a tire. I've found that the 'squishiness" feeling is pressure related. The higher the tire pressure, the better it handles and feels. I found that most CTs respond well to pressures in the 46-52psi range. Because I mounted a radial CT in the rear of my 1500, when it was time for a front tire, I switched to a radial. All I can say is wow, what a positive difference! I also started using ceramic beads for balancing at that time and haven't experienced any cupping or uneven wear in a few years now.
I've been thinking of getting the bead breaker, but with all the investments so far, i think i will wait, unless i just cant get someone to mount the CT. then i will have no choice.

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by nwkwinger »

I have bought my own tires tools as well. I mount all of my own tires by hand. The only thing that I don't own is a tire balancer so I've been switching over to balancing beads in my tires too. With the number of ATV tires (not to mention truck and motorcycle tires) that I mess with, I have bought all of my own tools and still saved money compared to what they charge at a tire shop. Not to mention the savings on the price of new tires.

Danielhbeal1974

nwkwinger wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:42 am
Be sure to give us your feedback.
I received the lift the other day and put it up, so far i'm very pleased with it. I plan on getting the ole wing up there this weekend to remove the wheels.

I am glad i spent the extra cash for the 1500lb and extensions.

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 VT1100 Shadow

Post by blupupher »

So what has been the replacement for the 175r16 Austone Taxi Tire that seemed to be popular for a while but I can't seem to find now?
I am darkside on my VT1100 and the GL1500 I should be getting will be going darkside at the first tire change.
Just not sure what to get for it since the Austone was so highly recommended.
Seems the General Altimax is still a popular choice for many.

on a semi related question, does the speedo work off the rear tire? If so, then I would want an as close to stock size to keep an accurate speedo, correct (or even a slightly taller one, does the 1500 speedo read slow like all other Honda's)?

Danielhbeal1974

blupupher wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:02 pm
So what has been the replacement for the 175r16 Austone Taxi Tire that seemed to be popular for a while but I can't seem to find now?
I am darkside on my VT1100 and the GL1500 I should be getting will be going darkside at the first tire change.
Just not sure what to get for it since the Austone was so highly recommended.
Seems the General Altimax is still a popular choice for many.

on a semi related question, does the speedo work off the rear tire? If so, then I would want an as close to stock size to keep an accurate speedo, correct (or even a slightly taller one, does the 1500 speedo read slow like all other Honda's)?
Speedo is on the front wheel.
I dont think there has been a definitive replacement for the Austone. I'm going with the wintermax as it seems to have had the most good reviews that i came up with in my online research. I just got the rear wheel off this weekend, so i hope to have the tire mounted within the next week or so.

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 VT1100 Shadow

Post by blupupher »

Danielhbeal1974 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:35 pm
I dont think there has been a definitive replacement for the Austone. I'm going with the wintermax as it seems to have had the most good reviews that i came up with in my online research. I just got the rear wheel off this weekend, so i hope to have the tire mounted within the next week or so.
Thanks.
What size did you go with? Seems 195/55/16 is a popular size for the 1500 (aside from the 175R16 of the Austone).
Taller tire so less acceleration, but lowers the RPM's at cruising speed. It also raises the bike some vs stock size (not sure how I fit on the bike yet, will be going to look at it Thursday).

Danielhbeal1974

blupupher wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:59 pm
Danielhbeal1974 wrote:
Thanks.
What size did you go with? Seems 195/55/16 is a popular size for the 1500 (aside from the 175R16 of the Austone).
Taller tire so less acceleration, but lowers the RPM's at cruising speed. It also raises the bike some vs stock size (not sure how I fit on the bike yet, will be going to look at it Thursday).
This is the size i went with and was recommended: Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST ROF 175/60R16XL 86H BSW

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Danielhbeal1974 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:18 pm
blupupher wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:59 pm
Danielhbeal1974 wrote:
Thanks.
This is the size i went with and was recommended: Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST ROF 175/60R16XL 86H BSW
if I still owned a 1500, that is the tire that I would choose also.
I recommend it when asked what to use.
  • has a nice rounded edge making it feel more like the E4, and with excellent rain sipping, it does not slip or hydroplane ( unless you hit a lot of water at airplane speeds )
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

Danielhbeal1974

I just looked at the new winter max and it is definately shorter than the motorcycle tire...is that normal? Will that cause any major issues?

Danielhbeal1974

Well, couldn't find anyone to mount the tire, called a friend and the two of us and 3 spoons were able to finally mount it. It went back together nicely. Had to replace rear caliper, frozen, couldn't even get the pistons out to rebuild. Changed all three sets of pads while I was at it. Still not happy with pedal pressure on foot brake, but it does work. The table was god sent. Definately recommend getting one.