Radio Replacement ideas

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike
1995 Kawasaki gt550 Trike

Re: Radio Replacement ideas

Post by terryt »

Chronos70 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:56 am
Does anyone out there have access to the full schematics diagram for the radio with tape player, and the integrated intercom? I'm wanting to include certain features and can't find circuits that will work.

TIA
:)
Is this what your are after for a 1995

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

If you are asking for the wiring diagrams you can download the PDF file in the following link.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... agram.html

If you are asking for the circuit diagram of the unit you can download the PDF file in the manuals section in this forum. Although that file is not for the SE model it may help.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings »

try - this - Marine Boat Gauge Radio FM AM Audio Bluetooth Stereo Receiver +4" 2 Way Speakers - eBay item number:
222328657601 - and then look at this on you tube -

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
and

and

and

also go to - /Manuals.asp?type=GL1500 - hope this may help !!! .. :D :D :D :D :D

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

Personally, I would prefer the OEM stereo to stay in place.

Dennis613l
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Post by Dennis613l »

I'm a little late on this...something I've wondered maybe doing myself.
Aside from the previous gps, etc......

Would be nice to have a simple integrated compass, air temperature, and some engine monitoring (voltage, oil pressure, etc..)
For those of us that don't use the cb anymore, would be nice to be to use the handlemounted cb switches to toggle through screens.

fibersport
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500
2002 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe

Post by fibersport »

I'm going to throw this out there just in case it helps someone's thought process. I drive a 2007 Audi A4 when I'm not riding and it has a center mounted display between the speedometer and tachometer. This display shows temp, radio station, phone info and mp3 titles. The version I have is LED and is limited in characters, there was a newer design that I think was LCD and was in color, mine is red letters/numbers. The reason I brought this up is that I had picked up a aux-in/usb/bluetooth unit that also interfaced with the radio and center pod. I don't know if it can be incorporated but it seems it could maybe solve some issues. The brand is Denison and I bought it from Chritian at Enfig.com. I do not have any connection with the vendor, only mention him because he was very helpful. I don't know if anything could be made to work but you never know.

Chronos70
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by Chronos70 »

Dennis613l wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:08 pm
I'm a little late on this...something I've wondered maybe doing myself.
Aside from the previous gps, etc......

Would be nice to have a simple integrated compass, air temperature, and some engine monitoring (voltage, oil pressure, etc..)
For those of us that don't use the cb anymore, would be nice to be to use the handlemounted cb switches to toggle through screens.
This is what my ride has to offer me in the way of switch realestate:

The top area next to the mute button looks prime for a PS3 style directional button control. Haven't had the chance to take it apart and look to see if it'd fit yet. I've also had the idea of using the CB location to put some sort of custom made satellite radio receiver there, but I can't seem to find any information about a Satellite radio chip that I can build a circuit around. I'm hoping with the merger of XM and Sirius Radio that that may change. I can't use an existing unit and cannibalize it because I'd be sued for copyright infringement.

The displayed information on screen will include the above mentioned information.

As mentioned in previous posts, I've moved away from a strictly; display on radio all-in-one unit that would be easier to make; and have moved towards a unit in the radio area, plus a display in the dash area replacing the analog spedo / tach and LCD display that would have a custom display option. With a software option that would emulate the analog dials for those that like that look.

Thanks for the continued interest, and as always: Keep the rubber side down!
Where are we going, and what's with this basket?

wiretician
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1993 GL1500SE (gone, but not forgotten)

Post by wiretician »

As wingdings shows an aftermarket radio adapter, if you go this route, you might consider this. Look into the PAC (Pacific Accessory Corp) Model - SWI-PS. I'm toying with the idea to go on my GL1200I. It is an aftermarket steering wheel remote interface. It has a list of radios that are compatible. Had started out trying to insert an AM/FM/CD, where the aftermarket automotive Audiovox was (died). Problem was the CD is longer than cassette, wouldn't fit unless I make an extension (about 3"), didn't want that. Came across the PAC unit, a little research and I believe that it will work nicely. Since the 1200 didn't have any remote controls, I found on eBay, a Valkyrie radio control for the left side like the 1500 has. I'll mount it on the left and program the SWI-PS for each of the functions. Which is simple, there is a list of resistor values to put inline with the PAC, so that it knows the switch you are activating. I chose a radio that is a little more modern, has USB, SD slot, and Aux ports. Since it doesn't have a CD or cassette, it is much shorter and will be easier to install in the 1200, but more to the point, on the center console of the 1500. And it already has the remote switches on the handle bar. I'm going to tackle this after I get some tires and get it back on the road. Was thinking of taking pictures and sharing the experience. Just a thought.
Experience in the Maintenance Field: Nothing is "Foolproof" to the Talented Fool. There are some that would break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Roughridercog
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing 1500

Post by Roughridercog »

wingdings wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 am
try this - if you can get some one to make it for you - used to be sold on ebay
What would I search for exactly on ebay? Radio housing for Honda Interstate or what?