How to replace your universal joint (and driveshaft)

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1500
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: How to replace your universal joint (and driveshaft)

Post by Swagonmaster »

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:10 pm
Magerton wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:40 pm
Hello all; So like the others have said, thanks for the great tutorial! I did have one question. After I removed the drive shaft, I was unable to pull it free, i was going to change out my drive shaft while I had it down that far. It felt like something was holding it in, a clip ring or something! When I looked at your instructions, (picture 48) I seen where yours was laying free from the final drive I think that's what its called, the part the wheel mates up with. Wasn't sure if there is a special tool or what. I ended up putting the bike back together, with the new universal joint. Will finish putting it back together tonight. Thanks again for the instructions and for this site and for all the members here willing to help someone like me!!
Mike
There is just a seal holding it in place, so you just need to give it a bit of a wiggle and pull harder. It will come out.
And things that have been together for 30 years aren't going to want to part company easily, for crying out loud DON'T FORGET to lube the sliding parts when you reinstall them!

Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Post by MikeB »

chezuki wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:54 am
MikeB wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:31 pm
MNAspencade wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:24 pm
I have an early model gl1500 (1989) and suspect a u joint issue. Vibration in the foot pegs and noises when going through dips in the road. I was wondering what he process was for replacing the u joint and boot. Is it just a matter of pulling back the boot and pushing the u joint back and pulling it out through the front? or do I still need to remove the wheel and drive shaft but not the swing arm bearing?

Thanks for the help
I am pretty sure you need to follow along with what is posted in this topic. From 1988 through 2000, the procedure will be the same.
I had the same question... Early in this post it's mentioned that earlier model 1500's did not require as much disassembly to replace the u joints. Is that all years before the 1997 beefier u joints?

"According to the official Honda Service Manual, an unbelievable amount of parts have to be removed in order to replace the universal joint, from the wheel, swingarm, battery box, and more. In reality, this is not true - for earlier GL1500's the universal joint can be removed without disassembling anything at all. For later GL1500's (and to install the larger universal joint in earlier GL1500's) the universal joint can be replaced by removing one of the swingarm pivots and sliding the swingarm slightly to one side."
Even if it would be possible to remove the old universal joint without much disassembly, you can not install the new one without removing one of the swing arm pivots and sliding the swing arm slightly to one side. The older universal joints are no longer available and you will be installing the new heavier universal joint.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

chezuki
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Post by chezuki »

MikeB wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:12 pm
chezuki wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:54 am
MikeB wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:31 pm

I am pretty sure you need to follow along with what is posted in this topic. From 1988 through 2000, the procedure will be the same.
I had the same question... Early in this post it's mentioned that earlier model 1500's did not require as much disassembly to replace the u joints. Is that all years before the 1997 beefier u joints?

"According to the official Honda Service Manual, an unbelievable amount of parts have to be removed in order to replace the universal joint, from the wheel, swingarm, battery box, and more. In reality, this is not true - for earlier GL1500's the universal joint can be removed without disassembling anything at all. For later GL1500's (and to install the larger universal joint in earlier GL1500's) the universal joint can be replaced by removing one of the swingarm pivots and sliding the swingarm slightly to one side."
Even if it would be possible to remove the old universal joint without much disassembly, you can not install the new one without removing one of the swing arm pivots and sliding the swing arm slightly to one side. The older universal joints are no longer available and you will be installing the new heavier universal joint.
Gotchya thanks.

Jetfighter3
Motorcycle: 1993 gl 1500A aspencade

Post by Jetfighter3 »

There is a much easier and faster way. There is a post on this web site with pictures showing what to do as well. It's just a matter of removing the seat, take off the lower sub frame bolts and loosening the upper ones. Then simply raise the entire saddle bag and trunk , it will pivot on the upper sub frame bolts , then tie off to your handle bars to hold it in place while you work. I use this method to do my breaks and change my rear tire as well.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Jetfighter3 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:48 pm
There is a much easier and faster way. There is a post on this web site with pictures showing what to do as well. It's just a matter of removing the seat, take off the lower sub frame bolts and loosening the upper ones. Then simply raise the entire saddle bag and trunk , it will pivot on the upper sub frame bolts , then tie off to your handle bars to hold it in place while you work. I use this method to do my breaks and change my rear tire as well.
An easier and faster way to replace the drive line universal joint? I'm pretty sure that is not correct.
Raising the saddlebag/trunk sub frame assembly is probably okay for wheel and tire replacement but you must not have a trailer hitch.
With a trailer hitch installed, it is not easy to use the method you are describing.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Jetfighter3

Post by Jetfighter3 »

Yes I have a trailer hitch.

Jetfighter3

Post by Jetfighter3 »

I'll try to find that post and repost it.

Jetfighter3

Post by Jetfighter3 »

So I down loaded and printed the article. The topic reads: Removing the rear wheel without disassembling the bike. This is under GL1500 DIY Articles.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Yup, I read it. Removing the rear wheel and final drive and drive shaft is possible doing this procedure and from what it says, and in most cases you can even leave your hitch on.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA