The idiots are out there

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Re: The idiots are out there

Post by FM-USA » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:58 am

We're 1.25 miles from Lake Mich. and downtown Waukegan.
Coyote started filtering in here several years ago. A couple years ago I seen this areas first wolf. :shock: Ya, a real wolf.
MUCH more than usual raccoons, possums, skunks, squirrels, chipmunks... makes me wonder when were going to see zebra, leopards, elephants, camels, lions & tigers oh my. :?

NO, WAIT... there were zebra & camels on a farm in s.e. Wisconsin. Seen them mmm-maybe 7 years ago on someone's farm, it wasn't some petting zoo or private game hunting land.

MY POINT? . . . . . forgot.
OH, neighbor feeds the critters, (that's the IDIOT around here).
Now we have to watch so much more on night rides for all these extra critters. :evil:
3-4 weeks ago ran over my first raccoon, lucky it was medium size. Felt like a soft 2.5 x 8 inch board... if you can imagine that. Had to go back and see what I hit, had no idea where it came from... just THUMP-THUMP. Around here I've seen a few raccoons with basketball sized bodies. I'm NOT interested in hitting those.

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:24 pm

People around here feed the deer, and they come down to the lake in droves - 30 to 40 at a time. Morons.
'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:00 pm

tamathumper wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:24 pm
People around here feed the deer, and they come down to the lake in droves - 30 to 40 at a time. Morons.
And I thought a herd of "box cars" was bad. :)

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:39 pm

I am in Eureka Springs, Arkansas for the Labor Day weekend.

it is Motorcycle heaven, and 10 times more bikes than cars.....

came upon a really sharp curve, and miss molly in her straw hat is mowing the yard, and blew a solid mat of grass clear over to the center line :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
~John

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:08 pm

I believe discharging grass clippings on roadways is illegal in all States.

Past couple years my rides in Wisconsin I seen residents doing it more often. One fair turn had fresh grass clippings & THE DUDE still mowing. I felt my tires lose traction but not entirely. Slowed down and as I passed THE DUDE, I yelled "CLEAN THIS ROAD!"
I stopped 1/2 mile down the road to get a soda then maybe 15 mins later retraced my route. Yup, road was cleared and THE DUDE was nowhere in site.
This is one of many incidents, someday someone is going to die from it.
GRRRRRRRR!!!!!

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Here in Florida, the county does it. My last wreck was from hitting that grass, at night, just after passing a car going the other direction, and on a curve. $5000 damage and a broken ankle and many scrapes, after being high sided. They don't care, its not them. I got repaired and healed up. My insurance paid for it all.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:11 pm

seelyark1 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:14 pm
Here in Florida, the county does it. My last wreck was from hitting that grass, at night, just after passing a car going the other direction, and on a curve. $5000 damage and a broken ankle and many scrapes, after being high sided. They don't care, its not them. I got repaired and healed up. My insurance paid for it all.
Sounds like at max, 2nd degree attempted murder.
Glad you're all right.

(additional)
My point on 'attempted murder'.
The State maintence department knows the laws where roadway safety is primary for workers & public. Leaving hazardous material on a public roadway is at minimum a common sense No-No.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:59 pm

I went for a 200 km. ride today. Traffic was horrendous. And a lot of drivers just don't seem to give a f#*k. I'm really starting to wonder if it's worth it. The day before yesterday was perfect riding weather. I did 475 kms. It was beautiful. But you know? You have to be watching every second. If you don't, you're gonna get it. Guaranteed!
I made a nice slow right hand turn from the highway onto a sideroad. About 100 feet after the turn, there's an intersecting road on the right. There sits a young guy, in his early 20s, stopped at his stop sign in a pickup truck, waiting to pull out. He hasn't seen me, as he's looking to his right at a car that's approaching our intersection. The car keeps coming, and eventually passes in front of the pickup. Right after that, and without looking in my direction, he pulls right out in front of me. He probably looked my way when he first came to the stop sign, but I wasn't part of the scene yet. Then he got focused on the car approaching on his right. And when it was past, he didn't check in my direction, and out he came. I get on the brakes heavy and stop. He finishes his turn and gives me a stupid look. And that was the end of it.
As soon as I had started my turn I sized up the whole scene. I saw him. I saw the other car. And I thought, sure as hell he's not going to look my way before he pulls out. So I was ready. And I was right. He didn't look.
Crap like that is happening more and more often. I love to ride. I've been riding for over 40 years. But I'm seriously thinking about packing it in. Anyone else thinking that way?

Lucked out again..........................Dave :D
"Assume Nothing"

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:25 pm

When I see what you just described, I start weaving from center lane to road edge and slowing down, and with ALL the lights I have glaring at him, and the Air Horns blowing for all the good that will do.

if you stay in a Straight Line and sitting Vertical, YOU ARE INVISIBLE.

that has been proven many times with a LOT of studies made on the subject.

The human eye can ONLY DETECT A MOVING OBJECT.

you stare at something for a few seconds and it will disappear.

=============================

Just a few hours ago, I am in our car, Signaling for a Right Turn into a business, going the posted speed limit in a town only 1 mile long from north to south.... but our main street is US Highway 169.
I am being passed by vehicles going 10 to 15 miles faster than the posted 45 mph speed limit, and jerking into my lane trying to take my left front fender with them.

I need to turn off into the Dollar General which has a huge big yellow sign, and with me Signaling to turn, and tapping the brake lights for the idiot behind me to slow down, it is obvious that he is NOT even looking in front of him, not at all. I had to floor board the gas as I turned into the Dollar General lot to keep that assjerk from rear ending my car!!!
~John

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:37 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:25 pm
I need to turn off into the Dollar General which has a huge big yellow sign, and with me Signaling to turn, and tapping the brake lights for the idiot behind me to slow down, it is obvious that he is NOT even looking in front of him, not at all. I had to floor board the gas as I turned into the Dollar General lot to keep that assjerk from rear ending my car!!!
Sometimes I wish I had an old beater truck again, for this exact reason.

I can remember on the highway, some inattentive woman was driving behind me. Traffic suddenly came to a stop ahead of me. I braked hard, and from force of habit from years of motorcycle riding, immediately looked in my rear view mirror to check that I wasn't going to get hit from behind.

I was. This woman was looking at her phone and driving directly into me.

CRUNCH. She nailed my old truck, pushing me ahead a bit.

We pulled over, I got out of my truck. I look back at her car, it's in bad shape. The rad is steaming, the hood is crunched up, the bumper is history, one of the fenders is bent. Thousands of dollars of damage.

I look at my truck. I can't detect any damage. I look closer. Still nothing. Finally, I find some: my license plate is bent. I give it a good kick to straighten it back out. There, fixed. From the looks of things, she aimed her car directly at my trailer hitch, which did significant damage to her car, and just added to the patina of my old truck. I smiled, told her "sorry about your car" and went on my way.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:41 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:37 pm
We pulled over, I got out of my truck. I look back at her car, it's in bad shape. The rad is steaming, the hood is crunched up, the bumper is history, one of the fenders is bent. Thousands of dollars of damage.

I look at my truck. I can't detect any damage. I look closer. Still nothing. Finally, I find some: my license plate is bent. I give it a good kick to straighten it back out. There, fixed. From the looks of things, she aimed her car directly at my trailer hitch, which did significant damage to her car, and just added to the patina of my old truck. I smiled, told her "sorry about your car" and went on my way.
I was in our Pontiac Vibe, it would have been totalled if she touched our car. We already lost our other Vibe just last year in Seneca Rocks, WVA when a deer landed in the front grill, pushed it back about 2 feet....... :(

had I been in my truck with this connected, I might have been more visible?
Probably not

The upside down bar, is the equalizer bar. placing it on top of the ball like that, lets me know when the Suburban's hitch ball is under the trailer's tongue.

~John

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black
2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Andy Cote » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:14 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:25 pm
When I see what you just described, I start weaving from center lane to road edge and slowing down, and with ALL the lights I have glaring at him, and the Air Horns blowing for all the good that will do.

if you stay in a Straight Line and sitting Vertical, YOU ARE INVISIBLE.

that has been proven many times with a LOT of studies made on the subject.

The human eye can ONLY DETECT A MOVING OBJECT.

you stare at something for a few seconds and it will disappear.
ABSOLUTELY!!
DARKSIDE #1500
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:49 am

Solina Dave wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:59 pm
.....But you know? You have to be watching every second. If you don't, you're gonna get it. Guaranteed!....... I love to ride. I've been riding for over 40 years. But I'm seriously thinking about packing it in. Anyone else thinking that way?
Packing it in??? The thought never crosses my mind. I just become much more aware of my surroundings and keep a better eye on the others. They are NOT going to rob me of my enjoyment.

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:21 am

minimac wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:49 am
Solina Dave wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:59 pm
.....But you know? You have to be watching every second. If you don't, you're gonna get it. Guaranteed!....... I love to ride. I've been riding for over 40 years. But I'm seriously thinking about packing it in. Anyone else thinking that way?
Packing it in??? The thought never crosses my mind. I just become much more aware of my surroundings and keep a better eye on the others. They are NOT going to rob me of my enjoyment.
A big .....Plus 1

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:41 am

The idiots are certainly out there. Coming home from a camping trip, my son and I almost met one head on.

The idiot was driving his Mercedes Benz and wanted to pass the 3 or 4 cars and the semi at the lead. So he pulled out and took off. Unfortunately, my son and I were already using that lane. I moved over immediately because I could see he wasn't going to make it. Hit my brakes hard, hugged the right side of the road and told my son to get over and brake hard so we wouldn't hit each other. He fell back really fast since he wasn't pulling a trailer.

The idiot and I passed each other when he was about 1/3 of the way back into his lane. Can't tell you what he looked like because I was making sure we didn't meet.

One of the fun things about riding. Always on the watch for the clueless people out there.

Ride safe. Keep alert.

SlowTyper
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by SlowTyper » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:47 am

I not only wired a pair of added marker lights on the back to wig-wag when I apply the brakes, but, when I switched to using LED bulbs, I also modified the brake light relay circuit. I wired it so that when the brakes are applied, the brake relay closes, then opens, and then closes again until the brakes are released. This blink occurs during the first half second the brakes are applied. It is so fast that most people don't realize what actually happens. However, that quick blink (On-Off-SteadyOn) is more attention getting that merely going from Off to On. The circuit required a couple capacitors, a few resistors, and a transistor.

alwims
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by alwims » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:21 am

Here is what people see when they come up behind us, day or night. [youtube]

[/YouTube]

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by rcgreg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:51 pm

Can you post a schematic of the circuit for us?

SlowTyper
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by SlowTyper » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:55 am

I looked for a circuit diagram amongst my notes, but didn't find anything. I am guessing that is because the circuit has so few components that I didn't bother making one.

The circuit was inserted into the power lead going from the brake lever switch to the brake relay, which I snipped in order to insert the circuit.

Since you asked, I sketched out how I recall wiring it. Keep in mind that my memory may be in error -- it often is! If I had to guess, I suspect R1 was 10-15 ohms, R2 was 4.7K, and R3 & R4 were 27K. I have absolutely no recollection of the values of the capacitors, except they would have been rated 16vdc. C1 determines how long the lights come on initially (100-150 mSec) and C2 determines the delay for turning the lights on steady (250-350 mSec). I am sure when I built it I figured out experimentally what value capacitors to use.