Having a real problem keeping my 92 1500 cc Gold Wing upright

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: Having a real problem keeping my 92 1500 cc Gold Wing upright

Post by detdrbuzzard » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:58 pm

" Is it the footrests or have I reached the point where I think my luck has finally ran out lol
I m thinking that taking the footrests off would make a difference ??? "
I'm thinking he means floorboards and in his case I would try some pegs before giving up on the 1500 wing

'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 ST1300a
.... william

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:42 am

I don't know if he's got boards or pegs, but I also hope he doesn't give up on his ' Wing.
I think more saddle time is what it will take. Like me, he has no problem riding, just keeping it vertical while stopped.
I put more time and miles in riding this 1500 than any other bike I've owned, before I was comfortable letting my wife climb on behind me.
It just takes time to become comfortable on the 1500 but after that, Woweee! Couldn't wait to do what the 1500 was built for, travel!
Made a trip to Wyoming and the Dakotas and then a second trip to Montana. Got to go back there again. Although my old '94 ' Wing sprung a small oil leak on the second trip, it started every day and my confidence in the bike grew.
It will just take a bit of time. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:20 am

I've read and re-read the original post several times in varying views.
My understanding is, he's a 1 time poster (May 2016 - now Nov 2016) who hates GoldWings and is disparaging them.

`
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Too bad. He's missing a mighty fine tour bike experience. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

tbird71
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard W/Hondaline Fairing
1989 GL1500 completely bone stock

My 91 Gold Wing SE

Post by tbird71 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:22 am

Was reading the guys post with the 91SE...I too had a 91 and that big ass thing scared me to DEATH
(I had to do a "skip to my loo" dance to even get ON it, then they call HARLEYS Hogs?)

Wife and I pulled into a rocked area once, and I made her dismount before i tried to get it out of there.
I know those early ones are supposed to be all alike but I swear that partucular 91 model was BIGGER (to me anyway)
Well I sold it and last year picked up a bone stock 89 with 9000 actual miles...NO PROBLEMA...I easily start stop etc without fear or worry. Why I do not know. But no more 91 models for THIS old boy.

I also own a 1984 GL1200 Stripper with a Hondaline fairing. Just about perfect, I love it.

AntiqueModeler
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Post by AntiqueModeler » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:01 pm

One thing that helps tremendously is to practice. When I first bought my Wing and rode it for the first time, all that mass really scared me (and, I had been riding bikes for many years). I had never ridden anything that heavy before.

There is a large parking lot near my house. Once every week or two, when weather is decent, I'll run over there and practice tight figure 8 turns and stops (as many here have noted: rear break, left foot down). If you have an injected engine, you can leave the bike second gear and the engine will pull you around at low speed without having to feather the clutch/throttle. This is a good setting for getting started on your figure 8 drills and (I understand) is the way that show riding teams do their routines. Later, you can use 1st gear and the clutch, but is easy to bog/race in tight low speed turns with that combination if you aren't careful. I use the lines on the parking lot to target my turns and evaluate results. For me, just inside of three car widths is pretty good for a 180, and I'm sure a more skilled low speed rider could be considerably better than that (Wings handle remarkably well). The practice in stopping is important for me, as I tend to want to plant the left foot a bit early -- not a good thing.

c141engineer
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A Goldwing

Post by c141engineer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Just a thought... how good are your steering head bearings? I had a devil of a time back when I had my '78 1000. Had ridden 'big' bikes for years, but my '78 had me looking like I belonged on four wheels instead of two. Decided to rebuild my front end and found the bearings very dry and the races pitted. With new bearings, I could now come to a complete stop before having to put a foot down.

Lastcowboy1871
Motorcycle: 1988 GLX 1500 Goldwing

Post by Lastcowboy1871 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Well what can I say, I have dropped my 1988 twice since i purchased her in June of last year 2017. After the first drop I removed the cruise pegs, the left hand side punched a hole in the rocker cover (I'v never used cruise pegs in 50 odd years of ridding) Second time was on gravel, no damage on that occasion. Me I'm 5' 8' 32 inside seam and weigh 188 lbs and 65 years young. I have a custom seat but still have to tip-toe at stops, I can slide to one side of the seat either side depending on road camber, like many I slow down with both brakes and use rear brake for final stop front wheel dead straight. Practice makes perfect and if at first you don't succeed try again. :D Pete.

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Post by jandjgoldwing » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:57 am

I'm 5' 10", 32" inseam, 73 years old, on a GL1500, sometimes with my bride aboard. I pay a whole lot of attention to where I'm going to put my feet down when stopping, to be sure my feet have a level, clean surface. I leave space in front of me, so that I can find the optimal spot, and I'm one who twitches left and right at slow speeds to avoid coming to a complete stop, because I find that "safer" than having to put my feet down.

Each of the 4 or 5 times I dropped mine, the road surface played a big part, because I didn't make sure I had a safe place to put my feet down. I always try to lean to my left foot when stopping. That means that, if I drop the bike, it will be on the kickstand side, which adds to the drama of trying to get it back up without going over. (Probably one of Murphy's laws). Then, there's the panic that sets in when I try to restart the bike, because somehow the run/stop switch has been operated. Yes, 4 wheelers have horns!

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:09 am

I tipped mine over for the second time last week. It was more the result of me being in a hurry, and it happened right after I was feeling proud of myself for making a tight slow speed U-turn.

I just made the U-turn in this tight dead end parking lot and coming out of the turn pulled into the parking space which was a parallel spot that had a slight slope toward the kickstand side. In my mind the order of coming to a stop, putting the kick stand down starting to dismount the bike was executed with ninja precision but in reality things went a bit differently :lol:

My foot must've missed the kickstand or something because when I went to lean it on the kickstand to get off, the kickstand was still tucked neatly up against the side and well, you know the feeling once it's gone past the point of no return. I don't think anyone saw my dumb mistake but you can bet I will make sure that kickstand is ACTUALLY down from now on.
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 24,532 miles and counting as of Oct 17, 2018!

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Post by 89 1500 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Just read this entire thread with a firm north/south nod. Not sure what's up with that low speed unrest and it's way more noticeable on my 89 than my friends 97. At first I thought I had an issue with that big boy Corbin seat. (It was way wider than stock causing cramps in the hip muscles and maybe an inch higher.) Nope went back stock got lower and tucked back where I belong still a little sketchy. I almost fell over in a parking lot coming to a stop but my wife had the presence of mind to grab her handle and hang in the opposite direction, great save on her part btw. Made a side by side comparison ride with my buds 97 and found that his still sat lower than my 89 both with factory seats and 28 lbs pressure in the shock. The 97 had better manners overall low speed u turns were way smoother and easier, close quarter handling was better, and it seemed that the seated position was a little different. Last week I rode a low miles 99 and it felt even better than my friends 97. They did tweak the 1500 line a lot through it's production run and it get's really noticeable toward the later 90's. The 2018 is not for me although there is a lot of gee whiz pretties added they took away what's important to me. This weekend I'll be riding a 15 GL 1800 that has been set up for a rider over 6 foot with passenger and comparing it to the 99 1500. My 89 needs some down time I want to restore it to factory so the hunt for another workhorse is on.

brian.peters
Motorcycle: 97 GL1500 SE

Post by brian.peters » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Read through it as well then realized it was started in 16 :o

I dropped mine leaving the house where i bought it. I half dropped it again during a skills class. Bike was very intimidating and still is not to be trifled with but the more I ride the smaller it feels.

I'm 6' 2" with a 34 inseam. I'm also 53 weigh 220 and have no problem picking the bike up.

When riding two up I'm just way more cautious.

As far as stopping I'm a both feet down once stopped kind of guy so the last foot or so is on the handbrake. I do point the bike between the lines of traffic and stay in gear until traffic stops behind me.

Fuzzyswing
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500 1979 kz1000 LTD

Post by Fuzzyswing » Tue May 29, 2018 5:12 pm

I have a 1988 1500 it has drivers foot pegs, It is a lot more manageable than the 1990 1500 that I had previously, witch had drivers floor boards. Making a wider stance of your legs.
Also when I first got the 1990 1500
The steering head bearings needed to be tightened up. Which made it almost unmanageable at very slow speed. I've been riding motorcycles for 42 years. Add loose steering head bearings made me feel like a amateur. Good luck with it

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by rcgreg » Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 pm

Change those floorboards for pegs - and the problem is fixed

JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by JoeHall » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:03 am

I can identify, I sold a 1993 in the late 1990s, after dropping it one too many times. I'd owned it since 1994, and ridden it 50,000 miles. I'd dropped it at least 5 times, maybe more, always because of my mistakes. But with lighter bikes the same mistakes are easily overcame, i.e. simply getting off balance to one side or the other. I was mid 40s then, still in the Marine Corp, and still squatting 500+ pounds in the gym. So it was not fitness, strength or age. As others have mentioned, I learned if the bike tipped too far over, don't fight it, just let it fall, get off and pick it back up. But each time, it took a little longer to get over being p----d. Finally, I went back to BMW, which I'd never dropped before or since. Having ridden around half a million miles, I have ever dropped any other bike either, that I recall (due to balance and weight): Harley, Motoguzzi, 1993 Yamaha VR, etc..

With the GL1800 I recently bought, I had the previous owner ride it from his house to a gas station, 5 miles away, because I figured exiting his driveway woulda been problematic for me, especially never having ridden a GL1800, nor even a GL1500, for many years. As with the GL1500, I love everything else about the GL1800, and really hope it works out. But if I drop it one too many times, it will be gone too. So far, my confidence is growing, as it is well balanced, low CG, and I sit flat footed. It is a little harder to manage when slowing to a stop with a passenger aboard, and I have advised all passengers if it begins to tip over, just hop off. Soon to be 66, I doubt I could squat 100 pounds anymore, but as before, if I drop this GL1800 it will not be due to fitness or strength. I would not blame the bike, but simply acquiesce that it is not a good fit for me. But I like it so much, if dropping it becomes a problem, I may consider a set of training wheels. LOL

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:31 am

The number one cause of dropping the Goldwing is slowing to a stop with the front wheel turned. There's an awful lot of mass there, and if you come to a stop with the wheel turned even a little bit, it's trying to go forward while the front wheel wheel is pulling sideways. The strongest rider in the world is not going to keep that bike from going over.

Even just stopping and compressing the front forks with the front wheel turned is enough to throw the bike over.

Make a mental note, EVERY time you come to a stop, make sure your front wheel is perfectly straight. It will go a long way to keeping your bike upright.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:04 am

There is a reason I refer to my bike as the "BEAST"!! This thing can be tough to handle, , ,but there are wonderful ideas out there that help make it easier.

I'm 5'9", 175 Lbs, 64 yrs old with a 32" inseam which is probably VERY close to being (legally) classified as "Vertically challenged" (haha), but I make it work.

If you are having trouble with keeping it upright, I STRONGLY suggest you sit and watch as many GOOD QUALITY "how-to" videos on the internet about slow-speed control, and stopping "under control". I was fortunate enough to get paid to ride a KZ1000 for about 10 yrs at work, so I had a decent handle on riding at slow speed. Since retiring, I've gotten lazy and older so I often review some of my favorite vids to keep good information fresh in my mind. I, personally, prefer the information/instruction on YouTube from MCrider on this subject. There are many others that are good too, , its all personal preference. AFTER you see and understand the information, you NEED to go out to and PRACTICE, then PRACTICE more, and lastly PRACTICE some more so it becomes second nature. You will find that the "concern" for keeping your BEAST upright will soon fade away, and you will begin enjoying the rides more and more.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:00 am

Just a bit off subject, but I can't believe the number of you guys that have dropped your bikes. I can see someone going down taking a slow turn and hitting gravel or something, but coming to a stop on dry pavement? C'mon, I thought you were better riders than that! I'm getting nosy to 70 and at 5'-10"" (32 inseam) am not an overpowering presence-just an old fat guy- and have never, ever had an issue holding up my 'Wing. Trouble swinging my leg up and over the seat,without kicking the door off of the cubby on the left rear, (I've lost three of them), but never holding it upright coming to a stop.

insanemoondoggie
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1996 GL1500A Aspencade.
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500
1985 Honda Shadow 700
1964 VNB Vespa 125

Post by insanemoondoggie » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:29 am

We got our 1996 GL1500A and it is the first bike I have laid over in 40+ years of riding, it was on the grass slope of our yard making a turn with the wife on back. It was just a gentle lay over for me and just stepped off the bike. The wife however, stayed in the saddle and got not so gently rolled out. After all the years of riding together, the look on her face was one of total disbelief.
I had my right hip replaced in 2013, major back surgery, deep vein thrombosis left leg, left arm nerve damage with atrophy, and a list of other health issues, which I admit did worry me about handling the bike with just me, let alone the wife and pull a trailer. I even went so far as to look at Burgman scooters {those things are Cool!} but nothing compares to a Goldwing.
Even thou I was pretty busted up, was not ready to give up riding just yet. An old Parabody cable work-out station sets in the corner of my man-cave, which I use to address the atrophy in the left arm and shoulder. Been doing Tia-Chi for about a year now too, the strength gained has been impressive, flexibility/ balance/ peace of mind/ weight loss too! lol, it has really helped improve my health and restored my confidence in my riding abilities. Life is good!
All that being said" The wife and I still practice stepping off the bike just in-case. :oops:
To thy self be true.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:04 am

I need to design a little idiot light that comes on when in 1st gear... Stoplight two blocks from the house, pulled up to the stoplight to make a right turn, there was still a little road sand in the intersection (this was spring last year) and when the light turned green I took off, too late discovering I had forgot to shift back from third gear and stalled the engine. Already moving into the turn, right foot slipped in the sand and down I went. Fortunately, my right foot was under the front crash bar, protecting the crash bar from getting scratched. Broken foot bone. A little sore, but didn't stop me from riding....

I think six diodes, a couple resistors and a little green LED will do it for the idiot light. Since there isn't any first gear contact in the gear position switch, I'll wire up the LED to be "ON" unless grounded out thru the diodes connected to all other gear positions....

GL1500 1st Gear Idiot Light
GL1500 1st Gear Idiot Light

Afterthought: Maybe should add a small capacitor from the Hot side of the LED to ground and a second diode on the "ground" side of the LED, this would alleviate LED flicker during gear changes.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:28 am

minimac wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:00 am
Just a bit off subject, but I can't believe the number of you guys that have dropped your bikes.
My opinion - it may be wrong, but here it is. If you have never dropped a bike, then you either have not ridden enough, or have absolutely no spirit of adventure in how you ride. I ride aggressively, and I must say, I have dropped bikes all over the place. Usually when hit by cars, always from the rear, which also damaged the bikes as well as myself, but sometimes through my own inattentiveness, which happy to say, did NOT damage the bikes, NOR myself, and has not happened often, but it has happened. I have ridden a total of around 800,000 miles, lifetime, and hope to make the million before I leave this shitty world. There is an old saying amongst those who really do ride. It goes like this:

There are three types of motorcyclists - those that have "not yet" been down, those that "have" been down, and those who "will" go down again. I am for sure in the second category and very likely I am in the third category as well. Lucky you, minimac, you can place yourself in the first category. Hopefully, you get to stay there.

Also, I too have noticed that the original poster never came back, so either he lost interest, or he had a serious mishap, or he quit riding. Or, he forgot where we are.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:12 am

Read lots of reports of surveys being commissioned regarding rider habits, skill sets, etc and most are on the honour system; however, there was one that I read where the bikes were instrumented. The number of bikes that were taking a nap and not because of an accident or while at speed, increased significantly. Even the most skilled riders drop their bikes. The more you push your limits, the probability will increase that you will drop your bike.

The one caveat I will mention is that if your bike is going down, let it. Trying to stop a lay down with your foot will only get you hurt. You can do more harm to yourself trying to stop one of these GWs from going down compared to the possible damage to the bike - BTDT and paid for it in pain. If it is going down, assist it and lessen the impact - GWs are designed to rest on the engine and saddlebag guards.

YMMV. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:48 am

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:12 am
Trying to stop a lay down with your foot will only get you hurt.
I said that with tongue firmly planted in cheek, of course... :roll: Highly NOT recommended, broken foot to prove it.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 am

When the instructors at the courses I've attended see a foot come off the pegs, or even a twitch that would indicate a foot movement, all I've heard from them is you will hurt yourself. They can't stop you from doing it, but they can remind you of the consequences.

The other issue regarding your feet is not getting them up on the pegs as soon as you start moving. I have timed this poorly on a couple of occasions when I had my 1800 and my feet do not fit well under the saddlebag guards. Didn't hurt myself, but it did not feel good, bike would win this battle as well.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:29 pm

DenverWinger wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:04 am
I need to design a little idiot light that comes on when in 1st gear... Stoplight two blocks from the house, pulled up to the stoplight to make a right turn, there was still a little road sand in the intersection (this was spring last year) and when the light turned green I took off, too late discovering I had forgot to shift back from third gear and stalled the engine. Already moving into the turn, right foot slipped in the sand and down I went. Fortunately, my right foot was under the front crash bar, protecting the crash bar from getting scratched. Broken foot bone. A little sore, but didn't stop me from riding....

I think six diodes, a couple resistors and a little green LED will do it for the idiot light. Since there isn't any first gear contact in the gear position switch, I'll wire up the LED to be "ON" unless grounded out thru the diodes connected to all other gear positions....

Circuit.jpg

Afterthought: Maybe should add a small capacitor from the Hot side of the LED to ground and a second diode on the "ground" side of the LED, this would alleviate LED flicker during gear changes.
My only concern with that circuit is that you would be applying some amount of positive voltage at all times to the gear position switches that are NOT grounded - and in doing so, you would also be applying positive voltage to the ECU gear position sensors that normally are looking only for the presence or absence of ground. It might be OK...or it might not be OK.

You might want to also put a set of diodes coming from the ECU gear position lines, to make sure you are not feeding positive voltage up into the ECU on the gears that are not currently selected.