How to replace your throttle cables

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
firstwing
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A, 2006 Suzuki C50 Blvd.

Re: How to replace your throttle cables

Post by firstwing » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm wondered if you may know any sure way to route throttle cables correctly. I replaced mine and did not use a feed wire. Now I have sticking grip issues and I know it's the way I routed them.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:22 pm

I had a look in both the service and parts manuals, and it's not shown in either. Someone will have to have a look at theirs and hopefully help out.

firstwing
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A, 2006 Suzuki C50 Blvd.

Post by firstwing » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks any way. I think it's a hit and miss if you don't pay attention removing them.

Mariner
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 (current),
1983 GL1100 Interstate (last), Z1000, CB750F, CB750K, CB550, 450 scrambler, 90 Scrambler, and a few I've forgotten

Post by Mariner » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Thank you! Been away from MCs too long when I had an opportunity to buy a 1983 Interstate, a bike from my youth. The bike and I are in about the same shape with everything falling off at the same time. Without your series of articles my Goldwing would be sitting in the garage. Very well done.
Thanks again.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1755

DCpatrick
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard

Post by DCpatrick » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:24 am

Thank you thank you thank you for all your DIY articles. I bought a 81 GL1100 Standard that is similar to the 77 GL1000 I had in college - kitted out with vetter fairing and saddlebags. So far, I've pulled and rebuilt the Carbs (thanks to Raddak's kit), and while the carbs are off, doing the cables. And, surprise, the previous owner had been riding it without a push cable! :o
The more I take apart, the more I find needs to be taken apart ::sigh:: :roll: Someday it will run again. At least the frame is solid with no rust.It has turned into a bit of a rebuild job, but at least it was running when I parked it 2 years ago after riding it home after purchasing it.
Now, I am finally getting around to making it safe to ride again, and your articles are invaluable.

BigDee
Motorcycle: Former Rides:
1962 Honda CB90
1974 Yamaha 500 Basket case
1971 Honda 450
Current Ride:
1981 GL1100i Interstate

Post by BigDee » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:48 pm

While digging into the carb issues on my ride I found the PO had kindly cut the push cable near the air filter! I was able to snake a new one in and with the slack obtained from loosening the pull cable finally get it in place. Maybe it's just my imagination but the bike seems to run smoother already! :D At least it makes ME feel better! Thanks, WingAdmin!
Why does an airplane always start to run rough as soon as you fly over water??? That extra cable sure is comforting!
He who throws dirt loses ground!

aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Post by aznyaz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:42 pm

As is normally the case, these how-to's are incredibly helpful, although each situation is unique.

I did decide to leave the carbs in place which proved a little more challenging but a lot less work. I bought a 10mm open/box end wrench and had it bent at the open end which was pretty helpful in reaching the adjusting and lock nuts on the cables at the carbs, still thight, though.

Another challenge that I had was feeding the old cables out through the bike. I think the fairing support has a tendancy to get in the way (as was the case I had when I removed the radiator on my last project). When pulling the cable through, the rubber sleeves and the adjusting nuts ons the pull cable along with the push cable would just not get through the opening they were routed through. After much head scratching and thinking about cutting the cables and routing the new ones differently, I worked out the issues of working space.

The only other Issue I had was with the lock nut at the switch housing for the push cable. It bottomed out before tightening the curved cable housing sufficiently, so I had to devise some washers as spacers to make it work, but alas, the threads in the switch housing (plastic) did not hold out and were stripped. It's workable but I will have to replace it soon.

Once again, very good info. I hope this helps.

MJ

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:24 pm

My son, mom, and sister just bought me a 1980 Goldwing. I have to replace both the push and pull throttle cable. The problem is that both the cables are already removed. I have ordered the manual but I need to make sure I route the cables right. Is there a way to assure I route it correctly so I don't kink or break the cable? Thank you in advance for any help. Steve

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:54 am

I'm just going by memory here, but starting at the grip the cables turn horizontally to the left and wrap around the front of the frame at the steering head. At this point, my cables turned toward the rear of the bike and were routed through a small triangular space (which was too narrow to pull both cables through at the same time) that was created by the main frame and the fairing frame (be careful not to run the cables around the wiring harness in that area - I ran one cable on the outside and one on the inside of the harness and it creates a pinch on the harness which could wear through the wiring - I still need to fix this!). From here they pass under the left side upper frame member which runs along the left side of the air filter housing. The cables run between this frame member and the air filter housing. As they pass the filter housing they pass over a short frame cross member that sits between the filter housing and the gas tank. At this point they turn down between this cross member and the tank toward the cable bracket on the back of the carb assembly. This is where the fun starts and I'll let the how-to article on throttle cable replacement take over.

Good luck!

MJ

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Thank you. I'm printing that up right now so I don't lose it!

I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me so I can get it done right. I should have the cables in this week (I hope!) so I can route them. Clean the tank, replace oil, antifreeze, etc and I can take her out for a test run I hope.

Sure glad I found this site!!

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Yes, this is a great site! I learn quite a bit here.

I was contemplating re-routing my cables outside of that small triangular area I mentioned because it was more a PITA getting them out than it was routing the new cables back through.

Just take your time with things especially if you're not familiar with something. It'll come to ya!

MJ

kajunmisfitt
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade (GL1200)
1985 Honda Goldwing Aspencade (GL1200)

Re: How to replace your throttle cables/HELP !!!!

Post by kajunmisfitt » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:32 pm

First of all let me tell you guys something,( thinking can get a man in lots of trouble) that being said I was thinking on replacing both of my throttle cable on my 1982 GL1100A, so I went looking for a "video", since I am a "normal" guy that,wait a minute, (not normal) if I was normal thinking guy I would not have started this project and went to a (professional), OK, I do better seeing things done than reading about them. Few question too all you brainy guys. I took the cables off because one was frayed and I am replacing the hand grips. So while I was doing this I changed the fuel filter and the hoses from the air filter housing to the 2 different places the hoses go with new ones. And I with help from a guy I know installed 2 sets of driving lights one under the fairing and the other on the engine guard that is on first of the engine. Anyway I got the new cable yesterday started putting this baby back together and realized that I had taken the signal housing apart to get the old cables out of them. What I did not remember was that I had to screw one to or both cables back into the signal housing to do it right. So I ask the false tank and the carb tubes do they all need to come out too get these cable done right or am I seeing thing in a way they don't need to be seen. I think one of the cable screw in and the other you screw the sleeve in. So theory is that one cable has to be screwed on with the signal housing part. So I I hope I am right at lease when the false tank is concern. Thanks get this done now I now know I don't have to do it next year. thanks ahead of time.!!!!!! Most importantly" IS THERE A VIDEO OUT HERE ON THE INTERNET THAT SHOW ME THESE THINGS" IF SO WHERE DO I FIND IT !!!!

spike8185
Motorcycle: 1982 gold wing interstate gl1100

Post by spike8185 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:36 am

Hi I have a question I installed all my cables like you said but when I turn the throttle it won't return? Did I do something wrong? It will only go back if I push it back up now just a little back ground bike sat for 14 plus years in a garage so I pull carb clean them inside I didn't really take them apart just sprayed carb cleaner cause they were spotless inside but I do know for sure when I tried them without cables they closed on there own, please help this bike means the world to me it was past down to me from my grandfather who passed away, and I just wanna enjoy her!!

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:54 am

Could be a number of things. You said the carbs opened and closed OK without the cables so they don't seem to be the problem. Were the carbs installed or not when you operated them? Maybe there's something that prevents smooth throttle movement when installed. The cables seem to be doing the push pull thing alright. It sounds like there could be a kink or drag somewhere along the line, or maybe the throttle grip is binding on the bar, or the return spring on the carbs has just weakened over time.

spike8185

Post by spike8185 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:43 am

After about 12 hours today of putting the carbs on off on off so on I found there was build up behind some of the return springs so a lot of carb cleaner and pb blaster and working the throttle back and forth I found that if I removed the push cable the throttle snaps right back into place so I found once I got the push cable off which remind you were both brand new that when it was made they crimped it to tightly on the one end, so that cable is going back but right after that I got it running for the first time about 15 mins into it I had antifreeze pouring out the wheep hole on the water pump but only when I gave it throttle? Any ideas I order a new OEM Honda water pump already and gasket kit with the orings, is there anything I may have foregot to get? but with the throttle issue it was just a bunch of dirt&grime build up slowing the performance down to much to push throttle back. I never thought it would be so many issues just for being parked for so many years!! But she's worth every penny still doesn't skip a heartbeat!

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:07 pm

Well, it sounds like you got the throttle issue handled. As for the pump replacement, just follow the How-Tos on this site and you won't go wrong. Check for leaks elsewhere around the cooling system, flush properly and don't forget to use coolant compatible with aluminum engines, and ask questions!

spike8185

Post by spike8185 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:48 pm

Thank you very much all your info is very helpful, and greatly appreciated!

AllianceJE
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Post by AllianceJE » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:09 am

I know this is an old thread but the information here really helped me after rebuilding my carbs. Also for anyone else who may be doing this in the future if you loosen the intake runners on #1 and #3 cylinders and flip them upside down the bellcrank will be out past the fuel tank and much easier to deal with those stubborn lock nuts.

profneilwalker
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by profneilwalker » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:49 pm

Hey, your instructions were terrific. Yes, it's a tricky job getting wrenches onto the cable brackets on the carbs, but there was nothing wrong with how you laid out the job. Couldn't have done it without you. The string trick is a good one. Thanks brother.

aznyaz

Post by aznyaz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:59 am

So, if you're twisting the intake runners on 1 and 3, you pull the carbs out to the left, is that correct? It seems like that would be the way to go.

unkle buckie
Motorcycle: 1979 GL 1000

Post by unkle buckie » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:09 pm

extremely useful article, even though mine's a '79 gl, and thus far, so good... waiting impatiently for the 'push' cable to arrive, but in the meantime its out with the black rustoleum for those obscurities. a much appreciated 'how to'

sattech200
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing LTD
1983 Yamaha Virago

Post by sattech200 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:57 pm

My pull cable just broke on my 85 LTD leaving it somewhat stranded. Does anyone know if there's any way to use the push cable work as the pill cable so I can get the bike home? That k you!