Clacking noise.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Clacking noise.

Post by Maddogg » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:08 am

Posted about 2 weeks ago about a clacking noise. Didn't get much help on problem. Lets try a different approach.

Took my GL1500 down to a mechanic about a clacking noise and he said it was the Reverse Idle gear that was making the heavy clacking noise. He pulled in the clutch and the noise went away. He said the cost to repair is somewhere in the neighborhood of around $2,000. Said the engine had to be seperated. Not gonna put that much money into this old of a bike.

My question is this: Can I use a heavier oil than what I normally use? I am running a regular 10W30 in it but would Amsol 10W40 help at all? This is a synthetic oil that I have never used because I have heard that they are thinner than regular oils. I have no idea if this will help or not. Motor runs great but it has the dreaded "clacking" noise.

Thanks in advance for any help, Bill

Snowing
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500A

Re: Clacking noise.

Post by Snowing » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Bill,

I think I am experiencing the same issue. I have a 90 model. Are you on the Goldwingfacts.com forum also?

I just posted a video with the sound mine is making and I am curious if yours sounds the same. I have replaced just about everything else and was starting on the timing belts today... but I will wait. DOn't think it worth fixing if what you say about $2,000 bucks.

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Post by hugger-4641 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:29 pm

Maddogg wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:08 am
Posted about 2 weeks ago about a clacking noise. Didn't get much help on problem. Lets try a different approach.

Took my GL1500 down to a mechanic about a clacking noise and he said it was the Reverse Idle gear that was making the heavy clacking noise. He pulled in the clutch and the noise went away. He said the cost to repair is somewhere in the neighborhood of around $2,000. Said the engine had to be seperated. Not gonna put that much money into this old of a bike.

My question is this: Can I use a heavier oil than what I normally use? I am running a regular 10W30 in it but would Amsol 10W40 help at all? This is a synthetic oil that I have never used because I have heard that they are thinner than regular oils. I have no idea if this will help or not. Motor runs great but it has the dreaded "clacking" noise.

Thanks in advance for any help, Bill
I don't think any oil you use is going to help the "clacking" noise if it is indeed due to the reverse gear. However, I have heard the lifters complain on my buddy's 93 Interstate when he let his oil get a little low, but this is more of a steady "clicking" noise. This happened due to a leak because he accidently left the old oil filter gasket stuck to his engine and then installed a new filter on top of it. :shock:
As far as oil types, a lot depends on the conditions you ride in. I always use 10w 40 of some sort. Amzoil 10w40 will work fine, I've used it before with no problems. I wouldn't use 10w 30 unless I was in a much colder part of the world. The wet clutch system on these bikes can be adversely affected by some oils. I've been using Valvoline 10w 40 high mileage synthetic blend with no problems for the last 50k miles, I change my oil, oil filter, and air filter every 5k miles. My bike has about 150k on it now and still runs like new.
Does the noise also go away if you put the bike in reverse?

Maddogg
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500
1994 Suzuki 800 Intruder

Post by Maddogg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:58 am

The noise goes away if I pull the clutch in. I have been told that synthetic oils are thinner that standard oils, but you know how people are when it comes to oils.

I enjoy riding the bike and don't want to retire her, but I don't think I am going to shell out that much money on this old of a bike.

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Post by hugger-4641 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:56 pm

Well, I don't want to quibble over semantics, but "thinner" is not a very relevant term when it comes to oil. It may be that some 30w synthetic oil may have a lower viscosity than a standard 30w oil at room temperature, but this does not necessarily make it better or worse. What is important is the viscosity and bonding properties within the extremes of the temperature range that the oil will be subjected to. From everything I've read, synthetic oils have better properties at higher temps and don't oxidize as quickly, but conventional oil is better at preventing scuffing in the cylinder walls due to its bonding properties at lower temps, particularly during engine start up. This is why a blend of synthetic and conventional makes sense to me. Since I live in the South where summer temps often near or above 100 degrees and my bike rarely sees below freezing temps, a 40w oil fits my operating conditions better than 30w.

1anderlikj
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by 1anderlikj » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:01 am

I know this thread is a year old and apparently ruled to be a reverse gear issue, but I will add the possibility of the alternator bearings going out. If pulling in the clutch doesn't change the noise, and it's coming from the left head area, the alternator could be the next thing to look at.