1500 Aftermarket Radio Option

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
JohnO28
Motorcycle: 1996 Goldwing

1500 Aftermarket Radio Option

Post by JohnO28 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:53 pm

So, I have seen multiple people over time discuss changing their stock radios on their 1500's to a Marine Radio of sorts.. I never use my CB so I'm not so worried about losing that function at all. I basically wondering if anyone has come up with a good plastic insert to fit into the area where the stock radio is now which will allow you to install a radio into that plastic filler plate?

GlimWas
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE Canada Edition, Pearl Atlantis blue.
2014 NC750X DCT

Re: 96 1500 Aftermarket Radio Option

Post by GlimWas » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:51 pm

There was a guy from Belarus in believe who sold these inserts through Ebay. Haven't heard or seen it in a long time now. Ibelieve the fit wasn't great though...
Probably it will depend on your own two right hands to produce something..........
Rerum omnium magister usus

GL1100 '80
GL1200 '87
GL1500 '94

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Your '96 is a much better radio/setup than my old '91 Interstate (kenwood radio in left pocket) but I just did a project that only cost $23 ($20 radio and $2.99 antennae cable extension). It now has Bluetooth, Aux-in, USB port, and remote for mama to use in the back seat. I run an iPhone 6+ for my playlists, and GPS/Navi/mileage etc apps. The USB port charges the iPhone when on the bike so I have 100% battery all the time, OR the USB port takes a thumb-drive with hundreds of hours of music. The "body" of the radio is mounted under the Center shelter on the original plate that held the booster/amp. The "head" of the radio connects to the body with a ribbon cable that's long enough to mount it "face-up" on the cover piece of the center shelter. I picked up a BT-S2 headset that connects to the iPhone for making/receiving phone calls, and the iPhone sits "rock-solid" on the center shelter by an "earth-magnet" under the ABS plastic , , Its ALMOST as good of a setup as what most of the newer bikes have standard.

The configuration and wiring is different on your '96 but it could possibly work, , I'm just not quite sure how to explain the differences between our two bikes.

JohnO28

Post by JohnO28 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:42 pm

GlimWas wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:51 pm
There was a guy from Belarus in believe who sold these inserts through Ebay. Haven't heard or seen it in a long time now. Ibelieve the fit wasn't great though...
Probably it will depend on your own two right hands to produce something..........
Was that the guy in Russia? I think he is on FB now selling stuff but I've heard he had issues with actually providing the inserts after they had been paid for. Some took months and some never got theirs and his Ebay account is now closed so prolly not going to go that route. I was hoping someone else would have taken on the project and made something...
Thanks for the answer

JohnO28

Post by JohnO28 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:42 pm

bluthundr31 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:41 pm
Your '96 is a much better radio/setup than my old '91 Interstate (kenwood radio in left pocket) but I just did a project that only cost $23 ($20 radio and $2.99 antennae cable extension). It now has Bluetooth, Aux-in, USB port, and remote for mama to use in the back seat. I run an iPhone 6+ for my playlists, and GPS/Navi/mileage etc apps. The USB port charges the iPhone when on the bike so I have 100% battery all the time, OR the USB port takes a thumb-drive with hundreds of hours of music. The "body" of the radio is mounted under the Center shelter on the original plate that held the booster/amp. The "head" of the radio connects to the body with a ribbon cable that's long enough to mount it "face-up" on the cover piece of the center shelter. I picked up a BT-S2 headset that connects to the iPhone for making/receiving phone calls, and the iPhone sits "rock-solid" on the center shelter by an "earth-magnet" under the ABS plastic , , Its ALMOST as good of a setup as what most of the newer bikes have standard.

The configuration and wiring is different on your '96 but it could possibly work, , I'm just not quite sure how to explain the differences between our two bikes.
What kind of radio did you buy for $20?

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:22 pm

AM/FM (with all the features i said earlier) from Wally World, , , ,Here's the link, ,

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Electro ... r/54596679

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-AM-1DIN-RCV ... 688&sr=8-2

**Looks like that dam link might be broken, , , , here it is through Walmart, , , ,
Dual Electronics XDM16BT High Resolution LCD Single DIN Car Stereo with Built-In Bluetooth, USB & MP3 Player

I put a couple pics of the finished product on this site at the following link, , might give you an idea of what I did,

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36084

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:49 am

hi - saw your post there !! - have walked down this route myself - in my quest to update my wing too - if you check out my posts on the subject to - you may find it useful too - here are some you tube links to take a look at too -

This is a early attempt to change out the radio cassette - view this - viewtopic.php?t=7974

This is the latest attempt I have seen of late :

There are lots of ways to do this mod , however please bear in mind that if you do- do this mod a lot of the Lcd fuctions will be lost ie - your air ride pressure - and lots more too - " That old cassette radio does a lot more than play cassettes !!!! ?? "

I think this is why a lot of ppl have opted to do this mod :-

hope this helps in your efforts there ... :P :P :P :P :P :P

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:26 pm

hi - Again !! - like I have said before !! - I have looked at this problem before - try looking at this link also - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36084 .. :D :D :D :D :D and take a look at this too - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29668 :D :D :D :D :D

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Quite a few things to remember, , , , ,

1.) Not EVERY GL1500 radio is the same. My Interstate had that old crappy Kenwood in the left pocket, HENCE , ALL of the vids that speak to modifying the motherboard are a waste of time.
A.) If you're lucky enough to have a similar radio to whats in the vids, the MoBo is often different.
B.) Soldering the small "tracks" can be difficult for many with little experience.
C.) I didn't see the feature to use an "on-board" USB port for MP3's and charging your phone, OR the feature to connect "on-board" bluetooth, AND there sure as heck wasn't a remote controller for mama to use from the back seat.
D.) I agree that there doesn't appear to be a expensive cost related with this, and it might beat the $23.00 for a radio & antenna extension.

******* NONE OF THESE ISSUES ARISE WHEN INSTALLING THE DUAL ELECTRONICS AM/FM RADIO ON MY '91 INTERSTATE *******

2.) The "building" of a cover/shelf involves too much welding/cutting of metals that can be difficult for many with little experience.
A.) The cost of the Marine radio is prohibitive compared to the Dual Electronics radio.
B.) The antenna cable will be an issue for this mod. You'll need the extension or a longer single cable.
C.) IMHO, the "features" of this marine radio don't match the Dual Electronics radio.
D.) The "waterproof" aspect is a definite plus, , but not a "deal breaker" for me , , and the feature adds too much to the total cost.
E.) The Dual Electronics radio will allow for rear speakers too, , so this feature is a "wash". The old Kenwood couldn't handle rear speakers (UPGRADE!!)

The Dual Electronics Radio head comes with a "ribbon" cable from the factory which is long enough to mount the head face-up on the center shelter. The radio head has two small phillips screws and comes right off. Cut/file a rectangle to match the "mounting bracket" on the center shelter, , , SIMPLE. You can leave the radio head ribbon cable attached to the "body" of the radio ribbon cable socket for this entire process, , , no threat of ribbon disconnect issues.

The Dual Electronics Modification is, by far, the easiest, best, and cheapest solution I've found/done. I STRONGLY recommend it for ANY of the old GL's that had that Kenwood radio in the left pocket!!

darryldevaney
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by darryldevaney » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 am

The topic thread below is how I did my own stereo swap.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31590

I've used it for 2 years now with no real issues. The only thing I've had any minor problem with is that occasionally the USB thumb drive will power up in "charging" mode. Not sure why, but simply cycling through the sources and back to the USB input always fixes it. It has probably traveled 20k+ miles with almost constant use.

Since the time of my original post I've also removed the left and right fairing storage boxes and fitted in 6.5" speakers that sound way better than the stock speakers.
"I just wanna ride..."

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:08 pm

Nice job Darryldevaney, sounds like you're getting the kinks worked out just great.

You just CAN'T beat how good it is to be flyin down the road with a good set of "tunes" blasting outta them speakers!!!

I shoulda done this mod MANY years ago, , , but , , ,oh well, , its great fun now

Quick, easy, and inexpensive, , ,Gotta LOVE it!!!

Shop lites out for second picture but darn NAVI program gave too much "glare", , in real life its perfect though

martinarial
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing GL1000
1980 Goldwing GL1100
1984 Goldwing GL1200 Interstate
1984 Honda Magna V65 (semi-bobber mod)
1985 Goldwing GL1200 Limited
1988 Goldwing GL1500
2000 Valkyrie Interstate
2000 Goldwing GL1500 SE
2001 ST1100

Re: 1500 Aftermarket Radio Option

Post by martinarial » Fri May 11, 2018 5:55 am

Many thanks to everyone posting solutions to consider to upgrade the low end radio that comes with the GL1500...some of you are really talented in doing a bang up job with the esthetics, I wish I could do all that.

Although replacing the radio is the only way to upgrade sound quality (soldering an auxiliary output to the original radio doesn't address that at all) I read in one of these posts that removing the original radio from the GL1500 in order to replace it with another car radio will disable the air pressure display in the dashboard...is this true?

darryldevaney

Post by darryldevaney » Fri May 11, 2018 6:37 am

No, you do NOT lose the air pressure display when you pull the factory radio (at least, I didn't lose it). The clock still works when it wants to as well. The only thing I can tell that is gone is the radio station display, which my new unit has on it's own display anyway, so no big loss for me. I imagine you also lose the intercom functions, but I never used it since I have a Sena Bluetooth setup, so I can't verify that.
"I just wanna ride..."

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Fri May 11, 2018 10:02 am

darryldevaney wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 am

I've used it for 2 years now with no real issues. The only thing I've had any minor problem with is that occasionally the USB thumb drive will power up in "charging" mode. Not sure why, but simply cycling through the sources and back to the USB input always fixes it. It has probably traveled 20k+ miles with almost constant use.

Since the time of my original post I've also removed the left and right fairing storage boxes and fitted in 6.5" speakers that sound way better than the stock speakers.
Darryl I was looking at that very same radio to install similarly to how you did. Instead of mounting it on the radio cover like you did, is it possible to make a blanking plate where the original radio used to be and mount it like bluthundr31 did his, or is it too deep?

Mounting your radio in the same fashion as bluthundr31 mounted his would be exactly how I'd like to do it. I think I checked the height measurements using info from crutchfields.com and the original radio cover would clear it if you could figure out how to get it to still clip on.
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 23,128 miles and counting as of July 30, 2018!

darryldevaney

Post by darryldevaney » Fri May 11, 2018 10:14 am

Stew - I think you might be able to do that with a blanking plate. The depth is really determined by 2 things. First, there is the standard automotive type of mounting screw that is on the back side, which isn't needed in this application and could easily be removed. Second is that the harness from the radio comes off the back side. It's been a couple of years since I did this and I can't remember if I used the cover just because it was laying around and I was too lazy to fabricate something (highly likely), or if it was because of the depth. My memory is hazy. I'll try to attach a picture off the interweb of what the back side looks like.
Attachments

"I just wanna ride..."

JohnO28

Post by JohnO28 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Stew wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:02 am
darryldevaney wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 am

Darryl I was looking at that very same radio to install similarly to how you did. Instead of mounting it on the radio cover like you did, is it possible to make a blanking plate where the original radio used to be and mount it like bluthundr31 did his, or is it too deep?

Mounting your radio in the same fashion as bluthundr31 mounted his would be exactly how I'd like to do it. I think I checked the height measurements using info from crutchfields.com and the original radio cover would clear it if you could figure out how to get it to still clip on.
The biggest issue is the blanking plate. From my understanding it was only made for the 1991 Interstate since that radio was in the fairing instead of the center console like all others were.. Honda isnt making any more of the filler plates so they are hard to track down.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:01 am

I have doubts that the "cover" on the '91 Center shelter will mount well with your '96 but if you are serious about finding one, you might have luck with getting hooked up with a "salvager" from ebay. You can usually find a few there, then phone them, or email them and let them know what you want. If they don't have what you want, they sometimes know what is "available" through another "competitor". PM me if you need tips on locating one in your area.

JohnO28

Post by JohnO28 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:41 am

I've emailed about a dozen motorcycle "junkyards" that said they have connections to people all over the country and haven't had any luck hearing back from any of them so far...

darryldevaney

Post by darryldevaney » Mon May 14, 2018 5:04 pm

If you are looking for the radio cover, like I used, you can find them all the time on ebay (search for Honda Goldwing 1500; might have to scroll a few pages).

Also, Cyclemax sells a transparent one:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... /86/127001

If you want a flat plate (someone mentioned a blanking plate), you can easily fabricate your own. Pull off the center shelter cover (you'll have to do this to install a new unit anyway) and remove the old radio. Set the shelter upside down on a piece of cardboard and trace the opening. Cut out a template that is 1/4-1/2" larger on each edge than your trace and tweak until it fits the opening. Then use the template to mark up whatever material you choose. A steel or aluminum plate would work well. I actually used cutting boards from Wal Mart to make my speaker plates and they are holding up quite well.

"I just wanna ride..."