CB Radio

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
freedomrunner
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

CB Radio

Post by freedomrunner » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:46 am

Greetings,

Just purchased a 2008 which includes a CB radio. The seller, (also the original owner), didn't have any manuals on the bike. I previously owned a 2004 Wing but it didn't have the CB radio. The seller stated that he never could figure out how to use the CB. Are there any known manuals, documents, etc. in existence or do I get the challenge of figuring this out myself? Leaving shortly (in about 10 days) on my first trip with this bike and wanted a quicker solution then me sitting on the bike hitting buttons, turning knobs, etc. Help is always appreciated.

Thank you
Larry

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Re: CB Radio

Post by PastoT » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:44 pm

First you'll need a means to talk to the CB, a external mic and adapter or a wired headset with a microphone, Short of that the CB is receive only, which still can serve a useful purpose. If you have wireless BT helmet headsets or are considering them I use the SENA 10S and a Sena Freewire dongle for the bike (which permits two way audio with the intercom/radio/CB...).
TO turn the CB on press the CB button in the radio (maybe 2 seconds) and check that it is displayed on the radio display. Pressing the CB button works as a toggle to send it audio to either the speakers or the headsets. On the left grip switch pod there are three up down switches (Volume, Squelch and Channel), these work as one might assume adjusting the CB volume which is independent of the radio, increases and decrease squelch level and change the CB channel up or down. Squelch is a means to block out distant and less powerful incoming CB signals and ground scatter; lowering the squelch increases the ability to hear distant weaker signals but allows a lot of disturbing background noise. Raising the squelch level blocks the weaker signals but allows closer stronger signals to "break squelch" and be heard. When a signal breaks squelch the radio will mute and the CB signal will be heard. A fourth finger control on the left pod is the push to talk (PTT) button hanging out left of the other 3 CB control buttons. Pressing this trigger down enable s you to Talk (Transmit) on the CB's set channel. There is one more option with the CB turned on, an it is accessed and controlled through pressing the right hand radio button; this is the roger beep. When turned on Roger Beep transmits a short beep on the CB just as you release the PTT trigger button. I set my Squelch on 10 or 11 typically and volume about 7 and channel to 19, but these are only my preferences, some locations have more background noise that others requiring the squelch to be turned up or down. Whom you ride with or talk to may be on a channel other than 19 (the standard highway trucker channel).
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

freedomrunner

Post by freedomrunner » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:08 pm

thank you sir, we might be heading your way on our way to Alaska. Keep the weather warm for us.

PastoT

Post by PastoT » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:55 pm

Haha... It was 27 this morning! It is supposed to warm up through the weekend, just what happens here after 2 snowy winters. It a seven year cycle and should be nice before long. Wish I had the freedom and vacation to tag along, I need some LD time on the road.
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

freedomrunner

Post by freedomrunner » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:56 am

thanks for the valuable info on the CB, etc. I just ordered a Sena 20S

PastoT

Post by PastoT » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:35 am

You'll want a Freewire also to connect the bike to your headset. I searched and found one under $200.
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

freedomrunner

Post by freedomrunner » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:24 pm

Update, Received the Sena 20S system, both synced to our iPhones easily. Sets came from factory pre-synced so intercom works great as well. Sound is clear and with our tall windshield, very little wind noise. We are both able to listen to music directly from our phones as well. One question, is there a way to set this up so that we can each listen to our music, but the music will go silent if someone begins talking on the intercom? Worked all day trying to figure that out. Either way, we like the system and appreciate you mentioning it to us.

Ride safe
Larry

SARGE59
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Post by SARGE59 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:38 pm

:| Why do CB's cost so much compared to car units? I've been looking for a used unit (practically impossible), but I'm starting to think it may not be a good idea (don't know what i'm getting).

Caught a deal with Powersports on the Sena Momentum ($404.00) and the standard price ($249.00) for the Sena Freewire.
Downside: The momentum can hear the wings infotainment system in mono only(Sena told me that a upgrade for stereo is in the pipe line).

Next: will be to upgrade the front and rear speakers (mine suck) without using amps and booster-space taking crap!!!! When I'm not in-helmet, I want to hear my stereo from ten feet away at least. The stock one impresses no one.

Bottom Line; Does anyone know where I can get a deal on a CB?

PastoT

Post by PastoT » Tue May 15, 2018 3:26 pm

OEM cb is pricey, no doubt. I see a faor share on eBay and various formula but for the 1800 there are two versions..gen 1 and gen 2. It may be the wiring harness alone I'm not sure. I bought the last model from mp3 and out works nicely for me, but they've vanished along with support so buyer beware there now. I also bought the handheld and still carry it in my trunk so I can monitor road closures if I have to hold up somewhere for weather and such, nice radio.
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

SARGE59
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Post by SARGE59 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:56 am

Hand held sounds like a good temporary way to go, until I do get a CB.

PastoT

Post by PastoT » Wed May 16, 2018 12:21 pm

I bought the Midland 75-822. You could probably mount it and wire it to your intercom. I think I saw goldwing specific kit to do so. S windfall tax return gave me $ for my evolution mp3 before I could mount the handheld.

Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"