Fuel Petcock

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jledbetter8
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda gl1500SE

Fuel Petcock

Post by jledbetter8 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:52 am

I have a 96 Gl1500 SE , Had a fuel leak I tracked down to the petcock. I ordered the rebuild kit , bike is running better now but still has some fuel coming from the weep hole. I took it back apart and check my work and everything aligned . still leaks....I'm about ready to order the whole darn thing to be over this. Anything I may have missed? BTW, I've been working on bikes since I was a teen so I have at least some mechanical skills , lol. :lol:

Thanks for any help!
Jon

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Re: Fuel Petcock

Post by wingdings » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi - Jon - saw your post there - Try this how too - I posted on here - fella - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36257 it should explain and help you go over your work you carried out - lastly make sure you buy proper parts not cheap imitation ones that don't fit right - we all been there fella - best regards - John.. Hope this helps :D :D :D :D :D

AndyFromWI
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE

Re: Fuel Petcock

Post by AndyFromWI » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:58 am

I ended up redoing my petcock twice as well.
When I got my rebuild kit, the rubber diaphragm was bent because of the way it was folded before it was inserted into the packaging. I did not think it was going to be a problem once installed. I rebuilt the auto fuel valve, re-installed, and the bike started. A week later I could not start the 1997 gl1500 SE, spent a lot of time troubleshooting.. Finally I removed the auto fuel valve, but I did not have a pressure tester, I almost ordered one, then thought.... DUH, just do a simple test.

How to test before installing:

Test 1: Will the small nipple hold a small amount of suction:
So here is the test, put a small hose on the small nipple, see if you can suck and it locks, you can put your tongue, on the end of the hose and if the diaphragm is working correctly it should hold suction. Note be gentle, it just takes a little.

In my case, I tried this test and it failed. As I understand it, the valve is designed to BLOCK fuel flow from the Tank (via the fuel pump), into the carburetor, when there is NOT suction. Once you have suction in the small nipple, this opens the valve and fuel can flow.

I re-opened the unit, re-seated the parts, put it back together and the suction test worked.

Test 2: Will larger nipple open when suction from the small nipple is applied:
For the second test, I applied suction to my little tube, bent the tube to seal the suction,
then tested putting pressure on the outer larger nipple (input from the fuel tank), the valve was open (I put a hose on the input nipple, and tried to blow into the hose)
Once I released the suction, applied pressure on the outer larger nipple, pressure was felt, and the valve was closed...... The valve worked this time.

I could have saved a lot of time and trouble if I would have simply tested this first.
-andy