Toggle on/off switch for radiator fan

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
busyboy55
Motorcycle: Honda 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Toggle on/off switch for radiator fan

Post by busyboy55 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 am

Could someone tell me please the easiest and best way to hook up a toggle on/off switch to operate my radiator fan. I still want the fan to come on automatically from the fan sensor. Pictures speak louder than words, so if you have any to share it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
"busyboy55"
Bruce

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Toggle on/off switch for radiator fan

Post by virgilmobile » Wed May 16, 2018 11:15 am

Locate the wire on the fan thermal switch...Tap a wire to it...run that wire to your new switch...Use the other side of the switch to run a wire to ground.
Turn on the key..flip the switch and hear the fan run...The new switch mimics the bikes thermal switch.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave » Sun May 20, 2018 12:57 pm

I placed my toggle switch on the left handlebar , accessible by left thumb .

There are TWO wires to the fan motor ... your switch and the thermal switch connects the one side to ground , turning the fan on ..

and as a simple add on, to the OTHER side of the fan wiring , I connected a small LED , to the switch wiring .

When the fan is on , either from the original thermal switch, or your back-up switch, the LED lights up . I also fastened the LED near the toggle switch .

After 3 years, and after a complete cleaning of the rad system, before doing any of this ..... the LED is the most useful part of the wiring... Every time I think about turning the switch.. the bike anticipates me , and turns the fan on... LOL

I have only actually used the switch maybe 5 times ...

SilverDave

SilverDave

Post by SilverDave » Sun May 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Here is the circuit diagram I modified , from another Wing Site, which I believe is now defunct .

LED's are directional , so must be connected with correct wire to positive but can operate on only 20 ga wire.

The diagram was living in a box in my garage for last two years , hence the crinkles . Connecting to the thermal switch wires is a pain ... and you probably need to remove rad to do it properly.

I was going to just crimp these connections , but decided I never want to do this again , so my connections are soldered and double shrink wrapped... a bit of a pain ( only about 4" of free wire to play with in there on rad thermal switch )
But as noted above ... if fan is working, the most important part is the LED

SilverDave

SilverDave

Post by SilverDave » Tue May 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Here is a MUCH better pic .. no wrinkles !!

SilverDave