trailer isolator

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
fred1diver
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

trailer isolator

Post by fred1diver » Sat May 26, 2018 10:09 am

hey everyone, just started looking at trailer isolators, what should I look for? how much should I expect to pay?

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: trailer isolator

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:36 pm

There is a very nice one, and not too expensive, and has a small foot print.

Has tiny little relays for each circuit to the trailer, and uses a fused primary wire to the battery to power the trailer's lights. Trying to find the link.

will come back when I have it

EDIT: this one is plug and play for the 1800 http://wingstuff.com/products/32949-plu ... m_search=1

this will work for any bike if you cut the connectors off, it is specifically for the 1500 as a Plug and Play.
http://wingstuff.com/products/36695-tra ... m_search=1

and for $29 fits the bill even if you do cut off the connectors.

here is one from Electrical Connection http://electricalconnection.com/index.p ... use-block/

a 5 Wire relay bank from Kuryacken https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/1744/ ... -harnesses

this is a very nice, universal, fits all setup. plus a bonus wire that can be connected as needed to provide fused 12v power to the trailer for compartment lights or keyless entry systems that are wired independently of the trailers essential lighting.

~John

fred1diver

Post by fred1diver » Sun May 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Do you know if they will work on the 1200?

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:30 pm

fred1diver wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:36 pm
Do you know if they will work on the 1200?
any of them will work with modifications, the last one would be the easiest for you to use.

This will work for any bike if you cut the connectors off, it is specifically for the 1500 as a Plug and Play.
http://wingstuff.com/products/36695-tra ... m_search=1

and for $29 fits the bill even if you do cut off the connectors.

this is a bit more money, but has loose wire leads for you to use.

a 5 Wire relay bank from Kuryacken https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/1744/ ... -harnesses

this is a very nice, universal, fits all setup. plus a bonus wire that can be connected as needed to provide fused 12v power to the trailer for compartment lights or keyless entry systems that are wired independently of the trailers essential lighting.
~John

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Mon May 28, 2018 6:30 am

Wingstuff has always been pricey on their shipping to Canada. You may wish to consider Cyclemax for this purchase. They have a couple of isolators, one less expensive, but neither one is what would be called expensive. Only one is listed for the 1200 tho, and it is a universal model.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/univers ... 108/280311 $48
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

fred1diver

Post by fred1diver » Mon May 28, 2018 11:26 am

cyclemax is expensive to ship as well, 38$ us for a 49$ item, I'll wait until next pay and order it

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:33 pm

it would be easy to make your own, and a lot cheaper.

just get a handful of small sized relays, and glue them together into a small package.

wire them up, test them to make sure all is good, then set them up on their backside, form a piece of cardboard around them, and pour in some rubber glue, or epoxy.

find a place to tie them up, and zip tie them to the frame.

just use a 10 amp fuse to the whole shebang and call it good.
~John

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 29, 2018 8:51 pm

fred1diver wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:26 am
cyclemax is expensive to ship as well, 38$ us for a 49$ item, I'll wait until next pay and order it
I know Cyclemax does not charge extra on their shipping - their shipping costs are what it costs to ship.

Same goes for me - I charge only what it costs (actually, I lose a bit of money on shipping on pretty much every order). The problem is not the vendors, it's Canada Post. Canada Post charges exorbitant fees to deliver items from international sellers. I have Canadian customers complain about the shipping charges all the time. The fact is, it costs me more to ship an item to Fort Erie, Ontario - a 2 1/2 hour drive from here - than it does to ship the exact same item to most European countries thousands of miles away overseas via air mail. Not only that, it takes 2-3 times longer for it to be delivered as well! The Canadian postal system is terrible!

themainviking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by themainviking » Wed May 30, 2018 6:14 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:51 pm
fred1diver wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:26 am
I know Cyclemax does not charge extra on their shipping - their shipping costs are what it costs to ship.

Same goes for me - I charge only what it costs (actually, I lose a bit of money on shipping on pretty much every order). The problem is not the vendors, it's Canada Post. Canada Post charges exorbitant fees to deliver items from international sellers. I have Canadian customers complain about the shipping charges all the time. The fact is, it costs me more to ship an item to Fort Erie, Ontario - a 2 1/2 hour drive from here - than it does to ship the exact same item to most European countries thousands of miles away overseas via air mail. Not only that, it takes 2-3 times longer for it to be delivered as well! The Canadian postal system is terrible!
Are you shipping via USPS? Anything small enough to ship United States Postal Service can be shipped more cheaply with them. Our biggest problem in Canada with shipments from the US are with UPS and Fedex, both of which charge us again at this end for brokering the item across the border. If our friend from Gatineau is being charged $38 for shipping a $49 trailer isolator, then either Cyclemax is shipping UPS or Fedex and paying the extra charges up front, or they are making some profit on the deal. Canada Post does not charge anything to deliver shipments from USPS as they have a reciprocal agreement. They deliver USPS shipments for no charge, and USPS delivers shipments to the US from Canada no charge. I do know that there was going to be a change to this as more and more items were ordered from the US than to the US, and Canada Post was going to have to surcharge. I do not know if this happened or not, as I have not ordered from the US in a while, since the dollars become so far apart in value. I look long and hard on the internet to find the items I need from Canadian suppliers. Believe it or not, with the exchange rate, I can get items far quicker, and only a dollar or two more right here at home. I found the wiring harness at FortNine as well, and when you add the shipping to the price from Cyclemax, and then do the exchange, it is actually less expensive from FortNine.

https://fortnine.ca/en/show-chrome-isol ... ess-16-125

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed May 30, 2018 8:06 am

themainviking wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:14 am
Are you shipping via USPS? Anything small enough to ship United States Postal Service can be shipped more cheaply with them. Our biggest problem in Canada with shipments from the US are with UPS and Fedex, both of which charge us again at this end for brokering the item across the border. If our friend from Gatineau is being charged $38 for shipping a $49 trailer isolator, then either Cyclemax is shipping UPS or Fedex and paying the extra charges up front, or they are making some profit on the deal. Canada Post does not charge anything to deliver shipments from USPS as they have a reciprocal agreement. They deliver USPS shipments for no charge, and USPS delivers shipments to the US from Canada no charge.
I ship using USPS - I'm from Canada, I know what UPS does to Canadians on foreign shipments, and I wouldn't do that to my customers! :)

Canada Post doesn't deliver for "no charge" - the cost of the Canadian side of the delivery is built into the price we pay on the US postage. If I ship a small package via USPS to Buffalo, NY, it costs me around $6. If I ship the exact same package to Fort Erie, ON, 500 yards away from Buffalo, across the border, it costs me almost $14.

This is the isolator I put on my 1500 - at almost a quarter of the price you listed, and it is plug-and-play, no soldering required to tie it into your wiring harness:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... /129/59647

The 1800 version (similarly plug-and-play) is $32: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_ ... arness/166

I was just going to build one myself, but for $26, that's less that it would cost me to buy the parts to build it myself, so I just bought the pre-made one.

fred1diver

Post by fred1diver » Wed May 30, 2018 4:52 pm

Stupid question but what if I don’t need the 5th wire, I’m looking at installing it on a 4 wire plug

themainviking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by themainviking » Wed May 30, 2018 5:18 pm

fred1diver wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:52 pm
Stupid question but what if I don’t need the 5th wire, I’m looking at installing it on a 4 wire plug
I am far from being the electronics expert on this forum but you may also need a five wire to four wire adapter if your trailer is four wire.