throttle by wire


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2018+)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
doxbike
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 am
Location: laguna beach,ca
Motorcycle: 2018 gl1800bd the "Bagger", and 2008 Suzuki B-king-the "Beast'

throttle by wire

Post by doxbike » Mon May 28, 2018 2:55 pm



found a second thing about the 2018 that I don't like-1st is the nav system; 2nd is the throttle grip. The throttle by wire works fine, but the forward, backward, up and down excessive play is driving me batty! The rotational free play is fine, but when you push, pull, lift or press on the grip when you're countersteering, or even accelerating, is annoying as hell. I could put an o-ring between the perch and the grip to solve it, a de facto poor man's cruise control, but I don't want to do that. Will you guys with a 2018 check yours to see you have the same. If not, maybe I'm missing a bushing in there.
TIA



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19930
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: throttle by wire

Post by WingAdmin » Wed May 30, 2018 8:16 am

doxbike wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:55 pm
found a second thing about the 2018 that I don't like-1st is the nav system; 2nd is the throttle grip. The throttle by wire works fine, but the forward, backward, up and down excessive play is driving me batty! The rotational free play is fine, but when you push, pull, lift or press on the grip when you're countersteering, or even accelerating, is annoying as hell. I could put an o-ring between the perch and the grip to solve it, a de facto poor man's cruise control, but I don't want to do that. Will you guys with a 2018 check yours to see you have the same. If not, maybe I'm missing a bushing in there.
TIA
I don't see why any free play of any kind would be fine? On a mechanical throttle, some free play is required, otherwise you'll bind up the cables. But on a throttle by wire, it's just connected to a potentiometer or position sensor, and there is no free play required (or desired).

What are others seeing?

doxbike
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 am
Location: laguna beach,ca
Motorcycle: 2018 gl1800bd the "Bagger", and 2008 Suzuki B-king-the "Beast'

Re: throttle by wire

Post by doxbike » Wed May 30, 2018 6:13 pm

So, I went to the dealer and checked out 6 different wings-all had about the same amount of play. When I talked to service manager and head mechanic and showed them the issue, they were astounded nobody else had pointed that out. They were immediately on the phone to the area rep asking him to get in touch with Japan about a fix, as they thought it was totally BS that this bike had this kind of a problem. We'll see?

GW.Rider
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:53 pm
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Re: throttle by wire

Post by GW.Rider » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:54 pm

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Tony

User avatar
C-dub
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Location: DFW, Texas
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: throttle by wire

Post by C-dub » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 pm

I wonder if it is a way to keep it from being too sensitive?

Anyone work on any fly-by-wire systems? Was there anything like this on those?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

doxbike
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 am
Location: laguna beach,ca
Motorcycle: 2018 gl1800bd the "Bagger", and 2008 Suzuki B-king-the "Beast'

Re: throttle by wire

Post by doxbike » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:17 am

GW.Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:54 pm
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Hmmm? I replied to your question, but it's not showing, so I'll repeat.
No, I haven't. Every GW I checked had the same issue. Haven't tried a 2019 yet

doxbike
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 am
Location: laguna beach,ca
Motorcycle: 2018 gl1800bd the "Bagger", and 2008 Suzuki B-king-the "Beast'

Re: throttle by wire

Post by doxbike » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:19 am

C-dub wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 pm
I wonder if it is a way to keep it from being too sensitive?

Anyone work on any fly-by-wire systems? Was there anything like this on those?
With the excessive play, I would think it would cause it to be more jerky? I've just learned to ignore it. Took awhile, tho'.



Post Reply