2002 Goldwing tries to die after riding for a while

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
jacksonjeffrey1
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda GL1800

2002 Goldwing tries to die after riding for a while

Post by jacksonjeffrey1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:07 am

My 2002 Goldwing starts and runs just fine on the first ride of the day. However, after stopping for lunch, or any other type of break, the bike starts cutting out after getting back on it and riding for just a bit. The fault code came up as the left bank knock sensor, so I had that replaced; didn't solve the problem. Since the bike acts like it isn't getting enough fuel and the idle goes up and down, then dies, I replaced the fuel pump: didn't solve the problem. You can feel the bike "missing" at highway speed and it will likely die at a stop light but will then fire right back up. So far, I haven't been stranded but I think it is only a matter of time. I have a sneaking suspicion that the fault code will again read the left bank knock sensor but I just replaced it. I'm at my wits end and the shop is talking about replacing the wiring harness that goes to the knock sensor but I would like to eliminate any other likely candidates before I go there. I can upload a video of the bike running if that will help. Any and all guidance is appreciated.

Jeff Jackson

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: 2002 Goldwing tries to die after riding for a while

Post by DaveO430 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:21 pm

It is usually the ECM that causes the knock sensor code, not the sensor or the wiring. It normally won't cause any running problem but will effect the fuel economy and probably performance but it would be hard to tell by seat of the pants. It is possible the ECM is causing the dieing problem too.

jacksonjeffrey1

Post by jacksonjeffrey1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:03 pm

Can I reset the ECM or do I need to replace it?

jacksonjeffrey1

Post by jacksonjeffrey1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:23 pm

Been looking up the ECM issue and it looks like that is my next replacement part. I see a bunch of used ones out there but I'm torn. Should I buy used and take the rush or suck it up and buy new?

Kurt J
Motorcycle: 2001 gl1800a

Post by Kurt J » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:51 pm

I had the same problem with mine. Got a few codes. When I posted the problem here one of the guys said to flip my eng kill switch back and forth. After that that bike has had no more problems.....needless to say I clean all the switches with elc cleaner. You might want to try it for kicks....you would be surprised how the simple things can get yeah.
Mind over Matter:
You don't mind , it don't matter..... :D

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Not sure you'd get a knock sensor FI or anything at all but have you check the ignition coils for electrical leaks. If you remove inner cowl behind the forks and start her up in a dark garage, you might actually see a light show! My thought is after warming up and stopping the heat rises and could be expanding any existing coil leak/crack and allowing spark to jump out or another fault to become an issue. It would certainly become the missing symptoms you noted. I have a miss on mine I suspect, and ordered a set of 2d hand coils and wires to help isolate the issue, I plan on ohm'ing out the coils and substituting to see if it stops what the timing gun has shown me is not my imagination. My 5 & 6 cylinder plugs are to be missing occasionally (I changed plugs already and still seems to be there but mileage increased noticeably). My second guess is aged plug wires I can now isolate and test as well, possible a cross fire or leak straight to ground somewhere I can't see. In your case I'd rule try to rule out a damaged coil or coils.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Bad running after hot and a knock sensor code is a bad ECM. A bad knock sensor will not cause the engine to run badly, the ECM has an internally issue that will get worse. I would go with a new ECM, just because the used one you get will probably develop this issue sooner or later.

gmg
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing 2002

Post by gmg » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:02 pm

My 2002 just started having a problem related to this: it starts and runs fine for about 10 minutes, until warm. While riding (or idling at standstill), all the electronics cut out (radio, turn signals, lights, even the tach), and then within a few minutes the engine misfires and it runs poorly, dying out. Won't start again until it cools down, then it repeats the process. Brand new battery, but doesn't help restarting when hot - bike acts as if the battery is dead. Is this the ECM? help appreciated.

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:31 pm

The ECM won’t affect the lights, but there is an issue that rears it’s ugly head on these 1st and 2nd gen 1800s. It’s a bad connection that develops in C5, C25 on 06-08 models, a blue junction connector that’s in the main harness just in front of the relay bank under the seat. It has 4 major circuits running through it and bad connections on one set of the black/yellow wires in it can cause lots of strange issues with the engine and if it gets bad enough, start affecting the other circuits. The junction connectors are basically a distribution point for the circuit/s, where one supply wire brings power into it and shorting bars in its cap connect and distribute the power to other branches of the circuit. C5 has 4 separate circuits in it, the FI system has 4 black/yellow wires, the Accessory power circuit has 6 light green/black wires, the Cruise Control has 6 black/yellow wires, and the Tail Light circuit has 4 brown/white wires. You will need to find it, pull the cap off and inspect it for heating/browning of its housing and melting of the cap and/or housing. If you find anything wrong with it, then you will need to cut the affected wires off of it and solder them together, bypassing the bad connections. Don’t get the cruise wires mixed up with the other black/yellow wires, they are all the same color but are separate circuits.

01-05 1800, the 06-08 have the same circuits but different PIN numbers in C25.
C5 LT GRN/BLK pins 1–6 CB Radio, ACC system.
C5 BLK/YEL pins 7–10 Charging System, Fuel System, Ignition System
C5 BLK/YEL pins 11–16 Cruise Control
C5 BRN/WHT pins 17–20 Tail light circuit

If C5 looks good and has no evidence of a bad connection, then you need to probe around in the fuse box with a voltmeter when it refuses to turn anything on and see if it’s a complete system power failure on all of the fuses. Also check the battery posts to see if the battery is ok. If you haven’t done it, make sure and check and clean the backsides of the battery cable ends, where they contact the battery posts. A little corrosion there can easily cause a complete system shutdown.