What to look for when buying

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Mudge
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda gl1000k plane Jane u.s. import

Re: What to look for when buying

Post by Mudge » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:13 pm

I bought one of thee babys but unfortunately i have had some very poor luck with 2 different bike mechanics and the bike has been less than co operative, i had dyna electronic ignition fitted and timing belts changed and valves checked also i had the carbs stripped and ultrasonically cleaned by the first so called mechanic and when i got the bike back she ran like a sack of angry cats, so i took the carbs off and after several hours of examing each carb individually i found a snapped float support in the rear left carb.
So i found a complete unmolested set of carbs and went to another workshop, after 3 days and another £500 i was told shes runnjng a bit eratic but shell settle down after a couple of hundred miles but guess what 430 miles later she keeps trying to cut out as if shes running on full choke, im starting to wonder what is going on here in the united kingdom.
Aparently the second mechanic had my carbs off, stripped ultrasonically cleaned 3 times cleaned in fact then he told me that he couldent find anyone who sold the carb rebuild kits with the o rings so he then used the net to find the o rings and he does not understand why the bike is now worse than when i took it to him, in fact he even went as far as to say that i must have played with the carbs for the engine to rock the way its doing...cheeky git, its obviouse that no one local to me knows what they are doing and just want to take your money, so now i have a nice lòking bike that dont want to start but when she does she seams to be only fireing on 3 on tick over and she stutters and almost misfires under load and tries to die on me.

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike

Post by terryt » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:35 pm

What year is the bike. did they set Float levels and balance the carbs when they rebuilt and fitted. set up the split timing up on the dyna pickups

David Silver sell the carb kits. for Goldwing's

I have a set here that have just cleaned and rebuilt for a 1100 with all new gaskets and jets. ready to be fitted on a mate bike

I'm in Portsmouth if you want any information

Mudge
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda gl1000k plane Jane u.s. import

Post by Mudge » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:29 am

Hi,
My bike is 1976 and im supposing they did all of those things but to be honest with you i do have some very serious doubts.
Setting up the split timing is beyond my abilities as is stripping and rebuilding my carbs as they are not as straight forward as my old cb550 four carbs were, they were a walk in the park by comparison to the carbs on my gl1000.

So far i must have paid out over a 1200 pounds on two seperate so called mechanics to just rebuild my carbs and get the old girl running nice and to be honest i feel pretty much let down.
Ill take a look on david silver and order the carb kits.
And ill let you knw when i have them.
Are you available to help me sort this head ache out?.
I look forward to your reply and any advice will be greatfully received.
Vic

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike

Post by terryt » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:43 am

Mudge wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:29 am
Hi,
My bike is 1976 and im supposing they did all of those things but to be honest with you i do have some very serious doubts.
Setting up the split timing is beyond my abilities as is stripping and rebuilding my carbs as they are not as straight forward as my old cb550 four carbs were, they were a walk in the park by comparison to the carbs on my gl1000.

So far i must have paid out over a 1200 pounds on two seperate so called mechanics to just rebuild my carbs and get the old girl running nice and to be honest i feel pretty much let down.
Ill take a look on david silver and order the carb kits.
And ill let you knw when i have them.
Are you available to help me sort this head ache out?.
I look forward to your reply and any advice will be greatfully received.
Vic
Hi Vic. Yes i will help you sort this out. before you order any thing i would like to see and hear the bike run if that's possible. i will measage you my phone number.

Soupcat 1920
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 x 2 ,1975 CB400F , 1979 Yamaha XS650SF, 1981 Yamaha XS650SH

Post by Soupcat 1920 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:22 pm

I can relate, I too have the affliction to “rescue” old neglected motorcycles. That is why I have the collection of motorcycles I have, including two 1975 Goldwings that I picked up last fall. They both now runs and are titled. However, they both need lots of love. Brake overhauls , carb overhauls , tires , just to list the obvious. It gets expensive in a hurry. There was enough parts between them to put together one basically stock bike. The other one will become a bobber or something else. I haven’t decided on a direction for it yet as I have other projects to finish up first. With a couple of kids in college my discretionary funds are limited so it’s going to be awhile before I get to it. Good luck with your project.