88 GL1500 dies when i pull clutch at red light

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
William Hopgood
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500/6

88 GL1500 dies when i pull clutch at red light

Post by William Hopgood » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:16 pm

i smell gas its running rich it dies when i'm down shifting and then pull clutch.... i've checked hoses but i dont feel confident enough to pull carb my self or adjust carbs im worried about messing up the induction systems ....BTW im a GW noob is there a tutorial on this ?

PS ive changed the spark plugs and clean out carbs with sea foam runs good aside from some few nosies

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: 88 GL1500 dies when i pull clutch at red light

Post by RBGERSON » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:25 am

Sure sounds like fuel issue..you could pull the air box and look at the carb function..could be carbs, filter, pump, electrical to the pump??..

More info to isolate teh issue..does it idle?, accelerate well??, dies only when stopped or riding too?? If yoiu put the choke on a bit will if "fix" the issue??
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

William Hopgood

Post by William Hopgood » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:04 pm

its surges on the highway ...and no never dies while idling .....lots of people have said check vacuum line ...i have not had a chance to spray starting fluid to see if it revs rpms yet ..now ive seen pic of pepole who have pulled carbs off and i see so many hoses even if i find the hose im not sure i have enough know how to pull the right hose and im afraid im going f*%k it up...bout to take an 2000 mile trip on the bike in 1 week and im frustrated some time bike runs like a dream and sometimes i want to set it on fire because these hoses look like spaghetti and its overwhelming ....

William Hopgood

Post by William Hopgood » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:22 pm

could be coil,plus wires,vacuum hose , fuel filter or even Idle air jet controller, or AJ2 or AJ3 ..... i almost want to give up...im at my wits end for sure

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:00 am

The vac lines look intimidating but can be kept under control.
1st, PICTURES!
2nd. Only disconnect the section your working on and move them sparingly so they plop back where they want to go.
3rd. Label with masking tape.
4th. IF you're snipping the ends for tightness, SNIP AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE, they're barely made to length.

Vav line elbows. The 'L' is where they wear out. Could cheat time by blobbing thicker with RTV.
I've formed a short soft copper tube and inserted it using nut buster oil (it eventually evaporates).
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

William Hopgood

Post by William Hopgood » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:45 pm

im starting to think its coils or wires but to change coils i must remove the carb and reservoir . i plain on doing a compression test and a ether test to rule out vacuum lines and or cracked or tweaked heads
and yes it looks intimidating.
coils and wires should be here monday 18th dreading it . most of time bike runs great SMFH

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Post by kane67 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:33 pm

How was the color in old spark plugs?

Has this recall been done? http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/sb2.pdf
88 model, default pilot mix screws were 3 1/8 turns open. Recall tells finally 2 1/8 open after parts changed.

I would test it by turning screws in, count the turns. Then open what you counted + add 1/4 or 1/2 turns more.

My bike does not have this recall done, I’ve updated #55 jets.
I’ve had problem of missing fuel at highway speeds, thinking and testing many things I finally adjusted float level from 8.0mm to 7.4mm and problem seem to be disappeared. Been testing this now 3 days & 400 km’s after adjustment.
I still have pilot screws 3 1/8 open, need to check plugs color after few weeks.

To check/adjust float levels, carbs must be taken out so it would be part of checking/replacing vacuum lines at the same time maybe ;)
Orange vacuum tubes are under carbs, between heat mat and engine.

William Hopgood

Post by William Hopgood » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:36 am

bought a coil and wire set i still think its fuel problem not a ignition most of the time bike runs great i do get a bit or surging while at steady speeds
well i was told its a clogged fuel circuit.and when i pulled the airbox one side is darker than other and the bike sit for awhile . i was told $550 to rebuild and tune ..the carbs are the only thing on the bike that scares me and really if ive done few times it would be different...im poor why i got an 88 in 1st place lol 2,700 but owning a GW had been a dream of mine since early 90's when i got my 1st bike a honda NS 50cc ...lot of the Org post was emotion and for those who responded Thank You . silver lining by time im done throwing parts at this bike it will damn near be new LMFAO if i ever get a place i want to have a spare gl1500 motor sitting around to rebuild the whole deal

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:56 am

William Hopgood wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:36 am
.... most of the time bike runs great i do get a bit or surging while at steady speeds
MOST LIKELY A VAC LEAK.
IF CARBS BEEN UNTOUCHED, POSSIBLE STICKY FLOAT OR POOR FUEL, OR AS YOU MENTIONED SLUGGISH FUEL CIRCUIT. SEAFOAM WORKS WONDERS

....when i pulled the airbox one side is darker than other and the bike sit for awhile .
OIL BREATHER TUBE MOST LIKELY. GET MOTOR RUNNING GOOD THAT SHOULD CLEAR UP.
CARB WORK, GET FT. LONG NEEDLE NOSE PLYERS, MAYBE 2. HARBOR FREIGHTS CHEAP.

....and for those who responded Thank You . silver lining by time im done throwing parts at this bike it will damn near be new LMFAO if i ever get a place i want to have a spare gl1500 motor sitting around to rebuild the whole deal
I picked up a spare motor, it's in storage. 75k miles. IF the price is right WHEN I'll sell it I'll part with it. But for now @250k miles & still purring, no issues, I'll hang onto it.
Re-read my post on pulling vac lines, it really isn't that bad.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.