Resurrecting Grandpa's Wing

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Re: Resurrecting Grandpa's Wing

Post by Ravyn » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:11 pm

bigsteveswing wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:23 am
Ravyn wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Bigsteve.....

I have a 1994 gl1500 with a CSC friendship 3 mounted to it. You said something about riding it ? Do you have the sidecar mounted? Most but not all rigs have a 4.5 or 6 degree triple tree added that reduces your trail so the bike will steer easier with the car. If this has been done to yours then be very careful if you ride it without the sidecar attached. That reduced trail will make it very twitchy and it can go into a serious head shake. It is not recomended to ride a bike with those triple trees installed. Also it should have a 2 inch longer fork tubes to bring the bike back to level if the trees were installed. Some of the fork tubes were replaced as a complete unit and some simply had a 2 inch extension installed. This will also increase the amount of oil you need in your front forks. About 30 cc's more seems to be about right. And there will be a 2 inch insert that sits on top of the fork. Also does your side car have electric tilt or electric lean as some call it. Do you know who installed the car and what brand it is. Rigs are a lot of fun once you get past quirks of a sidecar. The electric tilt will make it so much better.
You can contact Jay at DMC sidecars out here in Washington state and he will talk you through just about anything. dmcsidecars.com
Also the forum, United side car Association, Is a good forum to check out but it seems to be down for maintenance or something. sidecar.com
Ravyn...

Thank you for the information.

I do not have the sidecar mounted currently. I did go out for a small ride Wednesday, everything worked as expected, I need more practice but that is another topic.
I am not sure what model the sidecar is, I know it is a CSC brand, if I recall it was originally on a gl1200. I can post pics or give details as to it's construction, if someone could identify the model that would be great. My grandpa bought it used and he and my uncle mounted it to the bike. My uncle owned a welding and fabricating business for years and he and I are both post-secondary welding instructors now. I remember when they put it on they had bunches of papers with the measurements needed. I am pretty confident that the bike was not changed other than mounting points. I know the bike was ridden with the sidecar off in the past (sidecar got a flat and they took it off and trailered it home, rode the bike home). The sidecar has a manual lean lever, no electric. I intend to put the sidecar back on in the spring and take the free PA state 3 wheel training course just for the added experience.
Hi Bigsteve, I was looking at the pics you posted and from what I can see it does not look like the triple trees were changed. It doesn't look like they are angled out far enough to the front. If not it will be a little more difficult to turn especially in slow corners. If you could post some side view shots of the bike I might be able to tell you. Also most of the makers of those triple trees had there name on the top of the top triple tree, but not all did that. I'm glad you have at least a manual tilt control. That will help you with road crown and strong cross winds. I know the guys at , sidecar.com or Jay at DMC will be able to identify that car. If that rig is set up right as far as toe in and sidecar wheel lead and you trim it with your manual tilt you should be damn near able to take your hands off the bars and it will go straight down the road, at least for a short time anyway. No pulling left or right. If you are always fighting the handlebars to make it go straight then something needs to be changed and it wont be much fun to drive.

Here's mine.

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I

Re: Resurrecting Grandpa's Wing

Post by bigsteveswing » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:31 pm

These are some more of the pics I took the day I brought the bike home
Attachments