Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Wingstuff Half Cover Review

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:56 am

Having finally worn out my previous half cover, I thought I would give the Wingstuff Deluxe Half Cover a try. Like my previous cover, It is water resistant, but NOT waterproof. And like my previous cover (which was a thin, tent-like material) I will spray it with a tent waterproofing spray once or twice a year to MAKE it waterproof. We'll see how well it works.

It comes in its own stuff sack, of which the size was a bit of a surprise: It's roughly twice the size of my old cover in its stuff sack. Much heavier, too.

Unpacked and installed, the reason for the size is clear: this cover is made of a much heavier material than my old cover (which, as I mentioned, was a thin, nylon, tent-like material).

My bike is a large bike - it has a Tulsa Tall windshield as well as Baker Hand Wings on the mirrors, so there are lots of things sticking out that made my old cover a very tight fit. This cover - no problems, it fit perfectly!

It actually also covers a bit more (farther down) than my old cover as well, which is a benefit.

The rear of the cover tucks fully underneath the trunk, and the elastic cinches it to prevent it from blowing off.

There is an adjustable elastic cinch at the sides, which loops around the base of your driver footpeg to hold it in place. Those with footboards may have to find a different place to cinch it down to, but the adjustability of the elastic strap makes this not too difficult.

Of concern is the folded antenna (which has sharp corners) pushing up against the obviously reinforced areas.

Inside the cover, you can see the reinforcement for the antennas. I will be watching this closely to see if it wears at this at all.

The inside front of the cover has a soft, cotton liner, to protect your windshield from scratches.

The inside rear of the cover also has the same liner, to protect your trunk paint/bodywork from scratches.

Overall, I'm pleased with this low-cost ($30) cover from Wingstuff. I will add to this review in time to report on how the cover is surviving the test of time.

Pros:
- Reasonably strong material
- Full coverage, even with tall windshield
- Strong cinch straps
- Low Cost

Cons:
- Water resistant, not waterproof
- Not machine washable
- Questionable reinforcement over antenna area
- Large size when stowed

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Re: Wingstuff Half Cover Review

Post by RockportDave » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:40 pm

Great review and photos of the half cover. I am shopping for one now and this one looks to be strong and reinforced in the right areas.
We get a lot of wind here and the sun will bake the seat, handgrips, etc while even on a short stop. Shade is at a premium in South Texas during the summer.
What do you use to waterproof your covers?
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:44 am

I have WingStuff's full cover for the GL1800. I have had it since early 2011 and it is still going strong. some of the thread is coming out at one edge, so I had better get that stitched back in, but this has been not only the least expensive cover I have ever found, but also the best. Like Wing Admin's half cover, it is thin tent material and water "resistant" but not proof, so I spray it with proofing each spring, and it has held up well. I second Wing Admin's recommendation on WingStuff's covers.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:27 am

RockportDave wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:40 pm
Great review and photos of the half cover. I am shopping for one now and this one looks to be strong and reinforced in the right areas.
We get a lot of wind here and the sun will bake the seat, handgrips, etc while even on a short stop. Shade is at a premium in South Texas during the summer.
What do you use to waterproof your covers?
Dave
I use this spray - I buy one can a year, and spray it on in the spring, it lasts easily all year long.

https://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Heavy- ... 567&sr=8-3

RockportDave

Post by RockportDave » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Thanks guys. I went on Wingstuff and the half cover was on backorder till end of July.
Has anyone used the Ultragard from Cyclemax?
I can get it in cranberry which will somewhat match my bike. Need one soon, the sun is working overtime here.

Davebasil
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Davebasil » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:24 am

I've had my Ultraguard cover for five years. It has held up very well. I purchased the cover in gold which matched my bike color very well. The color has faded, but the cover has held strong. I was going to purchase a new cover for looks, however the gold cover has no longer been available been available for the last two years. I wasn't looking forward to the cranberry colored cover as it appeared the gold cover seemed to be made just for my bike. All in all, I've had great success with the cover for indoor/outdoor use here in hot and sunny Tennessee.

RockportDave

Post by RockportDave » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:16 am

Thanks for the info Dave.
I definitely need a cover for short stops and around here the sun starts baking things quick.
I can get the cranberry from Cyclemax which will match my bike.
Dave

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by seabeechief » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:48 pm

I bought that half cover a few months ago and I LOVE it! Wish I had done it a long time ago. A lot less hassle going on and off, and saves a little space on the bike.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

Wildwilly018
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by Wildwilly018 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:46 pm

I have a wingstuff half cover that a friend gave me yrs ago, but have found it doesn't fit my 1500 altho he also had a 1500. Are there different sizes even when the bikes are the same style.

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by seabeechief » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:03 pm

I don't know the answer to that, Wildwilly. I have a GL1800 and it fits great.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

RockportDave

Post by RockportDave » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:35 pm

Just ordered the Ultragard in Cranberry from Cyclemax. We’re having exceptionally hot sunny days and definitely need something. Shade wherever we stop is at a premium and hard to come by sometimes.

Seabeechief,
I’m working in New Braunfels so l have a good idea how 15 minutes in the San Antonio sun will start baking things.
We have the breeze off the water in Rockport which gives us a little relief.
Dave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Wildwilly018 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:46 pm
I have a wingstuff half cover that a friend gave me yrs ago, but have found it doesn't fit my 1500 altho he also had a 1500. Are there different sizes even when the bikes are the same style.
That's my 1500 in the pictures with the cover on it, and even with the Tall Tulsa windshield on there, it fits great.

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 am

I've been using the UltraGuard half cover since I first read about it here for years ago. It's been a great cover, easy to get on and to take off and store. The elastic straps rotted away after one season, but my wife replaced them with some much more durable web straps.

This will probably be the last season for it though. The material is starting to get some sun rot. It got a tear in a corner by the trunk a couple weeks ago. My wife patched it, but it wouldn't surprise me if some more start to show up soon.

I'll probably get another UltraGuard. One of the things that I like about it is how small it packs down for storage, so I don't think I would like the one from WingStuff taking up more space.

/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

Wildwilly018
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by Wildwilly018 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:31 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 pm
Wildwilly018 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:46 pm
That's my 1500 in the pictures with the cover on it, and even with the Tall Tulsa windshield on there, it fits great.
I must be doing something wrong. I will have to give it a go again.

gtomei
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 blue
2006 Honda Silver Wing FSC600A

Post by gtomei » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:06 pm

I have had one since 2011and use it religiously when on the road. It is good for keeping dust off when parked overnight somewhere. Also a bit water resistant. After all these years it's still like new. Very pleased with it.

I ride a Goldwing but I love all bikes.