"Barn Find" Woes

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

"Barn Find" Woes

Post by someone548 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Hello all.
Picked up a 1982 GL1100 for a few hundred dollars. Appeared to be fairly complete so I thought I could maybe get it going and sell it. It was last registered in 2010 so it had been sitting for some time. It had no key, so I bought a blank and cut a key with a dremel using one of the trunk lock cylinders. After getting the key made, I connected a battery to the bike and it wouldn't turn over. I pulled the starter out to see if it was the issue and when I did some bad gas began to pour out of the opening. I decided to drain the oil to see what came out. Out drained a fairly disgusting smelling mixture of oil and bad gas. Having done that, I put the bike on the center stand, removed the plugs, put it in 5th, and tried to turn the back wheel. Locked. So.....does anyone think there is any chance of salvaging the engine, or have I got a nice yard ornament?
Attachments

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: "Barn Find" Woes

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:46 pm

I think you have purchased a project.

You will need some patience and time to see if it is going to be a goer or non goer.

I would start by plugs out and if you have access to an endoscope camera - look into the spark plug holes and check the cylinders out.. If not then pour a little bit of kerosene or something similar down the holes (marvel mystery oil?) and see if it will turn that way- there is an access bolt at the back of the alternator which you can turn "clockwise" to also see if it can be turned - take your time and don't force anything.

If you pour penetrating fluid down the spark plug holes give it time to do its thing - and keep repeating that and see if the motor will move..

Report back on any success

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:25 am

Take the timing belt covers off and see if you have a broken belt ..if yoiu do most likely a bent valve(s) or holed piston if holed piston better/easier/cheaper to get a replacement engine. if the belts are good. do as suggested above..fill cylinders with oil/atf/kerosene etc. and let it for a few days..then see if you can turn the engine over by hand. Also could have been hydro locked and bent a rod...again new engine rather than rebuild.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

arnoldsq
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Post by arnoldsq » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:43 pm

im currently putting back together a similar project except it was sitting for even longer. you will probably have to pull the tank out and de-rust it also. but to break over the engine I sprayed in PB-Blast let it sit for a week, then put it into 5th like you did but I sat on it and rocked back and forth for about 5 minutes to get micro fractures into the rusted parts. 3 or 4 times of this letting it sit for a day in between since mine is at the storage facility and not home and it broke right over spraying fluid everywhere. just remember that the open cylinders will drain into the exhaust. My first start was horrible on smoke because of it. I think the previous owner had also dumped atf or something down it also. im currently in the middle of painting the tank to reinstall it, but on a secondary tank it runs smooth and clean after the carbs were cleaned. I have a post with a video of the first start on gas on here and other than an idle adjustment and seafoam treatment I haven't made much progress since the video. I did pull the back wheel and am going to clean out the final drive and fill with new fluids. It all depends how bad the engine is, but if its only minor corrosion from valves being open you may get lucky and only put a bit of money into it getting running.

someone548

Post by someone548 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Hello again,
Per the suggestions here, I soaked the cylinders in a combination of PB blaster and WD-40. The nut for the crank bolt cover on the back of the engine was stripped, but I removed it with some locking pliers. I dropped the big down off the center stand and rocked it a bit in 5th. I put it back in neutral and slowly but surely I was able to turn the engine! Woo hoo! I turned it by hand til it felt reasonably loose then engaged the starter. The starter started off very slow, but after a little cranking it now turns at a normal speed. The plan now is to put some new oil in it and turn the engine over for about 2 minutes total in 15 second increments to try to get whatever crud that's left in the engine out.. I plan to then drain the oil and replace it. After that, I'm going to connect a gas can to the fuel inlet line on the pump and see if it will fire. Wish me luck!

arnoldsq

Post by arnoldsq » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:33 pm

congrats. thats exactly what I did, but be careful from what I see these starters are weak and burn out easily.

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:38 pm

That's a good result so far, keep turning the motor over by hand - but I would still lubricate the cylinders with oil or fluid in them - just to wash or clear any small debris up the cylinder walls.

Might be worthwhile checking all your ground points on the bike - particularly for the starter to make sure you have clean contact and no corrosion.

A fully charged battery will be needed - and maybe the starter could need a clean up - but at this stage - if you have a motor that turns - you have light at the end of the tunnel already.

If you have already replaced the oil - leave that in - you would not have contaminated it much - use it for when you start the bike - and then after it has run for a reasonable time frame- check the quality and colour - if required replace it - maybe another filter as well......

But get it firing on all 4 cylinders first.... good luck ----maybe some more photos ??

someone548

Post by someone548 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Hey all! An update. I decided to try and see if it would run. Plugs back in, gas can to fuel pump, and a lawn mower battery. (didn't want to buy a 50 dollar battery until I was sure it would run) After minimal cranking and a little throttle work, it fired. Sounds pretty good actually. Firing on all four. There are a few issues now however. The fuel pump is leaking from the weep hole which presumably means it's bad? One or more of the carbs are leaking. The bike seems to be getting overfueled. It would run with throttle til it flooded. Removed the fuel line, cranked, and it would run great until the fuel was gone. Hook the fuel back up, more flooding. I had it running for approximately 3 minutes by kinking the fuel line periodically to limit the fuel. Not really sure what that indicates. I suppose the next step is going to be replacing or repairing the fuel pump, possibly rebuilding the carbs, and cleaning the fuel tank. It may be a minute til I get to that as my 1500 needs some work now as well. Stay tuned.
Attachments

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:48 pm

That petrol tank looks really nasty at the filler cap. I hope it is not the same inside - as it looks pretty crusty.

You definitely need to run a fuel filter to stop any sediment and fine rust particles from entering the carbs.

But glad to hear it is running - so now it is only maintenance to bring it back to life... :)

arnoldsq

Post by arnoldsq » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:11 pm

tank is worse than mine was but vinegar bath should clean it up.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:07 pm

I suggest that you use electrolysis to clean that fuel tank.

you can do it still in the bike, and it will get every speck of rust out of it.

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/M ... emoval.htm

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2- ... ntion.html
~John

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:03 am

You probably pumped whatever gunk that was lurking inside the fuel pump into the carbs, that is probably part of the flooding. Judging by the the way that tank looks though, the carbs are destined to come off anyway....

Good that is runs, there's hope for the girl after all! :D
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

someone548

Post by someone548 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:48 am

So, starting to look into rebuilding the carbs. It seems the most popular rebuild kit for these is Randakk's, but holy mother of God is it expensive. Is that really the way to go here? Alternatives? It just seems a bit silly to spend more than half of what I paid for the entire bike for o-rings and the like. I could be off base, but sticker shock seems to sum up how I'm feeling about the thing.

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:50 pm

If you are comfortable with your abilities - then I would possibly look at cleaning the carbs yourself - at least that only costs you the time it takes to pull/clean /reinstall them, but the tank needs some cleaning first by the sound of it, no good in cleaning them and pumping crap back into them..