Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads


Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1032
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:33 am



ekvh wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:56 am
I’ve never looked at the inside of a right angled fill stem, but it looks like the beads could collect in the metal tube portion and create problems as it could use up quite a few beads on that side.

I see Dyna sells a straight valve with a screen/filter on it to prevent this on straight stems.

Anyone run into problems with this? Perhaps the bulge on the inside of the rim is enough to keep them out?
I have metal right angled valve stems on my 1800, and there is zero problems with pushing the Dyna Beads thru the valve stems. I laid the wheel on its' side/counter top with the stem looking up vertical.

Used the bottle and plastic tubing supplied by Dyna Beads and just press/release press/release a few times and the beads just go right in... no trouble at all.

I have not done this yet with the straight rubber valve stems, but can't see why it would not work equally as well with the wheel standing up vertical with the valve stem at the bottom of the wheel.


~John

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19207
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:42 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:33 am
ekvh wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:56 am
I’ve never looked at the inside of a right angled fill stem, but it looks like the beads could collect in the metal tube portion and create problems as it could use up quite a few beads on that side.

I see Dyna sells a straight valve with a screen/filter on it to prevent this on straight stems.

Anyone run into problems with this? Perhaps the bulge on the inside of the rim is enough to keep them out?
I have metal right angled valve stems on my 1800, and there is zero problems with pushing the Dyna Beads thru the valve stems. I laid the wheel on its' side/counter top with the stem looking up vertical.

Used the bottle and plastic tubing supplied by Dyna Beads and just press/release press/release a few times and the beads just go right in... no trouble at all.

I have not done this yet with the straight rubber valve stems, but can't see why it would not work equally as well with the wheel standing up vertical with the valve stem at the bottom of the wheel.
Likewise, I have been using the beads on my 1500 for many years with metal angled valve stems with zero problems.

The filtered valve core is to prevent beads from getting into the valve core and sticking it open. I can't fit the filtered valve core into the angled stem, so I DO have this problem occasionally. The trick is to give a shot of compressed air into the valve before checking it, to ensure there aren't any beads there that might get pushed into the valve when it opens.

User avatar
Rednaxs60
Posts: 1696
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:27 am

Mentioned using beads in my bike tires to a local 4X4 shop owner. He was familiar with this technology and used it himself in his 4X4 monster tires, only thing that would balance this type of tire.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

User avatar
ekvh
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:52 am
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by ekvh » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:56 am

To clarify my question, can the beads travel back into the 90 degree stem and collect enough to cause an issue? Say you parked it with the stem right a bottom center, could the beads go in past the 90 and therefore make it heavier there than the other beads can balance?

I guess as long as there are enough beads it should still balance itself.

This may be worth a shot on my pickup. With E-rated tires they sometimes need a special type of balancing (dynamic balancing?) to remedy a shake at higher speeds. Quite a few Dodge guys claim they have to have thus done.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19207
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:11 am

ekvh wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:56 am
To clarify my question, can the beads travel back into the 90 degree stem and collect enough to cause an issue? Say you parked it with the stem right a bottom center, could the beads go in past the 90 and therefore make it heavier there than the other beads can balance?

I guess as long as there are enough beads it should still balance itself.

This may be worth a shot on my pickup. With E-rated tires they sometimes need a special type of balancing (dynamic balancing?) to remedy a shake at higher speeds. Quite a few Dodge guys claim they have to have thus done.
No, they cannot. The horizontal portion of the step is filled up with the valve core. The beads can (and probably do) collect in part of the vertical portion of the stem, but if they do, there aren't many - and they are more than balanced out by the beads remaining in the tire.

User avatar
seabeechief
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 pm
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by seabeechief » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 pm

I use an electric engraving tool to lay against the valve stem to alleviate the "clumping" of the dyna beads. I have never been dissatisfied with the dyna beads, but I may try the counteract beads next tire change. Or not. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

ELC
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:17 am
Location: Parker, Colorado
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000 Ltd

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by ELC » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Is there a problem using either product with tubed tires? Driving a '78 GL1000.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19207
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:50 pm

ELC wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:25 pm
Is there a problem using either product with tubed tires? Driving a '78 GL1000.
Nope, they advertise that they work great in tubed tires, and I have used them in tubed tires with equal success.

Robbin
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:56 pm
Location: Rockwood, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by Robbin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 am

Hi guys and gals,

I had purchased some 'Counteract' beads for my car, but after researching on their website, I found a warning that they work only on motorcycle and truck tires...because these have a relatively smooth inner surface, whereas car tires generally have a very defined chevron surface on the inside and that this will interfere with the ability of the small glass beads to spread properly and move around as tire wear and tear happens.

Hence, they do not recommend these for car tires.

Just saying...don't get caught uninformed and investigate before you just dump them into your car tires.

Keep the shiny side up!... on the bike that is!

Robbin

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1032
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Robbin wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 am
Hi guys and gals,

I had purchased some 'Counteract' beads for my car, but after researching on their website, I found a warning that they work only on motorcycle and truck tires...because these have a relatively smooth inner surface, whereas car tires generally have a very defined chevron surface on the inside and that this will interfere with the ability of the small glass beads to spread properly and move around as tire wear and tear happens.

Hence, they do not recommend these for car tires.

Just saying...don't get caught uninformed and investigate before you just dump them into your car tires.

Keep the shiny side up!... on the bike that is!

Robbin
Ummmm,
you can forget that old wives tale.
I have a Michelin CT on my bike with Dyna Beads, and it runs smooth as glass.

that is just something someone dreamed up.
~John

Robbin
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:56 pm
Location: Rockwood, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by Robbin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:51 am

Maybe 'Dynabeads' work on cars... but I just visited the 'Counteract' website and they still do not suggest their product for use on cars... so "BUYER BEWARE"!

...however I love them on my wing!

Robbin

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1032
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:01 pm

To get critical about it, it depends on the profile of the tire involved.

Extremely low profile tires that are very wide, have almost no sidewall:
you can't use beads, and that is direct from the Dyna Beads website.
That is because of the width, they must be Dynamically balanced or a "wobble effect" will occur when out of balance.

Taller tires, 60-70 series and taller do very well with beads
I am running the Michelin Alpin PA3 RF ZP 195/55-16 tire with Dyna Beads and that tire does great with Dyna Beads.

To just explicitly say that beads "cannot be used in car tires" is wrong.
~John

Robbin
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:56 pm
Location: Rockwood, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by Robbin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi John,

I am not stating that it is wrong to use them in car tires...I am saying that 'Counteract' (who claim to have invented these) do not promote them for use on car tires and when I asked them why, they told me that the chevron texture interferes with performance.

Hence, I just issued a 'HEADS UP' to everyone to be careful and watch for possible problems.

THAT's ALL.

Good Luck.

Robbin

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1032
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:28 pm

I was not aware that CounterAct was the first manufacturer of balancing beads...
that is interesting, especially as Dyna Beads are the most popular sellers.

I can appreciate that tires that would have a heavy texture could interfere with the beads operation, but, I added extra to my rear tire, used 4 oz just for grins and it worked like a champ for me.

Y'alls MMV :lol:


~John

Post Reply