Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads


Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
echinus1988
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:53 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:50 pm



Ok, I'll just have to look a little more. See if I can find what I need. I'm sure someone has them and if it's in bulk, it's in bulk, I'll figure it out.

Thank you.



User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 2396
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by MikeB » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:07 pm

eBay item number: 323514583087

A quick search of Ebay will be all you need. Just enter Counteract Balancing Beads in the search window.


MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:42 am

I bought my first batch of Dyna Beads from a motorcycle shop down in Jenks, Oklahoma.
that is all they use when they change a tire.

They buy the stuff in big barrels, and scoop you out as much as you want.
I think that I bought a 1/2 lb bag.... I have changed several tires since then....

use a postal scale to make sure you are not "wasting the beads", as in using too much.
there is almost no such thing as "too much" for getting balance, but more than enough is wasteful of your money and product ( the beads )

they actually work better in m/c tires than they do in big truck tires, because big trucks and super low profile car tires, need to be "Dynamically balanced" from side to side. the tread is too flat and wide for beads.

go to the DynaBeads website and read their recommendations for car tires. there is a point where you can't use them anymore ( profile is too low, flat, and wide )

Trucks use the beads in Rings on the "outside of the rim" to control balance, and that works great, especially on dual wheeled truck axles. watch the trailers on the big rigs. the ones that don't have the balancing rings have the wheels hopping up and down enough that the tires leave the ground.
it is cheaper for the truck companies to use the rings, than it is to pull the wheels off and balance them independently which works great today, but when they drag those trailers thru a mud bog, and the mud builds up inside the wheels, and can't be thrown off, the tires go out of balance immediately....
This is where Balance Rings really show their stuff. they compensate for added on mud, or the loss of mud, the tire is always balanced within the capabilities of the Rings overall bead weight.
~John

User avatar
minimac
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 am
Location: Oswego, NY
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by minimac » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:36 am

Here's where I get mine. Great service and good pricing:https://tirebalancebeads.com/buy-beads?olsPage=products

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19984
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:53 pm

echinus1988 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:01 pm
That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Can you put too much in?

I was figuring that you can't but knowing nothing about the dynabeads or anything like that it's hard to figure out. Thank you for the input.

I saw 2 - 2oz bags or counteract beads on Amazon and figure it can't hurt to ask before I buy just in case.

Now, not to stir up a hornet's nest, I have thought about using them in my motorcycle tires but there is a lot of conflicting data out there. Especially, of course, from the shops that mount the tires. I've been told they can cause problems and that they don't really work like they say. If you hit a bump, everything shifts causing momentary instability. So I have held off until I can find more information about them. I think I need to look into them once again and decide if it will be helpful for my GL1800.

Thank you for your help.
I've been using them for many, many years, and a) have never noticed ANY instability when hitting a bump, and b) have never had any problems of any kind. There has been no visible wear, and they balance better than anything else I've ever tried.

I use them in my trailer tires as well, and when I was completely unable to get my Ford Explorer tires to balance no matter what, I gave up and tried putting beads in them instead of wheel weights, and what do you know, they balanced perfectly. So I'm sold!

I've tried both Dyna Beads as well as Counteract beads. The Dyna Beads are little more difficult to put in as they seem to have a lot more static, but they work equally as well.

This is the kit I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Counteract-Motor ... ref=sr_1_3

User avatar
echinus1988
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:53 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by echinus1988 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:32 am

Thank you. That is, as usual, the information I was after. I appreciate your time taken to answer.

I was wondering if it was a ploy to avoid losing business or a legitimate concern. You pretty much answered that for me.

I am going to buy some for both my trailer and my motorcycle and give them a try.

Thanks again for the information!

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:16 pm

Except for the Dyna Beads tendency to be super fine, and wanting to go "every where" if let loose,

Beads are Beads....
any of them will work the same.
~John

User avatar
Oldbear
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Linden, Alberta, Canada
Motorcycle: 1980 Cimatti XL Moped (Reclaimed by nature)
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK (Sold)
1985 Suzuki GS550E (consumed by gremlins)
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
2006 Suzuki C50T

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by Oldbear » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:42 am
I bought my first batch of Dyna Beads from a motorcycle shop down in Jenks, Oklahoma.
that is all they use when they change a tire.

They buy the stuff in big barrels, and scoop you out as much as you want.
I think that I bought a 1/2 lb bag.... I have changed several tires since then....

use a postal scale to make sure you are not "wasting the beads", as in using too much.
there is almost no such thing as "too much" for getting balance, but more than enough is wasteful of your money and product ( the beads )

they actually work better in m/c tires than they do in big truck tires, because big trucks and super low profile car tires, need to be "Dynamically balanced" from side to side. the tread is too flat and wide for beads.

go to the DynaBeads website and read their recommendations for car tires. there is a point where you can't use them anymore ( profile is too low, flat, and wide )

Trucks use the beads in Rings on the "outside of the rim" to control balance, and that works great, especially on dual wheeled truck axles. watch the trailers on the big rigs. the ones that don't have the balancing rings have the wheels hopping up and down enough that the tires leave the ground.
it is cheaper for the truck companies to use the rings, than it is to pull the wheels off and balance them independently which works great today, but when they drag those trailers thru a mud bog, and the mud builds up inside the wheels, and can't be thrown off, the tires go out of balance immediately....
This is where Balance Rings really show their stuff. they compensate for added on mud, or the loss of mud, the tire is always balanced within the capabilities of the Rings overall bead weight.
There are also balance rings for bikes - specifically Goldwings - not my old 83 but 1800s for sure. I prefer the Dynabeads in my truck tires as they handle more of the side-to-side balancing were as the Counteract will shift to one side of a tire and stay there until you slow down or stop. I just finished the car tire experiment and will say that Counteracts made for bad balancing on my 06 Malibu Maxx. I'm a Dynabead fanboy now.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Oldbear wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 pm


There are also balance rings for bikes - specifically Goldwings - not my old 83 but 1800s for sure. I prefer the Dynabeads in my truck tires as they handle more of the side-to-side balancing were as the Counteract will shift to one side of a tire and stay there until you slow down or stop. I just finished the car tire experiment and will say that Counteracts made for bad balancing on my 06 Malibu Maxx. I'm a Dynabead fanboy now.
Interesting.... my Suburban has 10 ply 285 tires on it, when pulling the Toy Hauler I can't tell if a tire is out of balance or not. I had them spin balanced, but I did NOT like the way the guy did it.
He set his machine for "Single Weight" balance only, and stuck the weight on the inside of the tires.

I think that I will add a couple oz of Dyna Beads to them just to keep them in "fine tune"
~John

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 2396
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by MikeB » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:27 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm
I think that I will add a couple oz of Dyna Beads to them just to keep them in "fine tune"
Your truck tires may take a bit more than a couple of ounces. You might take a look at the Dyna Bead site to determine the proper amount of beads based on the tire size. http://innovativebalancing.com/index.php
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:44 am

MikeB wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:27 pm
AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm
I think that I will add a couple oz of Dyna Beads to them just to keep them in "fine tune"
Your truck tires may take a bit more than a couple of ounces. You might take a look at the Dyna Bead site to determine the proper amount of beads based on the tire size. http://innovativebalancing.com/index.php
sorry if I did not make that quite clear.
I am just going to add 2 oz to the existing wheel balance setup.... no point in removing the wheel weights. my version of "tune up" for balance is that he Dyna Beads will take care of mud, etc....
and you are right, 2 oz won't be enough, I will make it 4 oz like I did on the other car tire.
~John

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19984
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:04 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:44 am
MikeB wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:27 pm
AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm
I think that I will add a couple oz of Dyna Beads to them just to keep them in "fine tune"
Your truck tires may take a bit more than a couple of ounces. You might take a look at the Dyna Bead site to determine the proper amount of beads based on the tire size. http://innovativebalancing.com/index.php
sorry if I did not make that quite clear.
I am just going to add 2 oz to the existing wheel balance setup.... no point in removing the wheel weights. my version of "tune up" for balance is that he Dyna Beads will take care of mud, etc....
and you are right, 2 oz won't be enough, I will make it 4 oz like I did on the other car tire.
When I tried "fixing" my Explorer's wheel balance problem, I first started by leaving the wheel weights on, and adding whatever the correct amount of Dyna Beads was for that size tire. I figured "more is better."

That was a mistake. The vibration was so bad that I couldn't drive above about 25 mph.

So with the beads now in the tires, and no easy way of getting them out, I figured I'd try taking the weights off. I marked where they went (so I could put them back if needed), and then pulled them all off of the wheel.

Hey presto, the wheels were now perfectly balanced, with no weights and using only beads.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 2396
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by MikeB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:10 pm

Yes, I remember reading about that issue with your truck tires way back when.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
HyperPete
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:00 am
Location: Lake Meade, PA
Motorcycle: My bikes: 2016 FJR1300AE; 2008 Suzuki M109R; 2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (For Sale) ; 1999 Yamaha VMax; 1982 Honda Goldwing Aspencade (For Sale)

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by HyperPete » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:26 am

I've been using these generic balancing beads for years. They used to be $1.70 / ounce, but they have gone up dramatically to $2.00 / ounce. ;) :D They work perfectly, IMO there is no sense in paying for a brand name.

https://tirebalancebeads.com/buy-beads? ... ingle-bags
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa

User avatar
Rednaxs60
Posts: 1993
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:12 am

HyperPete wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:26 am
I've been using these generic balancing beads for years. They used to be $1.70 / ounce, but they have gone up dramatically to $2.00 / ounce. ;) :D They work perfectly, IMO there is no sense in paying for a brand name.

https://tirebalancebeads.com/buy-beads? ... ingle-bags
Good info. Will be looking into this.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Ballsie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:24 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Motorcycle: 2016 F6B

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by Ballsie » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Folks,
Years ago when at a dealership having a new tire put on a BMW K1200 S. They couldn't balance the rear tire since they didn't have the set up to balance a single swing arm rim.

They had the Dyna Beads on the counter and decided to look into them a little deeper.

I ended up buying 5# of 1.00 mm ceramic polishing spheres which looked to be the exact same.
So now I've been using these for quite a while and now have a life time supply of the porcelain spheres.
Just picked up a F6B and will be putting the beads in the tires in lieu of the weights.

Just an option.

User avatar
HyperPete
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:00 am
Location: Lake Meade, PA
Motorcycle: My bikes: 2016 FJR1300AE; 2008 Suzuki M109R; 2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (For Sale) ; 1999 Yamaha VMax; 1982 Honda Goldwing Aspencade (For Sale)

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by HyperPete » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks for sharing that! I looked online, and the first place I found (https://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/ ... ing-media/) sells a pound for about $40. That comes out to $1.42/ounce, not including any shipping charges.

I guess if I had to use a LOT that it might be worth it. But for the small amount I use, $2.00 / ounce is fine as I need them. I actually bought some extra when it was $1.70/ounce, so I'm good for a few more tire changes.

Good idea, though, thanks for sharing!
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa

Ballsie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:24 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Motorcycle: 2016 F6B

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by Ballsie » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:49 pm

I think I paid about $55 for 5# from McMaster Carr 10+ years ago.

User avatar
HyperPete
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:00 am
Location: Lake Meade, PA
Motorcycle: My bikes: 2016 FJR1300AE; 2008 Suzuki M109R; 2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (For Sale) ; 1999 Yamaha VMax; 1982 Honda Goldwing Aspencade (For Sale)

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by HyperPete » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:42 pm

That's really inexpensive! Nice going!
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa

User avatar
BENJEE2112
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:06 pm
Location: Port Charlotte, Florida
Motorcycle: 1995 1500i INTERSTATE
THE ONE STYLE "WITHOUT" REVERSE ((Danggit))

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by BENJEE2112 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:33 pm

I have an interesting thought (question) about using either of the beads. What about condensation from airing up the tires. I drain my compressor tanks every time I use it. I know there is condensation situation that happens. I'm about to switch out my tires and am here researching the beads.. I noticed that when I saw you change the tire. You didn't care about lining up the mark with the valve stem. I now know why.. I definitely am going with the counteract beads. But wondering about the moisture thing.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 2396
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by MikeB » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:43 pm

You could use nitrogen if it really bothers you. Personally, I have a moisture trap downstream from my compressor prior to the inlet of my air hose. I have not experienced any moisture problems in my tires. I have been using balance beads for about six years.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
BENJEE2112
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:06 pm
Location: Port Charlotte, Florida
Motorcycle: 1995 1500i INTERSTATE
THE ONE STYLE "WITHOUT" REVERSE ((Danggit))

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by BENJEE2112 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:21 pm

Thanks for your fast reply. I've been thinking about putting a moister catcher on my compressor. I never ad air anywhere but my garage. I need to get me one of those things. My solution to that is to use a lighter plug in inflator.no tank to create moisture. But I'll need the compressor to blast the bead.

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:23 am

BENJEE2112 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:21 pm
Thanks for your fast reply. I've been thinking about putting a moister catcher on my compressor. I never ad air anywhere but my garage. I need to get me one of those things. My solution to that is to use a lighter plug in inflator.no tank to create moisture. But I'll need the compressor to blast the bead.

ummmm,
it is not the tank that creates moisture, it the very fact that pumping air into any container, will contain the moisture from the ambient air.

I have the little Slime mini compressor, works great.... but IF it were used enough on the same container, moisture would accumulate in the tire/vessel.

I would hope that if you have a tire that is leaking bad enough to need more air, you would fix it, or replace it.

If it worries you enough, this little inline trap might be helpful

https://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Line-Oil-Wa ... 2707249093
~John

User avatar
Oldbear
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Linden, Alberta, Canada
Motorcycle: 1980 Cimatti XL Moped (Reclaimed by nature)
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK (Sold)
1985 Suzuki GS550E (consumed by gremlins)
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
2006 Suzuki C50T

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by Oldbear » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Most basic air dryers (in-line or better) will take the moisture out enough for safely filling tires and not hurting the balance beads. Princess Auto, TSC or Harbor Freight will have simple wall hang pipe styles that work great and are often around $100 or less. The big air dryers are for those that paint or maybe run a sandblaster with their air setup (both of which require very dry air and consume large volumes - causing the compressor to run lots). I have a water/oil separator mounted at the compressor and use an inline on some of my tools. No issues with clumping yet.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

User avatar
BENJEE2112
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:06 pm
Location: Port Charlotte, Florida
Motorcycle: 1995 1500i INTERSTATE
THE ONE STYLE "WITHOUT" REVERSE ((Danggit))

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by BENJEE2112 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:26 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:23 am
BENJEE2112 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:21 pm
Thanks for your fast reply. I've been thinking about putting a moister catcher on my compressor. I never ad air anywhere but my garage. I need to get me one of those things. My solution to that is to use a lighter plug in inflator.no tank to create moisture. But I'll need the compressor to blast the bead.

ummmm,
it is not the tank that creates moisture, it the very fact that pumping air into any container, will contain the moisture from the ambient air.

I have the little Slime mini compressor, works great.... but IF it were used enough on the same container, moisture would accumulate in the tire/vessel.

I would hope that if you have a tire that is leaking bad enough to need more air, you would fix it, or replace it.

If it worries you enough, this little inline trap might be helpful

https://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Line-Oil-Wa ... 2707249093
Thanks for the info and the link. much apreciated.



Post Reply