Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100 sold, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Re: Dyna Beads vs Counteract Balancing Beads

Post by echinus1988 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:50 pm

Ok, I'll just have to look a little more. See if I can find what I need. I'm sure someone has them and if it's in bulk, it's in bulk, I'll figure it out.

Thank you.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:07 pm

eBay item number: 323514583087

A quick search of Ebay will be all you need. Just enter Counteract Balancing Beads in the search window.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:42 am

I bought my first batch of Dyna Beads from a motorcycle shop down in Jenks, Oklahoma.
that is all they use when they change a tire.

They buy the stuff in big barrels, and scoop you out as much as you want.
I think that I bought a 1/2 lb bag.... I have changed several tires since then....

use a postal scale to make sure you are not "wasting the beads", as in using too much.
there is almost no such thing as "too much" for getting balance, but more than enough is wasteful of your money and product ( the beads )

they actually work better in m/c tires than they do in big truck tires, because big trucks and super low profile car tires, need to be "Dynamically balanced" from side to side. the tread is too flat and wide for beads.

go to the DynaBeads website and read their recommendations for car tires. there is a point where you can't use them anymore ( profile is too low, flat, and wide )

Trucks use the beads in Rings on the "outside of the rim" to control balance, and that works great, especially on dual wheeled truck axles. watch the trailers on the big rigs. the ones that don't have the balancing rings have the wheels hopping up and down enough that the tires leave the ground.
it is cheaper for the truck companies to use the rings, than it is to pull the wheels off and balance them independently which works great today, but when they drag those trailers thru a mud bog, and the mud builds up inside the wheels, and can't be thrown off, the tires go out of balance immediately....
This is where Balance Rings really show their stuff. they compensate for added on mud, or the loss of mud, the tire is always balanced within the capabilities of the Rings overall bead weight.
~John

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:36 am

Here's where I get mine. Great service and good pricing:https://tirebalancebeads.com/buy-beads?olsPage=products

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:53 pm

echinus1988 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:01 pm
That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Can you put too much in?

I was figuring that you can't but knowing nothing about the dynabeads or anything like that it's hard to figure out. Thank you for the input.

I saw 2 - 2oz bags or counteract beads on Amazon and figure it can't hurt to ask before I buy just in case.

Now, not to stir up a hornet's nest, I have thought about using them in my motorcycle tires but there is a lot of conflicting data out there. Especially, of course, from the shops that mount the tires. I've been told they can cause problems and that they don't really work like they say. If you hit a bump, everything shifts causing momentary instability. So I have held off until I can find more information about them. I think I need to look into them once again and decide if it will be helpful for my GL1800.

Thank you for your help.
I've been using them for many, many years, and a) have never noticed ANY instability when hitting a bump, and b) have never had any problems of any kind. There has been no visible wear, and they balance better than anything else I've ever tried.

I use them in my trailer tires as well, and when I was completely unable to get my Ford Explorer tires to balance no matter what, I gave up and tried putting beads in them instead of wheel weights, and what do you know, they balanced perfectly. So I'm sold!

I've tried both Dyna Beads as well as Counteract beads. The Dyna Beads are little more difficult to put in as they seem to have a lot more static, but they work equally as well.

This is the kit I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Counteract-Motor ... ref=sr_1_3

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100 sold, 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Post by echinus1988 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:32 am

Thank you. That is, as usual, the information I was after. I appreciate your time taken to answer.

I was wondering if it was a ploy to avoid losing business or a legitimate concern. You pretty much answered that for me.

I am going to buy some for both my trailer and my motorcycle and give them a try.

Thanks again for the information!

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:16 pm

Except for the Dyna Beads tendency to be super fine, and wanting to go "every where" if let loose,

Beads are Beads....
any of them will work the same.
~John

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by Oldbear » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:42 am
I bought my first batch of Dyna Beads from a motorcycle shop down in Jenks, Oklahoma.
that is all they use when they change a tire.

They buy the stuff in big barrels, and scoop you out as much as you want.
I think that I bought a 1/2 lb bag.... I have changed several tires since then....

use a postal scale to make sure you are not "wasting the beads", as in using too much.
there is almost no such thing as "too much" for getting balance, but more than enough is wasteful of your money and product ( the beads )

they actually work better in m/c tires than they do in big truck tires, because big trucks and super low profile car tires, need to be "Dynamically balanced" from side to side. the tread is too flat and wide for beads.

go to the DynaBeads website and read their recommendations for car tires. there is a point where you can't use them anymore ( profile is too low, flat, and wide )

Trucks use the beads in Rings on the "outside of the rim" to control balance, and that works great, especially on dual wheeled truck axles. watch the trailers on the big rigs. the ones that don't have the balancing rings have the wheels hopping up and down enough that the tires leave the ground.
it is cheaper for the truck companies to use the rings, than it is to pull the wheels off and balance them independently which works great today, but when they drag those trailers thru a mud bog, and the mud builds up inside the wheels, and can't be thrown off, the tires go out of balance immediately....
This is where Balance Rings really show their stuff. they compensate for added on mud, or the loss of mud, the tire is always balanced within the capabilities of the Rings overall bead weight.
There are also balance rings for bikes - specifically Goldwings - not my old 83 but 1800s for sure. I prefer the Dynabeads in my truck tires as they handle more of the side-to-side balancing were as the Counteract will shift to one side of a tire and stay there until you slow down or stop. I just finished the car tire experiment and will say that Counteracts made for bad balancing on my 06 Malibu Maxx. I'm a Dynabead fanboy now.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Oldbear wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 pm

There are also balance rings for bikes - specifically Goldwings - not my old 83 but 1800s for sure. I prefer the Dynabeads in my truck tires as they handle more of the side-to-side balancing were as the Counteract will shift to one side of a tire and stay there until you slow down or stop. I just finished the car tire experiment and will say that Counteracts made for bad balancing on my 06 Malibu Maxx. I'm a Dynabead fanboy now.
Interesting.... my Suburban has 10 ply 285 tires on it, when pulling the Toy Hauler I can't tell if a tire is out of balance or not. I had them spin balanced, but I did NOT like the way the guy did it.
He set his machine for "Single Weight" balance only, and stuck the weight on the inside of the tires.

I think that I will add a couple oz of Dyna Beads to them just to keep them in "fine tune"
~John

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:27 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm
I think that I will add a couple oz of Dyna Beads to them just to keep them in "fine tune"
Your truck tires may take a bit more than a couple of ounces. You might take a look at the Dyna Bead site to determine the proper amount of beads based on the tire size. http://innovativebalancing.com/index.php
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:44 am

MikeB wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:27 pm
AZgl1800 wrote:
Your truck tires may take a bit more than a couple of ounces. You might take a look at the Dyna Bead site to determine the proper amount of beads based on the tire size. http://innovativebalancing.com/index.php
sorry if I did not make that quite clear.
I am just going to add 2 oz to the existing wheel balance setup.... no point in removing the wheel weights. my version of "tune up" for balance is that he Dyna Beads will take care of mud, etc....
and you are right, 2 oz won't be enough, I will make it 4 oz like I did on the other car tire.
~John

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:04 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:44 am
MikeB wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:27 pm
AZgl1800 wrote:
sorry if I did not make that quite clear.
I am just going to add 2 oz to the existing wheel balance setup.... no point in removing the wheel weights. my version of "tune up" for balance is that he Dyna Beads will take care of mud, etc....
and you are right, 2 oz won't be enough, I will make it 4 oz like I did on the other car tire.
When I tried "fixing" my Explorer's wheel balance problem, I first started by leaving the wheel weights on, and adding whatever the correct amount of Dyna Beads was for that size tire. I figured "more is better."

That was a mistake. The vibration was so bad that I couldn't drive above about 25 mph.

So with the beads now in the tires, and no easy way of getting them out, I figured I'd try taking the weights off. I marked where they went (so I could put them back if needed), and then pulled them all off of the wheel.

Hey presto, the wheels were now perfectly balanced, with no weights and using only beads.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:10 pm

Yes, I remember reading about that issue with your truck tires way back when.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA