I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
minimac
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 am
Location: Oswego, NY
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by minimac » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:12 am



I've been curious as how you were liking the Austone. Your experience and thoughts mirror my own. I switched my front tire to a radial when I added the Austone to the rear. Although the Austone works very well with a bias tire, the handling really comes alive when it is matched with a radial front. Again, it took a little fiddling with the pressure to get the front tire right, but when it is....WOW! BTW, I just changed my Austone as it was getting near the wear bars. AT 35,000 MILES.



wildanimal84
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Tompkinsville Ky, U.S.A.
Motorcycle: 1993 Cobalt Blue Goldwing Aspencade
2002 Cobalt Blue Suzuki Intruder 1500 cc

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by wildanimal84 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Dude, I think you are making a mistake, I have rode with other wing riders who have tried the same thing, and their experience was unfavorable, but I also pat you on the back for giving it a try. GOOD LUCK COMPADRE !

User avatar
Rednaxs60
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:58 am

WingAdmin - trust you are still pleased with your going to the darkside. Quick question - balancing. Did you go conventional or use beads, and if so 3 ounces in the rear? Thanks
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 20250
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:02 pm

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:58 am
WingAdmin - trust you are still pleased with your going to the darkside. Quick question - balancing. Did you go conventional or use beads, and if so 3 ounces in the rear? Thanks
Yes, I definitely am pleased with the changeover, to me the pros (incredible traction, tire life) far outweigh the cons (strange handling over pavement drops, "new" turn handling response). Particularly after an hours-long ride in pouring rain, and it was rock solid. Even when TRYING to get it to break free in the wet, it steadfastly refused, whereas my previous tire (Avon Venom) would have been going sideways.

I did use beads, I used *about* 3 oz. I say that because I managed to spill a bunch out of my 3 oz bag, and then used some of the old beads I scooped up out of my old tire as a replacement. That has worked out very well.

User avatar
Rednaxs60
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:50 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:02 pm
Rednaxs60 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:58 am
WingAdmin - trust you are still pleased with your going to the darkside. Quick question - balancing. Did you go conventional or use beads, and if so 3 ounces in the rear? Thanks
Yes, I definitely am pleased with the changeover, to me the pros (incredible traction, tire life) far outweigh the cons (strange handling over pavement drops, "new" turn handling response). Particularly after an hours-long ride in pouring rain, and it was rock solid. Even when TRYING to get it to break free in the wet, it steadfastly refused, whereas my previous tire (Avon Venom) would have been going sideways.

I did use beads, I used *about* 3 oz. I say that because I managed to spill a bunch out of my 3 oz bag, and then used some of the old beads I scooped up out of my old tire as a replacement. That has worked out very well.
Thanks - was going to try the new E4s, but will probably be taking the 1500 on our Alaska trip so thinking the CT will be a better fit for the trip. Thought it would be about 3 ounces of beads, the same as when I had the CT on my ex-1800.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

User avatar
Rednaxs60
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:31 pm

Picked up the Austone tire yesterday in Hawkesbury, Ontario, only place in Canada that I could find. $262.00 CDN taxes in. The gentleman that sold me the tire asked what I was putting it on, mentioned the 1500. He said that he sells a lot of these to GW owners. Nice tread profile and like the rounded versus square profile. Looking forward to installing it.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

User avatar
Corkster52
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:28 am
Location: Naperville, IL
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by Corkster52 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:35 pm

Wow! Now with Scott's endorsement, I am really going to have to consider going dark side when it comes tire replacement time.

User avatar
minimac
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 am
Location: Oswego, NY
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by minimac » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:03 am

As I've posted earlier, I changed out my Austone after 35K miles,close but still not at, the wear bars! One of the main reasons I went to the Austone, instead of a regular CT, was the six ply rating and the stiffer sidewalls. I think that has a huge bearing on what your results are. Because I am considering selling my 1500, I replaced the Austone with a Shinko MC tire. What a huge mistake! I am so used to the Austone and the improved handling, braking, ride, and slightly lower rpms at highway speeds, that I'm having a hard time adapting to the MC tire. Many people run and like the Shinko, so I know it's not the tires' fault, I can't believe the difference.I just bought another Austone and rear wheel which I will be putting on the bike. If I sell the bike, the new owner will have the option of which he /she wants, but in the meantime, it's back to the CT for me.

User avatar
offcenter
Posts: 573
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:10 pm
Location: Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by offcenter » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:37 pm

Darkside Austone update!

Just installed my Austone on my 1500 and took it for the first ride.
It handles and corners GREAT!
But it's rubbing something under the fender when I hit bumps.
I've read of others having this problem, so I kind of expected it.
So far, I can't see where it's rubbing.
Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look?

Lemmee tell ya, that is one scary noise! sounds like the whole
back end of the bike is grinding on something! LOL!!!!!!!
When I put a lot of air in the rear suspension, raising the rear of
the bike, the noise mostly went away. But I have short legs. I can't
ride around with the rear end up like that.
I'd like to find it and quiet it so I can hear my radio again. LOL!!!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

User avatar
Wingsconsin
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:47 pm
Location: Sussex, Wisconsin (West of Milwaukee)
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red
Contact:

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by Wingsconsin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:43 pm

offcenter wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:37 pm
Darkside Austone update!

Just installed my Austone on my 1500 and took it for the first ride.
It handles and corners GREAT!
But it's rubbing something under the fender when I hit bumps.
I've read of others having this problem, so I kind of expected it.
So far, I can't see where it's rubbing.
Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look?

Lemmee tell ya, that is one scary noise! sounds like the whole
back end of the bike is grinding on something! LOL!!!!!!!
When I put a lot of air in the rear suspension, raising the rear of
the bike, the noise mostly went away. But I have short legs. I can't
ride around with the rear end up like that.
I'd like to find it and quiet it so I can hear my radio again. LOL!!!
Check your inner fender in the 'front' or 'top'
The tie is just tall enough to hit - sounds terrible - zip ties will hold it up adn out of the way
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.


Motorcycle Adventure Storys
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Alan_Hepburn
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:56 am
Location: San Jose, Ca, USA
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Mine did that also - I read here that it is the inner fender contacting the tire. I was going to take everything apart again to deal with it, but we were having too much fun riding and I kept putting it off. After a while the noise went away so I figured the tire took care of the interference all by itself!
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 20250
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:02 pm

Mine was rubbing the fender on the top, on the left side. I heated it up with a heat gun a bit, pushed it out slightly, and problem solved.

User avatar
offcenter
Posts: 573
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:10 pm
Location: Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by offcenter » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:17 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:02 pm
Mine was rubbing the fender on the top, on the left side. I heated it up with a heat gun a bit, pushed it out slightly, and problem solved.
Did you have to remove the wheel to do this?
I sure hope not.
If not, where did you access the inner fender from with the heat gun?
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

User avatar
GlimWas
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:31 am
Location: Netherlands
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE Canada Edition, Carbon Candy Blue
2014 NC750X DCT
Contact:

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by GlimWas » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:30 am

It's either the wheel or the complete top including all equipment that is on top of your fender..... I would take the wheel out, less work..... And easier acces!
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

GL1100 '80
GL1200 '87
GL1500 '94

User avatar
DougEFresh1123
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Villa Park, IL
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 GL1500SE

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:56 am

Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:35 pm
Mine did that also - I read here that it is the inner fender contacting the tire. I was going to take everything apart again to deal with it, but we were having too much fun riding and I kept putting it off. After a while the noise went away so I figured the tire took care of the interference all by itself!
As my youngest son would say "It's a self cancelling problem"
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 20250
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:08 pm

offcenter wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:17 pm
WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:02 pm
Mine was rubbing the fender on the top, on the left side. I heated it up with a heat gun a bit, pushed it out slightly, and problem solved.
Did you have to remove the wheel to do this?
I sure hope not.
If not, where did you access the inner fender from with the heat gun?
Nope. I removed the left saddlebag, which only takes a couple minutes, and then the air compressor, which is a couple bolts. That gives enough access to heat it up from the outside, and I reached in and pushed it out from underneath.

User avatar
Aussie81Interstate
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:34 am
Location: Penrith Australia
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: I'm feeling dark... new Austone Taxi Tire

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:03 pm

I have found that with an emergency stop or panic stop - my rear wheel has locked up - moreover because the Valkyrie has enormous brake rotors and pads - plus the rear end is a lot lighter than the normal Goldwing. Have had it skid in a dead straight line - and easily controllable. But still a pucker moment for a few seconds. When someone jumps out across a pedestrian crossing on a push bike without looking at all - gave me a brief moment..



Post Reply