First time posters, say hello!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
J Runge
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100B

Re: First time posters, say hello!

Post by J Runge » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:06 am

Congratulations
It's a good looking bike

GEGGordo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by GEGGordo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Hello new friends! My name 's Gordon, and I'm in Spokane WA. New member and first post. Also new to the Goldwing community. I've owned several motorcycles through the years; Yamaha, BMW, Kawasaki, Suzuki. But this is my first Honda. 1983 GL1100 Interstate. I LOVE this bike! I just finished a few repairs, and it has really improved the bike a lot. I bought it earlier this year with almost 83k on it. I'm fairly sure that I'm the third owner. The forks began to leak within weeks of my purchase, all over the brakes. I removed the forks, replaced all internals, including the springs and bushings. Also redid the TRAC system with every part available from Honda. And, of course, all brake components. After reading posts on this forum concerning cooling, I added an auxiliary fan switch. Replaced the temperature sensor and fan relay switch as well as the thermostat and flushed the coolant. Let me say that these updates have transformed what seemed like a tired bike (in retrospect) into a thoroughly enjoyable mount! I'm so excited for many future miles of enjoyment on her. Thanks for allowing me to extol my fondness for Betty Blue II here on the forum, especially such a long first post.

Regards, Gordon

ibtater
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade 1200 SEI

Post by ibtater » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:29 am

Hi I joined last week I have been using the forum to troubleshoot my recently acquired 1986 Goldwing Aspencade 1200 SEi. When I bought it last week it had a dead battery and I was told by Rose, the owner that it was a running bike when the Sta-bil was added to the gas tank and it was parked under a tarp 4 years ago. The first thing I did was to install a new battery and add some fresh gas, the bike cranked but did not start until I sprayed starting fluid into the intake. It would run but only with the starting fluid as fuel. I read an article that I can no longer find that advised cleaning the points on the fuel pump and it got me to check and see if the fuel pump was coming on at all. It wasn't. After deciding that the points could simply be stuck open after sitting so long I started the bike with starting fluid while having a friend tap lightly on the fuel pump, you might not believe it but that fuel pump started up and the bike started running on its own for the first time in 4 years. It stalled 20 minutes later, I let it "cool down" and re-started it several time over the day And found that it would consistently run for 20 minutes and need to rest at least 1 hour before restarting. So I thought it was over-heating, I drained the radiator and thought I could refill it and flush it using the over-flow tank to refill the radiator. The motor did not pull the water from the over-flow tank as I thought it should and the bike over-heated a bit before I shut it down, In the process of this I realized that the bike had not been over-heating when it stalled after running for 20 minutes. I also learned where the radiator cap is and that if a person is very determined it can be reached without removing the faux tank. I took the fuel filter off and cleaned it thoroughly, when replaced I had the same results.I Siphoned out all of the gas I could and then used the fuel pump to empty the gas tank and added fresh fuel and again I got the same result.When I read the post by HALBUDD that says that if you heard a sucking sound when removing the gas cap the vent is clogged so I checked my gas cap and it allows air in and out freely.I haven't tried seafoam yet and I don't think it will make a difference but I'm going to try it today. I thought I could make it around the block this morning but I only made it from the back yard to the road and it stalled. If anyone reads this and can offer suggestions please reply. I am in Bradenton, Fl. If you happen to know a mechanic here.

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2016 F6B previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I GL1800ABS GL1500CT + many other brands

Post by WINGER3 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi ibtater, you are on the best Goldwing site there is IMHO, I still think you have a gas cap problem and it takes 1 hour to let in enough air to allow the gas to flow, have you run the bike w/out the cap to test it? If the bike still stops @ 20 minutes you might have a fuel pump that is over heating and has to cool off before working again, ck. the pump if the bike stops with the cap off. If the pump is still working and the bike shuts of @ the 20 minute mark every time then I suspect the computer or ignition system is the problem and since I have never worked with the 1985-86 fuel injected bikes I will leave that up to those that have, but the injector system also could be the problem. Best of luck. Bob :mrgreen:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade
2003 HD V-Rod

Post by JohnUSA » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:34 pm

ibtater wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:29 am
Hi I joined last week I have been using the forum to troubleshoot my recently acquired 1986 Goldwing Aspencade 1200 SEi. If anyone reads this and can offer suggestions please reply. I am in Bradenton, Fl. If you happen to know a mechanic here.
Ok, it starts and runs, but then stops consistently at the 20 minute mark, if I understand you correctly. You only made it from the backyard to the road, and then it died. I guess you had it idling for almost twenty minutes?

I'd get a spare spark plug, and then let it idle until it dies. Unplug one of the wires, (say, right front) plug in the spare plug and ground it to engine. Try starting it and see if you get a spark. Then do the right rear plug, and see if you get a spark. That will let you know if the coil packs are working or not after heating up.

Edls
Motorcycle: 96 gl1500 se

Post by Edls » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:35 pm

Thank you all for the informative information, first time poster and hope to enjoy more.... 8-)
Ed
1996 GL 1500 SE
Second generation Gold Winger, second bike.

miner999r
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800A5
2010 HD FLHTCU Stage 2

Post by miner999r » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 pm

Greetings,

On my 2nd Goldwing. I got a good deal on a 2005 with less than 40 K Kms. Enjoy the bike and handles surprisingly well. Only significant issue is that the front end suspension needs a serious upgrade.

Bikes are put away for the winter. Going to attempt to change the air filtre as soon as I work up ambition as well as courage.
Martensville Saskatchewan
2005 GL1800 ABS and 2010 FLHTCU Stage 2

DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:15 am

miner999r wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 pm
Greetings,

On my 2nd Goldwing. I got a good deal on a 2005 with less than 40 K Kms. Enjoy the bike and handles surprisingly well. Only significant issue is that the front end suspension needs a serious upgrade.

Bikes are put away for the winter. Going to attempt to change the air filtre as soon as I work up ambition as well as courage.
Welcome to the group and enjoy the new to you Wing. Check out the "How-to" section of the forum: /How-To-Articles.asp. I'm not a mechanical guy but with these step by step directions with pictures I can do the repairs. I'm in the process of changing my air filter(s); don't forget about the sub filter, fuel filter, cruise element and timing belts.

Doug

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan