Question About Modern Day Camping

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Question About Modern Day Camping

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:46 am

themainviking wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:52 pm
And if you meant just one place, and not an area, I would have to say Goderich, Ontario, where I camped in a marina so I could ride and also sail on Lake Huron. That was a hoot. And Goderich is absolutely beautiful.
I have to agree, Goderich is stunning, and the entire length of highway 21 up the Huron shore is spectacular riding road - I've driven and ridden that road for many, many years. Goderich was hit by a tornado several years back, right in the downtown area, and the damage was devastating, but they have rebuilt it.

Just south of there, Grand Bend is also nice - but I try to avoid it, as it is a crazy party town full of drunken fools. The last time I drove through there, it was 1:00 in the morning, I was a mile south of town, and I came around a curve at around 60 mph - and right there in front of me, in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD, were a bunch of idiot teenagers on skateboards! No lights, no reflective gear, no brains. Blocking both lanes! I nearly hit one of them, and they did not get out of the way - I had to swerve around them. Idiots.

Unfortunately the drunken idiots have also discovered Sauble Beach this past year, and have caused so much mayhem and destruction this summer that they are closing the beach to vehicles and severely restricting what is allowed. The fact that there is now basically zero police presence there (and on the reservation lands, NO police at all, now that the native bands have shut down their police) hasn't helped matters much.

But overall, beautiful roads, beautiful country, beautiful weather.

Goderich after the tornado in 2011:

avantiarj
Motorcycle: 1982 Silver Wing
1998 Goldwing SE

Re: Question About Modern Day Camping

Post by avantiarj » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:23 am

I just did 8400 miles on a trip from Portland Oregon to Portland Maine and a visit to Tennessee thrown in. 22 nights on the road. Of those I camped all but 5 nights. 3 of those I did a motel because of weather 1 and 2 because of full campgrounds or The difference between a motel and camping made the motel a better cheaper alternative. I found the North East around the Major cities nearly impossible to camp and very expensive.