WING DING 2018.

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
POPPY'S WING
Motorcycle: 2012 gl1800

WING DING 2018.

Post by POPPY'S WING » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:32 pm

Hello everyone. Just wandering if anyone is going to Knoxville to the festival.I'm thinking seriously about it. I've never been to one.Thanks for any replies.

JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: WING DING 2018.

Post by JoeHall » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:40 am

I only live about 200 miles from Knoxville, and plan to give it a try. If nothing else, I can just ride back home if its not for me. I have never been much into the social scene with any bike, but enjoyed fellowship with the GWRRA folks out in California, in the late 1990s. Not sure what to expect in Knoxville but, retired recently, I have the extra time. LOL

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:55 pm

I went to Wing Ding the summer after I bought my Goldwing brand new, so it would have been summer 2011. It was before they moved them to a September time table and it was friggin Hot in Knoxville. That said, I enjoyed it thoroughly and think that everyone with a GL1800 should attend at least one Wing Ding. Those with 1500 and earlier may not derive the benefits available as the GL1800 is what most of the vendors at Wing Dings are consumed with. I discovered a lot of things that could be done to a GL1800, and did quite a few of them, which both personalized and improved on the bike as originally purchased. I have not felt the need for another Wing Ding, but do not regret in any way having attended the one I did. I heartily recommend at least one.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

jackjohn
Motorcycle: 1974 CB450 Sold
1975 GL1000 Sold
1982 GL1100I
2004 GL1800A Sold
2012 GL1800

Post by jackjohn » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:37 am

I went to Knoxville with a small group for the week and it was very enjoyable. We rode the Cherahola By-Way on Wednesday and got soaked. On Thursday we went to the trade show in the morning (parked on the sidewalk right outside the Convention Center Doors). As I was shopping for a helmet, I got a list of prices from the vendors that had them. Checked out the other vendors for various things I needed. Since I intended to buy a set of LED headlamps from Electrical Connection to install after I got home, I was delighted that they had a special and installed the low beams for $10 and the high beams for $30 so I let them do the installations and saved my hands. Set up my appointment with EC for Saturday morning so we could get on the road as soon as they finished. I want to thank the Baker Wind Wing folks, for giving me the set of screws needed to reinstall the wing I broke off before the trip. On Friday we returned to the trade show, this time the police had taped off our great sidewalk parking space so we went to the garage. I was able to negotiate a deal with Sierra Electronics for a Shoei Neo-Tec II in Anthracite for $50 off. From there I went to the J&M booth and had them repair the helmet set I had nothing but trouble with on the way to Knoxville, as usual, the very nice folks there took care of my problems for free. Three of the folks in our group had pin stripe/mural paint work done on there bikes while we were there, negotiated very good prices with three different painters, it appeared that negotiation was the key throughout the trade show. We started back to Houston on Saturday, stopping for the night in Jackson MS, got home about 3:00 PM Sunday. All in all, an excellent show with terrific local area rides.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:14 am

Very nice report, jackjohn. Thanks for sharing.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA