Help with helmet headsets, please!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
shadboy
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Help with helmet headsets, please!

Post by shadboy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:25 pm

I have never had any experience with headsets for communicating with the passenger. My Wing is a '99 1500. It has places to plug up wired headsets for the driver and passenger. I would like to know if there are wireless options, if so, what equipment is needed and what products are recommended? If wireless is not an option, which wired headsets are recommended? Thanks in advance!

woodsv
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Vetter dressed
1988 GL1500 Canadian Edition

Re: Help with helmet headsets, please!

Post by woodsv » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 pm

I'm in the same boat so to speak. I've been looking at Bluetooth options as it would seem the intercom on the bike is outdated and very limited. I've seen a lot of seasoned riders on the forum talk about sena but to be honest, with kids and other stuff to fund, they are too pricey for me at this point in life. I've been looking at lexin both the fm capable unit and the previous one to it. biggest complaint it seems with that brand is the ability to talk to you r passenger and the limited range of reception; these are reviews from Amazon, not my opinion. I've been looking at others on Amazon as well but after looking at a bunch of them I'm even more confused as to which way to go.
so I will be keeping an eye on your thread in hopes of getting some info to help me make a decision
hope you get the info you are seeking as well.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 pm

There is nothing wrong with the factory Goldwing 1500 intercom, or the CB, it is the sodding microphones that don't seem to last very long.
I have 5 helmets with headsets, in the past 5 years all have been replaced and 3 have faulty mikes again, not replacing any more.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

woodsv
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Vetter dressed
1988 GL1500 Canadian Edition

Post by woodsv » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:08 pm

I personally don't know or can't speak to wether or not there are any issues with any of the builtin bike intercom systems but for my purposes they seem a bit archaic. with the availability of Bluetooth systems that leave you untethered and with the ability to access all of your audio gadgets a BT system would better suit my needs. now for all I know the bike intercom may in fact have that ability but I haven't had the opportunity to try one out. but I am guessing that the abilities would be quite limited just simply due to the fact that, as for as I understand, the technology came into play 30 odd years ago. but I would like to know for sure because if the bike intercom can be adapted to fit my needs then I would consider tracking down a Mic set just to try it out.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:00 am

For those of us on a fixed income, where "stretching" our $$ is a priority, I found a GREAT solution to the headset/intercom problem. My '91 Interstate did not come with a CB or intercom setup, so I had to find an aftermarket solution.

I got a BT-S2 headset and it has worked out perfect for my needs.

PROS:
* wireless headset/intercom unit mounts onto your helmet simply and was easy to install
* bluetooth capable to easily pair with your cellphone AND another BT-S2 unit
* 1000 meter range capability. (I verified this while riding with another rider, and it worked fine)
* FM radio reception. (decent but not great reception in my area, but better than nothing)
* talking to/with passenger or fellow rider is clear and responsive.
* sleek, waterproof design and large "buttons" for easy activation/control, , , even with gloves on.
* Battery holds a charge of 8+ hours when fully charged. (110/120V charger included in package)
* Price was $29.99 when I purchased it, but I have not checked the price lately. I would guess they are in the $40-$50 range now. Many of the other brand BlueTooth intercom sets are 10 to 20 times more expensive. I bought mine from "Gearbest" and even though I had a good experience, I have read that Gearbest has caused problems for others on this site.

CONS:
* The mic/speakers are not wired so that they can be separated, they fit the helmet fine, but you can't swap out speakers or mic with something different.
* The unit will ONLY pair with two other units at a time, AND you can't talk to both at the same time. You have to "toggle" back & forth, between them for them to hear you.
* Made in China and a 6 week "delivery" time is common due to "customs regulations". This has been a contributing factor for "return policy problems" for some of the folks on this site.

YouTube has a few reviews/comments about this unit. All THINGS CONSIDERED, , , IT IS THE BEST $30 I SPENT ON ANY PIECE OF EQUIPMENT SO FAR

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:30 am

Big Blue UK wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 pm
There is nothing wrong with the factory Goldwing 1500 intercom, or the CB, it is the sodding microphones that don't seem to last very long.
I have 5 helmets with headsets, in the past 5 years all have been replaced and 3 have faulty mikes again, not replacing any more.
I've been using J&M headsets for many years and have never had a microphone go bad on me, ever. That said, I always have full-face helmets, I don't know if the microphones hanging out in the wind on open-face helmets fare worse.

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:08 pm

We've bought 2 sets of the inexpensive Chinese bluetooth systems - battery life was an issue for us: they lasted about 2 hours on the road so I ended up installing some USB ports so we could recharge the units whenever we stopped. But then a bigger issue popped up: the clip that held the unit to the helmet broke on 3 out of the 4 units we had. I tried repairing with various adhesives with no luck. We finally bit the bullet and went to Cycle Gear during one of their sales and bought Bilt modular helmets with built-in Sena systems for $239 each. Battery life is impressive: in standby the battery will last for over a week, and when in use it lasts well over 8 hours. Since it's built in to the helmet there's no plastic clips to break, and the sound quality is great - we can communicate with each other at freeway speeds with no wind noise. We haven't tried pairing with our phones yet, and we don't listen to music when we're riding, but as an intercom system the Bilt helmets work great, and they're very reasonably priced - they were actually cheaper than buying the Sena units separately!
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Alan, , are any of the BT-S2 headsets working well, other than the "clip" broke? I'm interested in getting a "back-up" headset and I'm wondering if we might work out something?

PM me if possible, , , ,

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:03 pm

bluthundr31 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:27 pm
Alan, , are any of the BT-S2 headsets working well, other than the "clip" broke? I'm interested in getting a "back-up" headset and I'm wondering if we might work out something?

PM me if possible, , , ,
PM sent...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Lenkin
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE

Post by Lenkin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:11 pm

Like this?

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:47 pm

****For those with J&M headset microphone issues, I have a solution.****

I, too, had the same problems, kept buying new microphones every year, and often griped about it on this forum.

Someone here (I think it was WingAdmin?) finally suggested spraying a little bit of electrical contact cleaner into the tiny connector where the microphone connects (the one that fits inside the helmet padding).

I decided to try this on my latest microphone which, at the time, was literally failing every other day. I'd been taking the entire system apart, putting it all back together, and sometimes it would work fine again. For a day or two. Or less. Sometimes, not at all.

Finally, I tried the contact cleaner.

Fast forward about 1 1/2 years - microphone has continued to work flawlessly ever since then.

It appears that that teeny, tiny connector has almost microscopic areas for conductivity, and it takes almost no sweat, corrosion, etc. to make it fail. The contact cleaner gets it REALLY clean (spray it in, then connect/disconnect the thing a bunch of times before final reassembly), and it works at least as good as new.

As always, I firmly believe in trying the easy/cheap/free fixes first, before throwing lots of money and work at it! In this case, it WAS the best option.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:30 am
I've been using J&M headsets for many years and have never had a microphone go bad on me, ever. That said, I always have full-face helmets, I don't know if the microphones hanging out in the wind on open-face helmets fare worse.
I will echo WingAdmin's experience with the J&M headsets. I have been using them for over 30 years with zero problems with the microphones. I did have some problems with a couple of them breaking where they clamp to the helmet but J&M replaced the broken pieces, no questions asked. Mine are the ones that attach to an open face helmet too so I guess hanging out in the wind is not a problem either.
I have recently acquired a Sena wireless headset which I really like a lot. It connects to my phone easily and communications are clear. People I talk to on the phone do not even know I am riding down the highway. I have the Sena SMH5 unit which does not have the built in radio which I did not need or want. If I want music, I play it through my smartphone. Intercom communications are good for about 1/4 mile with this unit which is about as far away as I ever am from a riding buddy. If we get separated any further than that and I need to find him, then the cell phone is just a button away.