New headlight?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
johnWK
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Cafe Project

New headlight?

Post by johnWK » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:40 am

So the other night after work I went out to start the bike. Key in, flipped the switch, pressed the starter. Engine didn't even attempt to crank, and the oil/neutral lights died. Left her alone for about 5 minutes, tried again and she started right up. Not the first time this has happened, and I had been attributing it to the fact I didn't take the best care of the battery over the hit or miss riding during the winter.

This time, however, my low beam also seems to be out. High beam functions just fine, but there isn't even a shred of light when on low.

Opinions on potential issues? I had been considering changing over to LED's soon anyway, and probably replacing the battery for good measure. Just curious as to if yall had any potential quick fixes to this relatively minor issue before I go out and spend the money on a new headlight and battery.

Thanks.

memento mori

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: New headlight?

Post by DenverWinger » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:46 am

That sounds to me like corrosion and/or loose connections on the battery terminals. Wouldn't have anything to do with the low beam out but could cause your intermittent no-start.

Corrosion on battery terminals acts like an insulator, much of the surface on your battery lead terminal insulated from the battery post by corrosion, with a small area of the surface making electrical contact.

Weak connection passes enough current to light the idiot lights, but hit the starter and the current burns thru the connected surface and the idiot lights go out. Wait a while and the chemical action restores another weak connection, maybe enough to start the bike, or maybe power goes out again.

Clean your battery connections real good. Pay attention to where the ends are crimped on the wires, corrosion can occur inside the crimp. Also check where the other ends of the cables attach, the hot one on the Start relay and the Neg cable where it attaches to bike frame.
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

johnWK
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Cafe Project

Re: New headlight?

Post by johnWK » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Right you are. Went out after I posted last night and sure enough there was a little rust on one of the terminals, and it was fairly loose. Took care of both issues, so hopefully that clears that up. Looking like it's still time to replace my headlight, though.

Any recommendations for a good, easy LED conversion?
memento mori