Front brake issues

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
SlightlyJason
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda GoldWing Gl1000

Front brake issues

Post by SlightlyJason » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:47 pm

So i got in a wreck, messed up the front end. Replaced the front forks, triple tree, front fender. go to put the brakes on and they are locked up. I tried bleeding them to no luck. Brake fluid does come out when i open the bleeder, so its not the master cylinder or the brake lines ( i think) Any help? 1979 Gl 1000

rudolphwolven
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 K1

Re: Front brake issues

Post by rudolphwolven » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:32 pm

I once had the same..............on my 1975 GL1000 K1.........via internet I found a cure..
Looking down on the mastercilinder bottom (cup and cap unscrewed) somewhere you can find a very, very tiny hole (is a channel / approx less than 100 micron) in this bottom.........not easy to find.
This hole was blocked by tiny particles in the brake oil.........normally after a brake the pressure in the brake system gets released through this tiny channel.
After removal of the dirt everything worked fine again.
Good luck, regards,
Ruud
Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016--Image

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:53 pm

rudolphwolven wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:32 pm
I once had the same..............on my 1975 GL1000 K1.........via internet I found a cure..
Looking down on the mastercilinder bottom (cup and cap unscrewed) somewhere you can find a very, very tiny hole (is a channel / approx less than 100 micron) in this bottom.........not easy to find.
This hole was blocked by tiny particles in the brake oil.........normally after a brake the pressure in the brake system gets released through this tiny channel.
Good luck, regards,
Ruud
There's a fairly easy way to determine if this is the problem. Loosen the banjo bolt on the caliper. If the brakes let go, then it's possible this is your problem. If the brake remains locked on, then it is definitely not this return port that is the problem.

SlightlyJason
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda GoldWing Gl1000

Post by SlightlyJason » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:35 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:53 pm
rudolphwolven wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:32 pm
Good luck, regards,
Ruud
There's a fairly easy way to determine if this is the problem. Loosen the banjo bolt on the caliper. If the brakes let go, then it's possible this is your problem. If the brake remains locked on, then it is definitely not this return port that is the problem.
They didn't open up, I rebuilt the calipers, cleaned them all out, and redid the entire process and they worked. Was able to take her for a ride tonight. Now i need a new battery and change the fuses.. Which im not sure where those are. Time for some research.