head set connection

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
steppin stone
Motorcycle: 1986 goldwing 1200 Aspencade

head set connection

Post by steppin stone » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:03 pm

Hello ok so I was looking around the bike checking things out (snooping around ). I was checking charging system over making sure all was good (need new battery).. under the left hand storage box on fairing I found a bunch of speaker wire all knotted up as I was cleaning the mess. It ends up coming into the stereo system through a little junction box which I assume is for the head set? If it's for the head set how does it hook up? Searching the web the cables for the head set is a (5) prong cable which this is not, this is a (1) prong if you call it that all most like ear bud connector but one is a little larger then the other. Any help to try to clarify this would be great .

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: head set connection

Post by SilverDave » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Depending on your radio, some people wire into the stereo directly for phones and MP3 players :
see here:
viewtopic.php?t=15837

I did this , successfully , with my old GL1200 RM 1100 radio. Sadly, the radio died inside a year .
My new-to-me radio is a 1400A panasonic and has a different circuit board . Heavy sigh !!

In any case the wire from such a connection is a standard minijack for connecting to most MP3 players. so it may be for external audio ... or it may be for earbud speakers.
Tap with a wet finger tip with radio on and on tape to test for " Input" clicks .
Put a voltmeter on it, with radio on high volume to test for "output"

I prefer the standard helmet inside RM speakers, on a 5 pin Honda jack. Putting earbuds in and out would be a pain !!

SilverDave

steppin stone
Motorcycle: 1986 goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Re: head set connection

Post by steppin stone » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:52 am

Well I ended up taking it out what ever it was, it was factory installed into the stereo. My middle son had given me a small devise called (simple tranzit blu) that I am going to put into the stereo system. It is for wireless bluetooth that connect's android smart phones & tablet's we'll see how that goes...