Darksider Wannabe

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Darksider Wannabe

Post by JoeHall » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 am

I guess, technically, I am still a wannabe, but am inching toward the darkside. I began with lots of reading about darksiding a GW, and continue to climb a learning curve. I had previously ordered a pair of t-stems from Cyclemax, and this morning ordered a rear rim off fleabay. So now just need a rear tire, then will have gathered all the necessary components. The learning curve climb will likely go on indefinitely though.

I already have a HF tire changer, and over the years have used it in the past to dismount/mount several mt and ct. Not sure about mounting a ct with it, especially a run-flat, with extra stiff walls. Guess I am gonna find out before long.

Ct options for run-flat are limited, and only available in 55 series for the GL1800. In addition to run-flat, I want a symmetrical ct, so am leaning toward a Yoko Avid Envigor ZPS in 195/55 size. If I decide to forego the benefits of run-flat, and instead raise the bike a bit for easier on/off the center-stand, I am leaning toward a Kumho ESTCA PA-31, in 195/60. The small drop in RPM with a 60 series tire would be a good thing also. (With the SpeedoDRD installed, I can dial the speedo in for any tire I choose.) I also read the 60 series provides just a tad softer ride. Hmm, just need to make up my mind, but at least I am down to tire selection now. Still, technically a darksider wannabe though. LOL

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Re: Darksider Wannabe

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:44 pm

If you decide on the Kumho, let me know - I've got an unused one in my garage that I need to sell. I bought it for my GL1500 but then decided to go with the Austone tire. I'd like to get around $75 for it, plus shipping but I'll listen to any reasonable offer.
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade SEI 1200
2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:15 pm

The Yokohama is a great tire, used and recommended by many. Another tire to look at is the Pirelli P1. For a non run flat, I currently run a Hankook Optimo H426 and it rides very well, although I'm looking at both the aforementioned run flats since we're getting ready for some long trips. For your 1800, you'll need a 195/55-16. Good luck in your search.

JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by JoeHall » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Thanks Mountain Rider,
I believe there is a Hankook Optimo available in RF, size 195/55/16. How well do you like your Hankook NRF? I have ran the Optimo on a couple of cars, and liked them. That may be apples to oranges though.
Joe H

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade SEI 1200
2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:57 pm

My Hankook is actually a good tire. I'm looking to go to the run flat for two reasons, 1 we're planning a longer trip soon and would rather not have to be stuck in the wilds of the North West. 2, I found it gives me a little wiggle when I lay the bike over in the Twisties. It's not life altering, but I know it's there, so I look for it. It's annoying. Others may not even notice it. Myself, I'm going to give the Pirelli P1 a try. I like the rounder profile and feel it will give me a better feel through the curves.

That said, the run flat Hankook is probably a very good tire, and the price doesn't look to bad. Good Luck.