Motor seized

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bigguy
Motorcycle: 1982 Aspencade

Motor seized

Post by bigguy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:08 pm

I bought a parts bike for my 82 Aspencade. This bike was left outside for a number of years. I tried to start it and it just clicked on the starter. I took the starter off and was going to replace it but when I bench tested it, it was fine. Also, when I backed the starter out of the hole, about a liter of oil came out. Could the motor be seized after sitting outsid all these years?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Motor seized

Post by virgilmobile » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:26 pm

Sure.
Pull the oil drain plug and see what comes out...If oil came out of the starter hole I'll bet the bottom end is filled with gas or water.
Be prepared..there's gonna be a lot coming out too...A couple gallons wouldn't surprise me.
Even this may not be a deal breaker...further inspection is in order..Pull all 4 spark plugs too...may have water in one of them...Soaking with ATF can free a stuck cylinder.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:34 pm

it can sit outside for 30 years with the plugs out, and you can still recover it.

My brother did just that to a Chevy 350 V8 with the intake manifold removed.
it sat under the drain spout to his race car shop for right at 30 years, considered to be useless as it did not make 1,000 hp when the pulled it from some rich kid's truck.

times change, the oil industry hits the tubes, customers died out, and money quit coming in, and he had to sell his good car to pay the utility bills, he still needs casual transportation, as the big 4 door dually to pull his race car trailer gobbled gas like you know what.

so, he had an '69 Impala stuffed in the weeds out back, no engine. he pulled that 350 V8 into the shop, filled it up with WD-40 a day or two, then some of the Knock' her loose stuff, and then some ATF for a few weeks.

Every day, he would put the breaker bar on the crankshaft and take a 2 lb ball peen hammer and go knock knock, and leave it alone....

well, one day, it turned loose and rolled over, all the way around.
he stuck a starter on it and hooked up a big battery and let her spin until the starter started to get hot. more ATF, more starter, and then he put it all together, dropped it into the car, and drove it like he stole it for several years.
~John

bigguy

Post by bigguy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:59 pm

virgilmobile wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:26 pm
Sure.
Pull the oil drain plug and see what comes out...If oil came out of the starter hole I'll bet the bottom end is filled with gas or water.
Be prepared..there's gonna be a lot coming out too...A couple gallons wouldn't surprise me.
Even this may not be a deal breaker...further inspection is in order..Pull all 4 spark plugs too...may have water in one of them...Soaking with ATF can free a stuck cylinder.
Thanks, sounds about right. The motor was maybe hydrolocked and wouldn't crank. Thanks for the imput

someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Post by someone548 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:57 am

So, Just a week or so ago, I was in the exact same position as you. Locked up motor, clicking starter. Pulled the starter and about a quart of oil and bad gas came out. I then pulled the plugs and soaked the cylinders in PB blaster and WD-40 for about a week. Then, I removed the cover for the crank bolt on the back of the engine. Wouldn't turn. I then put it in gear and rocked it back and forth and tried again. It came loose. I've since had the bike running. Engine sounding good. Just needs carb rebuild and a clean tank now.

bigguy

Post by bigguy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:10 am

|Thanks, worth a shot