Rivco Sidestand Pad


Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
gypsy traveler
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:59 am
Location: juneau wi
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing se was totalled by a drunk driver while parked, now a 96 se same paint scheme...prev 46 other bikes---am looking for a tw 200 yamaha for a 2nd bike...
Contact:

Re: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Post by gypsy traveler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:04 am



l stopped at RIVCO [Burlington WI] in August of 18...l was told that they no longer had the stand pads for the 1500...l mentioned to the lady that there were more 1500s on the road than other gwings and she told me that ''those gwing owners weren't interested in buying new products for their old bikes'' l was disappointed and somehow felt insulted! ...ln her defense, she did check in the production area and was told that there was none to be had!...HAS THE SEARCH FOR THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR WON AGAIN? :(



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19695
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:37 am

gypsy traveler wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:04 am
l stopped at RIVCO [Burlington WI] in August of 18...l was told that they no longer had the stand pads for the 1500...l mentioned to the lady that there were more 1500s on the road than other gwings and she told me that ''those gwing owners weren't interested in buying new products for their old bikes'' l was disappointed and somehow felt insulted! ...ln her defense, she did check in the production area and was told that there was none to be had!...HAS THE SEARCH FOR THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR WON AGAIN? :(
Rivco stopped making them for the GL1500 some time ago. However...

Cyclemax contacted them and placed an order for a few hundred, so they did a special production run just for them. So if you want a Rivco pad for the GL1500, Cyclemax is your only option:

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/1500_s ... _pad/57412

EagleTodd
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 am
Location: Ft. Myers Beach, Florida
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing Titanium
2010 Goldwing Black

Re: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Post by EagleTodd » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Anyone have any trouble with that 1/4" added height? There have been times I have parked on a slight angle and worry about the bike tipping over. Any I have a stock sidestand - no mod yet. I have moved the bike to find a flatter surface or pumped up the rear suspension so the bike leaned more and was less prone to tipping over. I normally run my rear suspension around 11-12 as the wife says the ride is the most comfortable there.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19695
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:54 pm

EagleTodd wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:12 pm
Anyone have any trouble with that 1/4" added height? There have been times I have parked on a slight angle and worry about the bike tipping over. Any I have a stock sidestand - no mod yet. I have moved the bike to find a flatter surface or pumped up the rear suspension so the bike leaned more and was less prone to tipping over. I normally run my rear suspension around 11-12 as the wife says the ride is the most comfortable there.
Not that I ever noticed, but I do have relatively fresh 416 Progressive shocks in my bike, and keep them pumped up to around 30.

Since I put the Austone tire on, which is a bit taller, it definitely has no problems.

Uncle Werner
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:29 pm
Location: Penticton BC
Motorcycle: 1985 Interstate and using my older 1984 Aspencade bike for parts

Re: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Post by Uncle Werner » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:23 pm

themainviking wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:00 pm
For any Canadians who would like one of these for their GL1800, Amazon.ca just put up a less costly supplier of same. Now $39.19 plus $16 shipping in CDN dollars from a company in Arizona called Lytle Racing.

I ordered mine. This is a lot better than the $125 and $185 ones they list from a different supplier.

I tried to put a link in here, but the site kept translating amazon.ca to amazon.com. On Amazon.ca search for GL18013
Sorry I don't buy and totally ignore Amazon.ca . I can order cheaper from the states including shipping than buying from that site.

Uncle Werner
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:29 pm
Location: Penticton BC
Motorcycle: 1985 Interstate and using my older 1984 Aspencade bike for parts

Re: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Post by Uncle Werner » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:54 pm

Its not too often where I need to worry about the bike stand sinking and need to weld, glue or bolt on an expensive toe. I bought a 6"x 4" plastic plate for the toe to sit on that was designed for bike stands and the toe sat in the middle. To make my life easier I glued a super magnet ( one can use a different magnet) from a computer hard drive on the plastic plate and got a telescoping magnet for picking up nuts and bolts or tools dropped where your hands can't get at them. This way you don't have to get off your bike to pick your plate up and the plate and fold up telescoping handle can be put away in your compartment under the fake tank cover. Also bikes lack space i bought the fold up magnet telescoping handle with a LED light, no need for a flash light taking up rare space. Way way cheaper than what I have read here. JB welding that small plate was a good Idea and cheap. I would rather keep my collector plate bike without any custom modification if possible.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19695
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:42 am

Uncle Werner wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:54 pm
Its not too often where I need to worry about the bike stand sinking and need to weld, glue or bolt on an expensive toe. I bought a 6"x 4" plastic plate for the toe to sit on that was designed for bike stands and the toe sat in the middle. To make my life easier I glued a super magnet ( one can use a different magnet) from a computer hard drive on the plastic plate and got a telescoping magnet for picking up nuts and bolts or tools dropped where your hands can't get at them. This way you don't have to get off your bike to pick your plate up and the plate and fold up telescoping handle can be put away in your compartment under the fake tank cover. Also bikes lack space i bought the fold up magnet telescoping handle with a LED light, no need for a flash light taking up rare space. Way way cheaper than what I have read here. JB welding that small plate was a good Idea and cheap. I would rather keep my collector plate bike without any custom modification if possible.
That's pretty much what I used to do as well...but you have to know in advance (and REMEMBER) that you need to use it. Now I don't have to remember, or even think about it.

User avatar
dtrider
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:44 am
Location: Meridian, Id
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Re: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Post by dtrider » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:37 pm

I've had one of these Rivco pads on my 'Wing for a couple years now. I guess we tend to go to a lot of areas where while the roads are paved most of the parking isn't. Having that wide pad on the sidestand has been great.

However one side effect is that I tend to do more scraping in the curves than I used to. Part of that is probably due to the fact that I also have a set of Kury floorboards, so that probably keeps the sidestand from coming up as far as it would without it. I may have to get a new one before too much longer since I've ground the current one down almost all the way to the original sidestand.

/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

User avatar
quasi2008
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:18 pm
Location: morgantown wv
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I INTERSTATE

Re: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Post by quasi2008 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:28 pm

I always kept a smashed pop can on the bike. worked fine.
man can't live on air alone!

User avatar
CrystalPistol
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 pm
Location: Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Post by CrystalPistol » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:23 pm

I cut a "pad" from 1/2" plywood, drilled hole, cut "ditch" or wide groove from hole to nearest edge on bottom side, tie 4 feet long piece polyethalene pink cord with it pulled tight in that groove, loop at other end, drop it, hold cord, foot scoots it under sidestand, loop placed around clutch lever area. When leaving, lift up by straddling bike, pick up foot by pulling cord, wrap foot with cord and place in left pocket, kick sidestand up, ride.

I can likewise, put bike on centerstand, tilt away, and slide it under on side of centerstand if parked sideways on slight grade.
Image

Uncle Werner
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:29 pm
Location: Penticton BC
Motorcycle: 1985 Interstate and using my older 1984 Aspencade bike for parts

Re: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Post by Uncle Werner » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:19 pm

CrystalPistol wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:23 pm
I cut a "pad" from 1/2" plywood, drilled hole, cut "ditch" or wide groove from hole to nearest edge on bottom side, tie 4 feet long piece polyethalene pink cord with it pulled tight in that groove, loop at other end, drop it, hold cord, foot scoots it under sidestand, loop placed around clutch lever area. When leaving, lift up by straddling bike, pick up foot by pulling cord, wrap foot with cord and place in left pocket, kick sidestand up, ride.

I can likewise, put bike on centerstand, tilt away, and slide it under on side of centerstand if parked sideways on slight grade.
Oh come on. :) wouldn't you rather spend some hard earned money on something more expensive. What are people to think, a block of wood with a coloured cord. Seriously, that's cheaper than mine. Than again it does the job. I'll take the money saved and buy two tanks of gas.

User avatar
CrystalPistol
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 pm
Location: Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: Rivco Sidestand Pad

Post by CrystalPistol » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Uncle Werner wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:19 pm


Oh come on. :) wouldn't you rather spend some hard earned money on something more expensive. What are people to think, a block of wood with a coloured cord. Seriously, that's cheaper than mine. Than again it does the job. I'll take the money saved and buy two tanks of gas.
Haha … it has great value though. the bright cord looped over the clutch lever makes it unlikely for me to forget it. I did polyurethane the wood … to protect it.

Now you got me to thinking, could plate bottom side with a piece of aluminum.


Image

Post Reply