First ride with the wife, broke down 5 miles from home

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: First ride with the wife, broke down 5 miles from home

Post by NOVAwing » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Update:

No burnt wires or smell that I can see or smell.

Pulled the fuel line off the fuel pump, crank the bike with a battery, nothing comes out of the fuel pump hard line.

Which of the the 3 wires on the pump do i need to jump to the battery to check the pump for failure?
See pic and tell me what color is red and what color is ground, please.

This comfirms it. 2 issues at the same time.

Dead battery, plus dead fuel pump.
How is that possible?

What does the ecu need to see to send power to the pump?

If you say ignition from the sensors on the crank with the timing belt, I bet im f#*@ked.....

Thanks,
NOVAwing
Attachments

Last edited by NOVAwing on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:55 pm

Update:

This is looking really bad now.....

Jumped fuel pump to battery. It works fine.....

Also wont start when i jump pump to power, and crank bike, just cranks and cranks.....

So this means ecu is not sending signal to pump...
Why? What is the next item to check?

Thanks,
NOVAwing
NOVAwing

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:40 pm

SOLVED!

On a whim i decided to check that 2 wire kill switch.

Sure enough loose wire!!!! And worn out switch. One of the embeded threaded bolts is in to far and barely makes contact with the bar that completes the circiut!

Stretched out the springs some and sanded the bar and the tops of the bolts best i could, very tiny!

Works fine now but if i push the switch down at all it breaks the curcuit and bike cuts off.

Gonna order a new switch if available?

Thanks, this forum RULES!
NOVAwing
NOVAwing

SG_Jay
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by SG_Jay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Check for spark. You could crank non-stop for 7 years and get nothing without spark.

Edit: You beat me to it. Way to go, glad you got it figured out. But not as glad as you are probably.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:06 pm

NOVAwing wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:40 pm
SOLVED!

On a whim i decided to check that 2 wire kill switch.

Sure enough loose wire!!!! And worn out switch. One of the embeded threaded bolts is in to far and barely makes contact with the bar that completes the circiut!

Stretched out the springs some and sanded the bar and the tops of the bolts best i could, very tiny!

Works fine now but if i push the switch down at all it breaks the curcuit and bike cuts off.

Gonna order a new switch if available?

Thanks, this forum RULES!
NOVAwing
So. Any idea about the "smoke" ?

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Yes I am THRILLED!

However the switch went from fine to shot real fast somehow.

Saturday I did ride about 1 mile down a gravel road to my RC airfield club to say hi to the guys flying cause I havent flown much at all this year due to working on this bike all my spare time lol.

Maybe the vibration pissed off some things, like this switch lol.

Even after I took it apart and tweaked it quickly (getting dark here) if I touch it slightly the bike cuts out. Unreliable. Hopefully I can order a new one with out costing to much?

Worse case I may have to add solder or something to the tiny bolt head to raise it back up so it stays in contact with the bar that completes the circuit. Or some other work around......?

The smoke? Who knows...I'm fairly certain the collector? Is rusted and leaking exhaust. Obviously the bike cutting out in gear caused fuel disruption, maybe it did sputter and in the chaos I didnt recall it, unburnt fuel etc could have caused it I don't know.......?

Still have an issue with the battery being dead so quickly......

While running, no jumper cables, I see 13.4 to 14.19 volts at idle which lopes from 850ish rpm to 1100ish rpm.

Ok according to earlier post by mikeb (thank you) my voltage while running seems correct.

So why did my battery crap out so fast? I guess in the panick I may have cranked it 3-6 times by the time i was stopped on the road side.

Maybe the battery went bad? I may take it back to batteries plus for testing...

Man, so many things on this bike that could go wrong...I may never be able to trust it for long distance rides. Maybe I should have saved up for a much newer bike. Unless I rebuild this whole thing, which I would rather avoid lol.

Thanks,
NOVAwing
NOVAwing

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:48 pm

You might want to add "Aspencade" to your profile, so we know what you're driving in the future.
Good news, bad news on the kill switch replacement. The switch is still available, that's good. You have to buy the whole assembly to get the switch, not so good. That part is #4 in the diagram. It goes for about $95 + shipping. I really don't think that's a bad price for the whole assembly. But it's too bad the individual switches aren't sold separately. Same on the other side of the handlebars.
Regarding the battery. It doesn't take a whole lot of cranking to deplete a battery pretty well. Especially if yours is not an AGM battery. I don't recall if you specified. If it is not, it would be worth your while to get an AGM battery. They are a much more robust design, and well suited for the Goldwing.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... witch-a-se

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:08 am

Everett Powersports sells handlebar switch assemblies on ebay for about $125 or so. I replaced my good right side switch assembly while troubleshooting an intermittent no start issue which turned out to be the neutral switch, thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41328

PM me if you're interested in my used one and we can chat.
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 24,532 miles and counting as of Oct 17, 2018!

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:35 am

Thanks for the links and the help everyone!

Can't thank this site operator and members enough! We couldn't keep riding without you all contributing.

For now, I have hot wired the 2 wires by bolting them together to 1 post in the switch.
Works fine, key now does everything.

Rode to work with a nice smile on my face today :D

I will eventually order the whole assembly from partzilla it looks like. But its back burner for now. Next on my list is timing belt and plugs!

Also updated my profile to show Aspencade now ;)

Thanks,
NOVAwing
NOVAwing

SG_Jay

Post by SG_Jay » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 am

Nice, now get those timing belts changed so you don't have to worry about them anymore. Lol

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:57 pm

If it was my bike I would leave the two wires on the kill switch connected permanently. I have been riding motorcycles for nearly 45 years and have never used the kill switch... at least not intentionally! I have accidentally moved it to the off position a few times and had a few minutes trying to figure out what happened that my bike suddenly won't start.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:06 pm

bellboy40 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:57 pm
If it was my bike I would leave the two wires on the kill switch connected permanently. I have been riding motorcycles for nearly 45 years and have never used the kill switch... at least not intentionally! I have accidentally moved it to the off position a few times and had a few minutes trying to figure out what happened that my bike suddenly won't start.
Same here.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

SG_Jay

Post by SG_Jay » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Ditto that. I never touch my kill switch either

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:12 pm

Yea good advice gang. I am going to leave it hot wired for now. Eventually I will order the assembly. Maybe next spring or something, just so it's "fixed" even if I leave it hot wired.

Thanks,
NOVAwing
NOVAwing

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:56 pm
Just a follow up regarding jumping your bike battery from a running car or truck. Came across this on another forum.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/?#/topics/66329219
a shame that link is broken, but I can vouch that you do NOT want the starting vehicle's engine running.
there will be a War of the Charging Systems, and the Bike will loose badly....
~John

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:23 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Just a follow up regarding jumping your bike battery from a running car or truck. Came across this on another forum.

Thanks for the link.
That is very interesting. I have jumped the bike several times from my running truck battery, which btw is a weak reman battery that needs to be replaced lol.

Still no issues, rode the bike today, everything still works. Could care less about the radio anyway, plan to replace it all eventuallly.

Not sure why some bikes would do this. I have jumped plenty of bikes with no issues. I would only worry if using a huge hd diesel truck battery or a 2 battery hd setup. Regular car/light truck batteries are fine imo.

I will pull and recharge my battery. Bike does not seem to be able to give it more then a 1 day charge and I'm not able to a do a long ride to see if that helps.

Even though im getting 13.4-14.19 volts while running, I am only doing short rides once or twice a day of under 1 hour.

Will report back after reinstall and drive for awhile. Also need to look into a dvm display.

Ps. Link works fine for me.

Thanks,
NOVAwing
NOVAwing

Bluewaterhooker0

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:17 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:21 pm
Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:

a shame that link is broken, but I can vouch that you do NOT want the starting vehicle's engine running.
there will be a War of the Charging Systems, and the Bike will loose badly....
I re-posted a new link for that topic. It was broken for me as well. I did that from a mobile phone, and was having issues getting it posted. The new link should be good.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:46 am

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2- ... -fuse.html
Followed this good link, and the term "amperage" was used to explain why the radio was blown.
Sorry, but Amps is capacity and has zero effect on blowing out a radio.

What happened was the voltage surge created by jump starting from another battery/vehicle.
Jumper cables are notorious for not making a good connection, sparks cause voltage transients, and those transients only need about 1/2 second to blow sensitive electronic components.

I like to use the helper vehicle to "charge the battery", then remove the jumper cables and let the bike's battery do the work. that will prevent the over-voltage conditions that blow up sensitive components.
~John

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:59 am

NOVAwing, there is one test of your battery that you have not posted. Have you checked it after you have cranked a short time with a no start? That is the indicator of the health of your battery and is called a load test. It will show how well the battery holds the charge that it has. If it is in the 11-12 volt range, the battery is likely bad. From your previous posts of the battery only cranking for 5 or 6 times and then pooping out, I would suspect this to be the case. Just a thought.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey