Crater Lake Oregon in late August

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
coke43
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800

Crater Lake Oregon in late August

Post by coke43 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:52 am

This year's big trip is centered around Crater Lake and the Oregon coast then the Columbia Gorge the last week of August. I see online there are no close places to stay available at Crater Lake, any insight on non-mainstream (online) accommodations? Also, any specific favorite spots along the coast? And last, favorite spots at the gorge? I'm taking 4 days to get from Ohio to Eureka Ca., :arrow: no time for much sightseeing on the way :( . 2 days in California, 6 days in Oregon then head for home. Looks like a month would not be enough time but all we have is a week.
I certainly covet any and all facts and opinions :D
Eric

James 1:2-3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

GWHondaHog
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Goldwing

Re: Crater Lake Oregon in late August

Post by GWHondaHog » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Check around Diamond Lake ; there are a few choices that are reasonable. Busy time of yr so resv. advised. Not far from Crater Lake.[check MapQuest for choices] NOTE: Take plenty of insect repellent (mosquitoes) with lots of Deets - top of Crater Lake is lousy with mosquitoes. Multnomha Falls a must see in the Gorge. Hood River for Oregon wine. You can't help but enjoy your trip!

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:34 am

I have lived in this area for the last 35 years. You are trying to take in to much territory in a short period of time. Many miles inbetween the areas you are talking about. All you are going to be doing is riding. Many miles of twisty roads in the mountains, slow going. With as few days as you have concentrate on an area. Do some research on your selected area. Just so you know the Oregon coast is ZOO during the summer. Unless you like walking up and down a tourist trap main street looking in all the shops. You can also expect overcast drizzle and mist in the morning clearing out by noon if your lucky. Check the forest fire reports as we seem to be burning Oregon to the ground this year.

Check out this app. iOverlander.com it's an app for travelers that add locations to the map where they have stayed. I have found some pretty interesting places using it. Get it at the google play store. It works with android or I-phone.
Also by the end of August there should not be much of an insect problem around crater lake. I have never even seen a mosquito there.
If you go to Crater lake take the boat tour out to Wizard Island and Phantom Island. Also do a ride through the Pinnacles area.

If you do go over to the coast and head north check out the Fire House restaurant in Florence and get a Bowl of there LOADED CLAM CHOWDER, 10 bucks , best you will ever have.

OH, if you go north stay away from Portland at all cost. They have sections of the freeway shut down all summer for repair as well as a couple of off ramps and on ramps. You will sit traffic jams longer then the normal 3 or 4 hrs. I'm not kidding !

coke43
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800

Post by coke43 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks for all the info. I think we are finding places to stay.
Ravyn, I understand it's too much in a short time but this is our one chance there. I'll definitely check for construction and forest fires, I really want to avoid both of them. I'm not much for seafood, but i'll probably have to try the clam chowder.

James 1:2-3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.