Crater Lake Oregon in late August

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
coke43
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800

Crater Lake Oregon in late August

Post by coke43 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:52 am

This year's big trip is centered around Crater Lake and the Oregon coast then the Columbia Gorge the last week of August. I see online there are no close places to stay available at Crater Lake, any insight on non-mainstream (online) accommodations? Also, any specific favorite spots along the coast? And last, favorite spots at the gorge? I'm taking 4 days to get from Ohio to Eureka Ca., :arrow: no time for much sightseeing on the way :( . 2 days in California, 6 days in Oregon then head for home. Looks like a month would not be enough time but all we have is a week.
I certainly covet any and all facts and opinions :D
Eric

James 1:2-3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

GWHondaHog
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Goldwing

Re: Crater Lake Oregon in late August

Post by GWHondaHog » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Check around Diamond Lake ; there are a few choices that are reasonable. Busy time of yr so resv. advised. Not far from Crater Lake.[check MapQuest for choices] NOTE: Take plenty of insect repellent (mosquitoes) with lots of Deets - top of Crater Lake is lousy with mosquitoes. Multnomha Falls a must see in the Gorge. Hood River for Oregon wine. You can't help but enjoy your trip!

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:34 am

I have lived in this area for the last 35 years. You are trying to take in to much territory in a short period of time. Many miles inbetween the areas you are talking about. All you are going to be doing is riding. Many miles of twisty roads in the mountains, slow going. With as few days as you have concentrate on an area. Do some research on your selected area. Just so you know the Oregon coast is ZOO during the summer. Unless you like walking up and down a tourist trap main street looking in all the shops. You can also expect overcast drizzle and mist in the morning clearing out by noon if your lucky. Check the forest fire reports as we seem to be burning Oregon to the ground this year.

Check out this app. iOverlander.com it's an app for travelers that add locations to the map where they have stayed. I have found some pretty interesting places using it. Get it at the google play store. It works with android or I-phone.
Also by the end of August there should not be much of an insect problem around crater lake. I have never even seen a mosquito there.
If you go to Crater lake take the boat tour out to Wizard Island and Phantom Island. Also do a ride through the Pinnacles area.

If you do go over to the coast and head north check out the Fire House restaurant in Florence and get a Bowl of there LOADED CLAM CHOWDER, 10 bucks , best you will ever have.

OH, if you go north stay away from Portland at all cost. They have sections of the freeway shut down all summer for repair as well as a couple of off ramps and on ramps. You will sit traffic jams longer then the normal 3 or 4 hrs. I'm not kidding !

coke43

Post by coke43 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks for all the info. I think we are finding places to stay.
Ravyn, I understand it's too much in a short time but this is our one chance there. I'll definitely check for construction and forest fires, I really want to avoid both of them. I'm not much for seafood, but i'll probably have to try the clam chowder.
James 1:2-3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:35 am

coke43 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:52 am
This year's big trip is centered around Crater Lake and the Oregon coast then the Columbia Gorge the last week of August. I see online there are no close places to stay available at Crater Lake, any insight on non-mainstream (online) accommodations? Also, any specific favorite spots along the coast? And last, favorite spots at the gorge? I'm taking 4 days to get from Ohio to Eureka Ca., :arrow: no time for much sightseeing on the way :( . 2 days in California, 6 days in Oregon then head for home. Looks like a month would not be enough time but all we have is a week.
I certainly covet any and all facts and opinions :D
Eric
Hi Eric. I failed to mention any places for you to stop and check out on you drive north on the coast highway. I can do that for you if you still plan on the coast hiway. Do you have route laid out ? How are you getting from Eureka Ca. to Crater Lake? You will be back tracking a bunch to the east and then from Crater Lake back to the west. I can help with a route if you would like me to do that unless you have it planned already.

I just got back from a 3 day trip to the coast. My average moving speed was 40.2 miles per hy and this includes the faster hiways to get to the coast. "No freeways." My average overall speed which includes stops along the way was 24.4 miles per hr. The coast hiway has a speed limit of 55 miles per hr. but you will almost never be able to do that except in a few places. Speeds are from 25 miles per hr. on up in the corners and many 35 to 40 miles per hr corners and lots of sight seers. You can expect a little less traffic late in August as school is back in session.
The congestion in a few cities will be really bad though. Reedsport will not be to bad. Florence will not be to bad, Yachats will not be to bad, Waldport will not be to bad, Newport will be an absolute ZOO, it could take yo some time getting through. Depoe Bay can be really bad but it is not a long stretched out city, stop and take a look at the "BLOW HOLE along the ocean shore if the tides are coming in and the waves are big. And for gods sake don't climb down there to take a closer look unless you want a first hand look at Daveys locker....:-)
Lincoln City can be so bad you will wonder why you chose the coast highway, Tillamook can also be bad, now you should be ok traffic wise until you get to Seaside, can be bad, bad, bad, Big tourist trap to close to portland. After that you will be in Astoria.

If you still plan on going to the Gorge to see waterfalls I could suggest a route for you to get around the Portland ****. You will spend hours trying to just get through Portland with all the over population and the construction shutting down sections of the freeway.

What time of August will you be in the Astoria area or somewhere around there? I am leaving here for a 1 or 2 month trip back to Wis. around the end of August and then heading southwest toward Texas and the across the country and northwest to home. I could meet up with you somewhere and help you get around the area and on your way to the gorge. Please check on the forest fires in the gorge as we seem to be burning Oregon to ground this year. So far the month of July has been the hottest on record and with no rain.

I don't know if you have been this way or not but I know Ohio has a lot of straight flat roads and I think you are going to be in for surprise at how slow a go it is in the mountains unless you have been here before. Can you say up hill, down hill, left. right, left, right, hehehe :-)
Also there will be no cell service in most of the mountains except around some of the small towns. Even the I-5 freeway has places where there is no cell service.
If you want me to just shut up and mind my own business just say so. hahahaha :-0

GWHondaHog
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by GWHondaHog » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:04 pm

Eric,
Sounds like you've got a pretty full plate for the time you have available. But just in case, you mentioned you're not much on seafood & there's a Oyster Festival in Arcata some time in the summer. Fun. Since you're from Ohio - if you're an aviation enthusiast - (ie: Orville & Wilbur) there is the Evergreen Av & Space museum with the "Spruce Goose" in McMinnville, OR - it's at least an afternoon to tour; if you do do the Oregon Coast Hwy - Tillomook Cheese has great fresh ice cream & cheese concession; Ravyn is correct thought about the traffic up the OC Hwy - especially in summers & wk-ends. It is a beautiful scenic coast, however. Ravyn also offered good advice on bypassing PDX traffic; it's the worst! I'll be heading southbound on Oregon I-5 from Roseburg to Canyonville on Aug 22 in the a.m. ; honk & wave if you happen to be thru there then . Hope you have a great & memorable trip.

Hal

coke43

Post by coke43 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:02 am

I am so thankful for your input. I've been trying to watch the fire reports, knowing we may have to rearrange our route as needed. I have attached the projected plan, what do you see that we should do differently? My wife is all about waterfalls, and the such.
Looks like the record high temperatures are finally dropping back down, would you guess 60's along the coast and 80's inland? Packing is premium :roll:
We will be leaving Eureka on Sunday Aug. 26th and my wife flies out of PDX Saturday Sep. 1st.
Attachments

Ravyn

Post by Ravyn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:33 am

coke43 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:02 am
I am so thankful for your input. I've been trying to watch the fire reports, knowing we may have to rearrange our route as needed. I have attached the projected plan, what do you see that we should do differently? My wife is all about waterfalls, and the such.
Looks like the record high temperatures are finally dropping back down, would you guess 60's along the coast and 80's inland? Packing is premium :roll:
We will be leaving Eureka on Sunday Aug. 26th and my wife flies out of PDX Saturday Sep. 1st.
Greg, I am going to PM you my phone number. I think it would be best to talk to you. You have a good route picked out but I can not see the small connector roads. There was a wildfire at silver falls but I think it was put out but you should check on it.
If August is typical then yes 60s or so at night and 70s during the day. Maybe mist and clouds in the morning burning off somewhere around 11 or 12 clock. Once over the coastal mountain range and into the valley you can expect temps to be somewhere around the 90s or so. It has been very hot and dry this summer. We had a short break in the temps and now they are going back up into the 90s again.
I did not know your wife was flying out of PDX. you will be stuck in some horrendous traffic. What time is her flight? Are you camping or motel-ing? I may be able to help you with your route to miss some of the traffic, maybe ?????