Ultimate motorcycle seat

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
ironman218
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing 1500 SE

Ultimate motorcycle seat

Post by ironman218 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:21 am

I am looking to replace my stock seat with an Ultimate seat. I own a '94 1500 with a Lehman trike conversion. I noticed the Corbin and Ultimate seats are about the same price but was wondering about how they compare when it comes to riding comfort. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Ultimate motorcycle seat

Post by themainviking » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:18 am

Corbins are really hard, and Ultimates are well cushioned. Some people find the hard Corbin to be the be all and end all of seats, but I could not sit on one for any length of time. I love the Ultimate seat I put on my GL1800, but others have disliked them. They are very different seats and probably the two most expensive ones on the market. If you can find people with them on their bikes and sit on them for a couple of hours, it might help you to not make an expensive mistake.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:01 am

themainviking wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:18 am
Corbins are really hard, and Ultimates are well cushioned. Some people find the hard Corbin to be the be all and end all of seats, but I could not sit on one for any length of time. I love the Ultimate seat I put on my GL1800, but others have disliked them. They are very different seats and probably the two most expensive ones on the market. If you can find people with them on their bikes and sit on them for a couple of hours, it might help you to not make an expensive mistake.
I'm one of those people. :)

My GL1500 came with a Corbin seat, and when I first sat on it, I thought; "oh man, THAT is going to have to go!" Like you said, it's hard.

But then I rode more and more on it, and noticed something - I was comfortable, and able to ride for a really long time without getting sore.

Riding down to Florida, 21 hours straight, I was tired - but not sore. I'd buy another Corbin in an instant. In fact, I have, for other bikes.

ironman218
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing 1500 SE

Post by ironman218 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. I think I'll try the sitting test on a Ultimate seat first then find a Corbin. All I know is the stock seat has to go. Thanks again

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 pm

themainviking wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:18 am
Corbins are really hard, and Ultimates are well cushioned. Some people find the hard Corbin to be the be all and end all of seats, … etc …
:roll: :) :hand raised: :!: :arrow:

I've tried several others, always came back to Corbin. Tossed a high dollar seat from a place in eastern Tenn. into a dumpster... that thing was as bad as any torture devised. I think I did same with OEM GL1200 some years ago.

Sure, they have less padding, but they are shaped right and don't rely on stuffings to fill in voids. Shaped right spreads load over all of buttocks. I have one on my GL1200A since the '90s, and it still sits / looks like new. I also have one on the trike now (but I kept the like new OEM 1500 seat with Utopia BR as it's not as bad as some) …
WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:01 am

Riding down to Florida, 21 hours straight, I was tired - but not sore. I'd buy another Corbin in an instant. In fact, I have, for other bikes.
I don't care if it's a trike or bike, 21 hours will work you. Trikes are hard to steer through bumps wiytout rocking.... and bikes … well your legs and back do a lot of work …

fibersport
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500
2002 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe

Post by fibersport » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:02 pm

I'm another Corbin fan. My 1500 came with one and I thought it was too big and too hard at first. I even picked up a stock seat and put it on, the stock seat was sweaty even in the fall and was uncomfortable because it was soft and squishy. I did some reading on the Corbin about the height and the firmness, if you're on the shorter side, you need to slide forward when coming to a stop. I recently adjusted my handlebars to drop them a bit, and now the seat feels even better. I find I sit back further which makes me feel more in control of the bike. It's been in the 90's lately and while you do sweat a little, the leather seems to help breath a bit. My commute is 45 minutes each way and I know I couldn't do it with a stock seat. I'm sold on the Corbin.