Bike dies twice

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
tbeiler
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo
wanted badly CBX 79-82

Bike dies twice

Post by tbeiler » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:57 pm

About a month ago, I had a great ride down to Port Dover. It was stinking hot and a very humid day. Coming home and within a few kms of the house, the bike dies electrically, everything goes off, I pull the clutch, when I let it go the bike starts and runs again. I go another 100 feet, the bike dies again, this time I coast into a parking lot and try to assess the situation.
I check the main fuse, but its tight and not broken, the battery terminals are also tight. No more than a few minutes later, I put the key in and the bike starts and runs good. I ride home without issue. Next day, I exchange the old blade fuse with the new unused one, I cleaned the battery terminals, and also checked the battery, but it is fully charged, so I don't believe the stator is kaput. I hardwired the 3 yellow wires and removed the connector years ago.
I also removed the negative ground wire and give it a good cleaning and reassembled. Its been a month at least since this happened, but I have to admit every time I go out, which has been almost every day since, I'm thinking to myself, is the bike going to quit on me again when I'm furthest from home and on a lonely country road in the middle of nowhere.
The battery has been no issue, it is still fully charged, so I don't think the stator is my issue.
The bike runs great by the way.
Any advice on what else I could have a look at.
Electrics is not my strong suit, but with some guidance, I can manage.
Thanks in advance.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Bike dies twice

Post by DenverWinger » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:12 pm

What's the condition of the holder for that blade fuse you replaced? Any corrosion in the contacts?
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

tbeiler
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo
wanted badly CBX 79-82

Post by tbeiler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:59 am

Contacts are clean but I haven't yet put dielectric grease in there. Will do that before I ride next.
Even the negative ground wire didn't cause me any concern. Mild corrosion, but I still cleaned it up with some fine sandpaper.
Also did the same with the battery terminals and the battery connectors.
Is there a test for the starter solenoid.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:22 pm

I had my Wing do THAT, a year after I had replaced the dogbone with a blade fuse in marine holder .
From your desc ( everything dead ) , its the battery, or ground, or Blade master fuse . ( From Zen and the art of MM )

In my case, sitting helplessly at the side of the road , the fuse looked fine, but after 5 minutes, I pulled it .
One foot was sooty black, one foot really clean . I put in a new fuse, and carried on.

My Electrical friend called it " Direct Voltage induced reverse electro-deposition " - caused by " dissimilar metals in the blade fuse foot and in the holder " .
Hmm...
. I bought a marine holder so there would be NO moisture in there ... heavy sigh !!

In your case , check the battery terminals ( done) and voltage , the ground ( done ) and the resistance ( with fuse ) and voltage drop (no fuse ) across the blade fuse holder terminals .

One could use a thin coffee stir stick , wrapped in fine sandpaper to try to clean the inside of the holder, .... Probably won't work.

.... or as I did .. if that is truly the problem ( in my case it was ... black fuse foot ?? Really ?? )
I bought TWO new marine blade fuse holders .. One I put on immediately , and other stored in glove box for future breakdowns.

The iffy holder got chucked.

Ride safe

SilverDave

tbeiler
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo
wanted badly CBX 79-82

Post by tbeiler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:20 pm

What resistance (with fuse) should I be looking for across terminals? With key on or does it matter?
What voltage drop do I look for (without fuse) across terminals?
I'm assuming this will tell me if the starter solenoid is good?

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:50 am

These were just a test for corroded fuse blades, not for the starter relay...

From eyelet to eyelet or from screw to screw, with fuse in , key off, the fuse holder, and fuse should read close to 0 ohms.

With key on, fuse out , there should be a clear 13 volts drop across this fuse holder.

See manual for a test of the relay..

Ride safe
SilverDave .

tbeiler
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo
wanted badly CBX 79-82

Post by tbeiler » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks Dave, will check it out.