H4 LED replacement bulb


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
SnoBrdr
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: H4 LED replacement bulb

Post by SnoBrdr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:21 pm



DaveO430 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:09 pm
SnoBrdr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:00 pm




A standard GL 1000 headlight DOES NOT TAKE a bulb of any kind.

It is totally a sealed beam.
If yours is a sealed beam it is not the original headlight.
I bought the bike brand new, original headlight still installed.

Maybe in the UK they had bulbs, not here.



DaveO430
Posts: 1049
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: H4 LED replacement bulb

Post by DaveO430 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:28 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:21 pm


If yours is a sealed beam it is not the original headlight.
I bought the bike brand new, original headlight still installed.


[/quote]

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... /headlight

User avatar
SnoBrdr
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: H4 LED replacement bulb

Post by SnoBrdr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:44 pm

DaveO430 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:28 pm
SnoBrdr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:21 pm


If yours is a sealed beam it is not the original headlight.
I bought the bike brand new, original headlight still installed.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... /headlight
[/quote]

Don't care what it shows.

The US models were sealed beam.

I wish they were not as I wanted to go LED myself but could not do it as it is a sealed beam unit.

DaveO430
Posts: 1049
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: H4 LED replacement bulb

Post by DaveO430 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:46 am

SnoBrdr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:44 pm


Don't care what it shows.

The US models were sealed beam.

I wish they were not as I wanted to go LED myself but could not do it as it is a sealed beam unit.
I didn't get that from a foreign web site. Find for me anywhere that shows a sealed beam headlight.

User avatar
SnoBrdr
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: H4 LED replacement bulb

Post by SnoBrdr » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:51 am

DaveO430 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:46 am
SnoBrdr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:44 pm


Don't care what it shows.

The US models were sealed beam.

I wish they were not as I wanted to go LED myself but could not do it as it is a sealed beam unit.
I didn't get that from a foreign web site. Find for me anywhere that shows a sealed beam headlight.
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-gl1000-usa_ ... /0068.html



Like I said earlier, pointless.

DaveO430
Posts: 1049
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: H4 LED replacement bulb

Post by DaveO430 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:08 am

SnoBrdr wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:51 am
DaveO430 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:46 am
SnoBrdr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:44 pm


Don't care what it shows.

The US models were sealed beam.

I wish they were not as I wanted to go LED myself but could not do it as it is a sealed beam unit.
I didn't get that from a foreign web site. Find for me anywhere that shows a sealed beam headlight.
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-gl1000-usa_ ... /0068.html



Like I said earlier, pointless.
That is Canadian and aftermarket.

User avatar
SnoBrdr
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: H4 LED replacement bulb

Post by SnoBrdr » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:13 am

DaveO430 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:08 am
SnoBrdr wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:51 am
DaveO430 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:46 am


I didn't get that from a foreign web site. Find for me anywhere that shows a sealed beam headlight.
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-gl1000-usa_ ... /0068.html



Like I said earlier, pointless.
That is Canadian and aftermarket.
You really need to do a rectal cranial inversion.

You win, no point telling a donkey not to run into traffic.

Check other forums, you'll get the same answer I gave you.

DaveO430
Posts: 1049
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: H4 LED replacement bulb

Post by DaveO430 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:47 pm

If you can't win the argument throw insults, works every time.

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 3509
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: H4 LED replacement bulb

Post by dingdong » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:07 am

From the OEM Honda manual:

Headlight bulb replacement.

Remove the three lamp mounting screws from the headlight case. pull the lamp assembly from the headlight case and remove the socket from the bulb. Unfasten the bulb retaining clip and remove the bulb.

Reads like a a replacement bulb to me. My 76 is not sealed either.
Tom

John F. Kennedy would be impeached by todays liberal Democratic socialist party.

User avatar
Maz
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Kent, UK
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: H4 LED replacement bulb

Post by Maz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:34 pm

Just playing devils advocate here, but is it possible that different States used different lamps (ie California models had bulbs and others had sealed beam)? Not much help but in the UK we only had H4 bulbs.
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

DaveO430
Posts: 1049
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: H4 LED replacement bulb

Post by DaveO430 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Maz wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:34 pm
Just playing devils advocate here, but is it possible that different States used different lamps (ie California models had bulbs and others had sealed beam)? Not much help but in the UK we only had H4 bulbs.
Maz
None of the (US) Honda online dealer web sites I use show a sealed beam. My 76 has a sealed beam, I put it in there.

User avatar
redbug
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:22 am
Location: Broken Arrow,Ok
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Re: H4 LED replacement bulb

Post by redbug » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:57 pm

In the 1976 gl1000 parts manual located right here on this site it list 3 different lamps in use on the bikes. The bulbs in use are by Honda area codes. A is US,CM is Canada etc. Each area code has there range of frame and engine serial numbers.So maybe on the outside not enough sales in other country's and high sales in the US, some of those bikes came here instead. Only one out of the three lamps, has the removable bulb. Plus a list of serial numbers of carburetors and you can see if you have a 100% number matching bike. Area codes ED,F,G,K2-E have the removable bulb. The manual also shows flat rate times for different procedures on the bike such as engine removal. Interesting stuff.


" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Post Reply