Rear noise when brake isn't engaged

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
wandosspeed
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Rear noise when brake isn't engaged

Post by wandosspeed » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:57 am

Hello all, I have a 86 GL1200 and the odometer says 57 k but I'm fairly certain it's 157. I've put about 6k on it since I've had it. It makes a slight rubbing and multiple clanking sounds from the rear left side of the bike. I've taken it to two mechanics and neither have heard it somehow!!! I tried to explain that it can be heard when the bike is under 30 mph and you are off the gas. Doesn't matter if you are in gear or not but when the brake is activated it stops. Not sure if related but on occasion a almost honking sound happens under the bike when I push the rear brake.

The last mechanic said my rear rotor is thin and could be replaced and both mechanics said that the brake pads aren't in contact with the rotor when the bike is parked. This bike gets the wiggles a little bit still sometimes but not all, even with the steering bearings replaced when I first got it after a scary tank slapping incident that almost caused a wipeout going 70.

I know there is something wrong. Side note, I also hear an occasional whizzing sound coming from the right rear. That sound will happen even when the break is engaged.

Please help me with any thoughts your great minds have!

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: Rear noise when brake isn't engaged

Post by CrystalPistol » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:45 am

The rear brake is on the left, likely rear brake pads rattling around in caliper, maybe anti rattle clip(s) is missing since last brake job.

That wobble, near tank slapper, was it after taking hands off hand grips?

wandosspeed
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Re: Rear noise when brake isn't engaged

Post by wandosspeed » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:45 am

Nope, it was after going over one of the little gaps when they lay the road. That's mostly gone away but I still feel the bike want to wiggle a little in my hands with both hands on the grips.