Possible u-joint problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
gmonty
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Possible u-joint problem

Post by gmonty » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:36 pm

I was riding my '85 Aspy about a month ago when I noticed a knocking noise coming from the right side of the bike. Not knowing what it was I parked the bike and had to come back and get it the next day(I didn't think night riding with a possible failure in the near future was the best idea). Anyways I got it home and have taken it for a few test rides. It knocks only when in gear. I thought it was the differential at first but after running it in gear on the center stand with the wheel both on and off I think the issue is something else. Just a side note, the rattle is much worse when I put the bike in gear with the tire off. Also note that the knock is in every gear and gets louder the higher I go through the gears. My research through the forums has led me to the hypothesis that the u-joint is going bad. I have pulled the boot back and looked at it. I saw nothing that would make me think it is the problem though. Any thoughts?

gmonty
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Possible u-joint problem

Post by gmonty » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:39 pm

To add to this, my bike just cranked over 18,000 miles. It is in very good condition. I also do not think it is an engine issue because when it is in neutral I can rev to the red line with full throttle and hear no knocks.