Painted or Vinyl Wrapped?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Uptwobucks
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing 1800GL

Painted or Vinyl Wrapped?

Post by Uptwobucks » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:27 pm

I am in the process of having my Trike and trailer vinyl wrapped. Have you ever made such a crazy decision? That’s me, I’m known to go off on the wild side. Why I make these crazy decisions I’ll never know. After tossing around the idea and the cost of each, I decided to try the wrap. Liquid copper is the color. I am told since my ride is garage kept it should last up to 7 years. My current color is below. I will post a pic of the results after completion sometime next week. If you have tried the vinyl wrap, please comment.

This is the new color but not the company doing the wrap.

Attachments

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Painted or Vinyl Wrapped?

Post by redial » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:34 pm

I would paint it ! Like the man says, even if it is garaged it will last 7 years. How long does the paint last? Mine is 21 years young and it still does not need re-painting.

That vinyl fades and looks tatty when it ages.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Uptwobucks
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing 1800GL

Post by Uptwobucks » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:52 pm

You are correct, paint does last longer. If I were to disassemble, paint then reassemble the cost was 5k plus. However, I like color change every now and then. So I figured I could do two wraps 5 to 7 years apart, hopefully giving me 10 - 14 yrs for less money. I did question the durability of the product and was offered a guarantee of 5yrs. I was told the vinyl can be washed, and waxed just like paint. They did say 7 to 10 years depending on my maintenance and care, but I always go with the lesser number. But I agree with you paint would last longer.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:11 pm

My Wing is Beige, it blends in most backgrounds, especially concrete. :shock:
I'm kicking around the idea of a vinyl wrap.
Now & then I'll wear Mossy Oak shirt and/or pants, so why not go the full boat and do up the bike & trailer. If there's a minor tear the paints base color of Beige has that pretty much covered. When I Boon-dock camp, who's to know. ;)

JOKINGLY when I wear my camo riding, "They can't hit what they can't see".

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.