At what point?????

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Wink1018
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

At what point?????

Post by Wink1018 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:21 pm

OK folks. I am beyond upset with myself at the moment. I thought I got a decent deal on a 1986 GL1200I that was only “requiring minor work”.

I was able to dig into the bike a little bit today. I was initially told that the start solenoid was bad. So I pulled the left side cover off and had a look. The connector to the solenoid was not connected. And rightly so..... the plastic is melted around the two red wires. That is red flag 1.

A little broader search found my eyes peering at what I found to be the stator wires. Three wires forward of the battery are completely burned. Previous owner had them taped together and not secured at all. Red flag #2.

Other than that, the radiator has a hole due to corrosion in it. Some fuses are missing. The air filter housing is missing parts. And whoever wired in an aftermarket radio, did so on a 5th grade level of install.

I guess I have to figure out if this bike is worth the time and resources to make it road worthy again.

As it sits, I’m looking at a complete stator to R/R replacement. Main electrical power parts replacement. Front tire replace and fork seal repair. Plastic repair of the faring panels. Radiator replacement. Turn signal relay module. And what other issues I haven’t run into yet.

Am I going to be wasting money and time? Or can I still salvage this investment?

Matt

1986 Honda GL1200I Goldwing Interstate
1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
1993 Suzuki VS1400GLP Intruder
2001 SVX650 V-Star Custom

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: At what point?????

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:48 pm

you didn't say how much you paid for that bike, but in the condition you have reported, it is worth about $500 as a parts bike. If the plastics are in really good condition, then fix it up.

I'm not familiar with replacement radiators.

Here is a start, one of the new design FET voltage regulators, energy efficient, cost effective, and will preserve the life of the stator.

https://www.electrosport.com/products/e ... -1100-1200

on the stator that is in the bike, isolate the 3 yellow wires, label them 'A', 'B', 'C'

then clip an A/C voltmeter between A&B with engine running at 3,000 RPM.
you should see 50 VAC between any two of the 3 windings. hopefully yours is not toast, just has the burned yellow wires.

this stator has some good reports on it, as having not needing to be replaced once installed. Provided all other things are in order.

https://www.electrosport.com/products/e ... 0-goldwing
~John

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Salvage yards

http://www.midscyclesalvage.com/

this one I know personally, good place to deal with.
http://www.bobusedmotorcycleparts.com/

this one is a catch 22, you have to look and look.

http://www.ridesafely.com/minventory.as ... OTORCYCLES
~John

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:03 pm

this might be to far away from you, but look at what you can get for cheap.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mpo/d/ ... 24153.html

mostly in great shape, between this one, and yours, you have a good bike.

uh, just noticed it is an '83 which is an 1100, but you need to be on the look out for salvage type bikes for parts.

this link will show you all of the bikes within 300 miles of you

https://www.searchtempest.com/search?lo ... A%28mcy%29
~John

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Post by DaveO430 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Wink1018 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:21 pm

I was able to dig into the bike a little bit today. I was initially told that the start solenoid was bad. So I pulled the left side cover off and had a look. The connector to the solenoid was not connected. And rightly so..... the plastic is melted around the two red wires. That is red flag 1.

A little broader search found my eyes peering at what I found to be the stator wires. Three wires forward of the battery are completely burned. Previous owner had them taped together and not secured at all. Red flag #2.
Those things are fairly common. For the solenoid wiring take the 2 red wires, solder them together with one end of a heavy gauge blade fuse holder, 30 amp, and attach the other end of the fuse to the battery + with a good soldered on terminal.
The burned stator wires does not mean the stator is bad, test it first, if it tests good solder the wires. You may have to add some 12ga wire.

Wink1018

Post by Wink1018 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Right now I am only $700 invested in the purchase of the bike. Add the state tax for the title transfer, and I’m in for just short of $1000.

The body isn’t in the best of shape. However, I have definately seen worse. My next step is to pull the carbs, plugs, and change the oil. I want to find out of the motor is still good. I will also have to go through the entire wire harness. I don’t trust it due to what I have seen already.

Will post pics when I am able.
Matt

1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 am

May I suggest timing belts to your list before you try to run it. Not too expensive to buy at NAPA parts store, but great insurance.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Wink1018 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:21 pm
OK folks. I am beyond upset with myself at the moment. I thought I got a decent deal on a 1986 GL1200I that was only “requiring minor work”.

Other than that, the radiator has a hole due to corrosion in it. Some fuses are missing. The air filter housing is missing parts. And whoever wired in an aftermarket radio, did so on a 5th grade level of install.

I guess I have to figure out if this bike is worth the time and resources to make it road worthy again.

As it sits, I’m looking at a complete stator to R/R replacement. Main electrical power parts replacement. Front tire replace and fork seal repair. Plastic repair of the faring panels. Radiator replacement. Turn signal relay module. And what other issues I haven’t run into yet.

Am I going to be wasting money and time? Or can I still salvage this investment?
Welcome to the world of oldwings. These are great bikes, but no one I have spoke to or read on the forums mentions that they are inexpensive to buy, make roadworthy and keep going.

I would recommend an OEM service manual first. Best source to troubleshoot and fix the bike. These forums are also a wealth of knowledge, lots of information, just takes some research time. Most of your questions can be answered from this.

Electrical is always an issue, and is probably more time consuming than doing work on it.

The stator and regulator/rectifier should be checked first. Wiring is inexpensive, parts are not.

Front fork refurbishment - parts about $50.00 including oil - All Ball kits as well. Lots of DIY threads on jigs required. Steering stem bearings at the same time - $20.00 for the bearing kit from All Balls. Brake pads all round say $30.00. Wheel bearings front/rear say $50.00 for All Balls kit. Good aftermarket RR approximately $75.00. Stator for your bike just north of $100.00. Carb rebuilds if required are probably the most expensive of the lot. Used rads on eBay $50.00 and up. May be able to take yours to a rad shop and have repaired, it would be cleaned as well, good deal. Thinking out loud in USD, up here in Canada not so lucky.

Look on line for OEM style connectors. Vintage Connections, Cyclemax and Eastern Beaver are some I know of and have used.

Make small work packages that allow you to do the work/maintenance, put the bike back together, then ride for a while until the next work/maintenance package.

The plastics are ABS so an ABS slurry has been mentioned in various threads as the fix. Some members have posted pictures of the repair and these are quite good.

It has been mentioned to do the timing belts sooner than later. You should take the rear wheel, final drive, driveshaft and u-joint out to lube all the splines with a lube that has as much moly content as possible.

If this is an '86 bike, I would be looking at replacing the wheel and steering stem bearings, these do not last forever. Possibility that you will need brake pads all round.

Older bikes are not a good investment from a flipping point of view. Read a thread from one fellow where he had a budget of $3,000.00 USD to buy, do the work required, ride the bike then sell and get another one.

I just purchased a '95 1500 and was told by the PO that the maintenance was kept up, and it was in good shape. Have found damage to the plastics - nothing that I can't fix with time - fluids were not changed that often, crud in the brake and clutch lines. Timing belts have not been changed in a while, and it will need bearings. Doing a suspension upgrade and brake pads as well. Knew all this going in so I have budgeted for it. Also put two '85 Limited Edition fuel injected bikes on the road. Second one took less time and money - sold it. Kept my first one to keep me occupied in retirement.

Do a good assessment of the bike and cost out the parts that you will need. Should be able to keep it under a $1,000.00 USD. Can't factor in tires, insurance and the likes because these costs are there no matter what, but I would keep track of them to give yourself a total cost of ownership. The good thing about not liking the work that has been done is that you can remove it and redo the way you want to - lots of projects on the various forums with good ideas.

Don't give up too early. All may not be as bad as it looks. Lots of good parts out there and deals to be had from being patient.

My last point is that if you like the bike, want a project that you will be happy with after all is said and done, do the work. If not, sell it and move on, always another around the corner.

Good luck.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Wink1018

Post by Wink1018 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:27 pm

I’m not afraid to put in the work. When I acquired my Suzuki in my signature, it was an empty frame and six large boxes filled with parts. I was very lucky with that bike. It needed no electrical work.

I knew going into this I would have to put in some amount of work. I am mostly upset that I was misled on the current condition. Was told that he rode it to the shop and it just wouldn’t start afterwards. I’m raising the BS flag on that now. I was just hoping it was in better condition electrically.

Honestly, I like the 84-87 1200’s look better than the newer models. It’s not in horrible shape cosmetically. Just the black plastic “dash” parts need repair/replacement. If I can sort out the electrical, I’m certain it will be a worthwhile project.

I’m making a list of necessities now.
Matt

1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:33 pm

this is from a rebuild thread on GoldwingFacts forum

after a lot of research, this came down to:

So this would be a good shopping list for a 1985 GL1200I
which should use the same parts as your '86...

Stator: https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/Ne ... tor-21_102

Regulator/ rectifier: https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/Ho ... or-10_105H

Connector Kit: https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/Wi ... Kit-11_104

Rear cover gasket: https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/Ho ... ket-25_103

6mm All thread, three matching nuts and washers

this came from this post: https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2- ... ost5779829
~John

Wink1018

Post by Wink1018 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:42 pm

Here are just a few pics.

Matt

1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Why would you bother with any of that?!
'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:35 pm

THAT WIRING, OY VIE!!!
5th grade you say?
That grade I say NAY,
more like 3rd, all day!

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:07 am

The wiring looks bad, but it's an easy repair. Trace back each bad wire, and spice in a new piece using good connectors- no soldering or taping required. I just came across some low temp solder connectors with shrink ends that will work with a hairdryer/heatgun. None of what you describe is earth shattering, just time consumming. Do some research, source your parts, then tackle one issue at a time. It shouldn't take a lot of $ to bring this back.