Starter by-pass

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Starter by-pass

Post by Solina Dave » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:15 pm

This is likely a pretty dumb question, but I'd simply like some confirmation.
When starting my '78GL, the headlight goes out during that startup. It'll start in neutral of course, and also in gear if the clutch is disengaged. It won't start in gear, with the clutch engaged, as it's prevented from doing so by the clutch switch.
If for whatever reason, I wish to flash my headlight at an oncoming vehicle, and with my bike in gear and the clutch lever out, can I do so without having the starter turn over, and causing severe damage? I depressed the start button a while back by mistake, but I didn't hear anything like the starter engaging. But then, the engine and road noise and wind may have been covering it up. I don't know.
It seems like the starter wouldn't turn, since the clutch switch would be open, with the bike in gear. But would the headlight also not go out when I depress the start button.

Clear as mud?...................Dave :D

Actually I just got thinking. I do that sometimes. That scenario would only be possible with the bike was in gear (clutch lever out) and the bike moving. At a stop, with the clutch lever in, if one were to depress the start button, the starter would be energized, and attempt to engage an already spinning fly-wheel. That wouldn't be too good I don't think.
Have I got that right?

"Assume Nothing"

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: Starter by-pass

Post by DaveO430 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:58 pm

You are correct, using the start button to flash the lights is a commonly used signal. There is no "flywheel" to engage so even if the starter did engage when you push the button while running it won't hurt anything, the over running clutch will just free wheel.

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Solina Dave wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:15 pm
When starting my '78GL, the headlight goes out during that startup. It'll start in neutral of course, and also in gear if the clutch is disengaged. It won't start in gear, with the clutch engaged, as it's prevented from doing so by the clutch switch.
If for whatever reason, I wish to flash my headlight at an oncoming vehicle, and with my bike in gear and the clutch lever out, can I do so without having the starter turn over, and causing severe damage? I depressed the start button a while back by mistake, but I didn't hear anything like the starter engaging. But then, the engine and road noise and wind may have been covering it up. I don't know.
It seems like the starter wouldn't turn, since the clutch switch would be open, with the bike in gear. But would the headlight also not go out when I depress the start button.

Actually I just got thinking. I do that sometimes. That scenario would only be possible with the bike was in gear (clutch lever out) and the bike moving. At a stop, with the clutch lever in, if one were to depress the start button, the starter would be energized, and attempt to engage an already spinning fly-wheel. That wouldn't be too good I don't think.
Have I got that right?
You are thinking correctly, the starter interlock system won’t allow the starter to run if you hit the starter button and it’s in gear with the clutch lever out. As Dave said, it wouldn’t hurt anything if it did, but it can’t run by design.

Solina Dave

Post by Solina Dave » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:34 am

Techdude2000 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:27 pm
Solina Dave wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Have I got that right?
You are thinking correctly, the starter interlock system won’t allow the starter to run if you hit the starter button and it’s in gear with the clutch lever out. As Dave said, it wouldn’t hurt anything if it did, but it can’t run by design.
Just so I have this straight, are you saying that I could depress the start button to flash the headlight, with the bike stopped, engine running, and the clutch lever "in", without it engaging the starter. Just as if I were stopped at a stop sign, and I wished to flash my headlight at a vehicle across the intersection?
"Assume Nothing"

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Post by DaveO430 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:53 am

Solina Dave wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:34 am

Just so I have this straight, are you saying that I could depress the start button to flash the headlight, with the bike stopped, engine running, and the clutch lever "in", without it engaging the starter. Just as if I were stopped at a stop sign, and I wished to flash my headlight at a vehicle across the intersection?
In that case the starter would run but it wouldn't hurt anything just used momentarily. If you let the clutch out far enough to come off the switch, usually not very far off the grip, it would not engage the starter.

Solina Dave

Post by Solina Dave » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:34 am

DaveO430 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:53 am
Solina Dave wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:34 am

In that case the starter would run but it wouldn't hurt anything just used momentarily. If you let the clutch out far enough to come off the switch, usually not very far off the grip, it would not engage the starter.
OK.....Thanks Dave..........Dave

"Assume Nothing"