new here, and some questions, of course !

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
winguyjo
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate (plus an 80 and 81 for parts)

new here, and some questions, of course !

Post by winguyjo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:00 pm

hello fellow goldwingers !

until a week ago i had never even sat on a goldwing ... now i have 3 of them.
a 1980 interstate with low compression (75-85 dry rising to 125 wet) ... no keys for this bike. complete bike ... possible resurrection candidate ?
a 1981 interstate with unknown compression; no keys, missing quite a few parts, not considering it a candidate for resurrection. parts only bike.
a 1982 interstate; runs, definitely needs a carb cleaning. this bike is complete, has keys and will be back on the road after carb cleaning, oil change, coolant change, etc.

it is the 1980 with low compression that i am focusing on at the moment. i have read that even with compression readings as low as i am showing, it's not necessarily a death sentence for an engine that may have been sitting for a long time (sticky rings may free up, valve clearances may be off). i would like to try to get this engine running and see what happens. since i have no keys it will have to be hot wired and i have read here that this can be done by joining the 2 brown/white wires together and joining the red, black, and lg/blk wires together. my question is ... how do i access these wires ? i am assuming that they all run to the back of the ignition lock but what is the best way to gain access ?

my other question is about what i think is the starter relay located just aft of the battery. there is a 30 amp fuse here. on the running bike the fuse is good. on the 1980 low compression bike the fuse is blown and the paper thin material that sits along the bottom of that fuse box disintegrated when i touched it. the 1981 parts only bike has a blown fuse and the paper thin material is completely gone as well, so i can't scavenge from that bike. i am thinking i can just wire in a blade-type 30 amp fuse holder and fuse, but what is that paper thin material for ???

loving this forum. so many well-written how-tos.

thanks for any help you can give.
joe.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: new here, and some questions, of course !

Post by RBGERSON » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:34 am

CHANGED THE BELTS BEFORE YOU TURN HER OVER WITH STARTER!!! Yep blade fuse is a good idea..easy to do but not a relay as such a solenoid. As to wires yep at the ignition can be taken out just two bolts hold it in place. You could jumper at the plug or cut wires if cutting anyplace you can access between the ignition and switch.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

winguyjo

Post by winguyjo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:16 pm

thank you, rbgerson. i knew these engines had timing belts but i never stopped to think that they might be interference engines !

i think i understand you on the cluster removal ... there seems to be 2 nuts holding the assembly to the top of the steering column.

also, from what i read last night, that "paper-thin material" i referred to that is clipped into the bottom of the main fuse box might have been a spare fuse ??? if so, it sure decayed over the last 38 years, but i wouldn't have thought that a thin piece of aluminum would decay so badly; it crumbled to dust with a light touch of my finger. :o

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:21 am

Check out this article from Randakk. It was written for a GL100 but still relevant to your bike.

http://www.randakksblog.com/starting-a- ... /#more-687

Lots of good tutorials here too. Welcome from beautiful Indiana.

winguyjo

Post by winguyjo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:18 am

thanks for the link and the welcome, jack.

have determined that the engines on the 80 and 81 are no good, and am considering myself lucky that the engine on the 82 is useable (the seller DID advertise them as parts bikes, and priced them accordingly) . have ordered timing belts for same. have come to the realization that this bike will not see the road this season (here on the "wet-coast" of canada it rains 8 months out of the year), and i am ok with that as i have a little 2 stroke to run around on for the rest of the summer.

my next question is ... who sells good carb kits for these on ebay ? i see prices all over the map. don't want to buy junk but don't want to get hosed either !

winguyjo

Post by winguyjo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:05 pm

the helmet lock on the bike i am resurrecting has had the casting destroyed. fortunately i have two others to choose from, although it will necessitate the use of a different key. it looks like the fasteners for it are inaccessible until the gas tank is removed, or can it just be unbolted and lifted up a bit giving access to those screws ?

winguyjo

Post by winguyjo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:24 pm

well now ... i eyeballed this gas tank removal and came to the conclusion that the only way to get it out is to remove the rear wheel, along with most of the rear half of the bike. no way am i going through that just to fuss over a broken helmet lock. i will wait until i decide to replace the rear tire.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:36 am

Yup - that's the only way go get it out. I had to do that on my 1100. When I got it, it had been sitting for probably 15 years with a quarter tank of sludge that used to be gasoline. And a lot of rust. It had to come out and given the rust treatment.

Bike sure looked funny sitting on the center stand with the back half missing....

They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll: